South Park Takes on MoToon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's also worth pointing out that the great majority of the Islamic people were not involved in the madness that ensued after the cartoons were published. Most Muslims just kept up their daily routines, minding their own business. It's not like someone suggested going over to convert them to Christianity. I do object to that sort of thing. Also, a demonstration in Istanbul against the cartoons was completely peaceful. No property damage, no one got hurt. They didn't have to like the cartoon. Nobody does. Personally, I don't. But I agree with A_Wanderer and others, no one's religious beliefs are beyond criticism, including mine. My friend can say "Fuck the Pope" all he wants. I'm not going to stop going to mass. The unbeliever's rights have got to be respected as well.

Last edited:
It's also worth pointing out that in Turkey, the right to practice religion exists, but so does the right of the unbeliever. Hell, Ataturk was a militant unbeliever. He used to drink raki, the Turkish brandy, in public. He abolished the use of Islamic law, the caliphate, and actually went a little overboard in abolishing the Dervish lodges, and made many reforms that modernized the country. The cartoons weren't published in Turkey. They just didn't think it was that big a deal except for the prime minister of Turkey teaming up with the prime minister of Spain to write an article addressing the controvery. I've posted the link elsewhere in this thread, but if you want to read it and can't find the link just go to the Turkish embassy web site, it's there, as is a really good article by a writer for the Christian Science Monitor. Many Turks enjoy a drink of wine, beer, or raki, keep wine cellars, and are very fond of nightlife which includes imbibing their favorite drink. If they don't want to practice Islam they don't have to. It's not perfect, they still have a problem with honor killings and violence against women in general, but they're making progress.

Last edited:
It's good that arbiters of proper speech still have the moral fortitude to stand up for freedom
Comedy Central Censored Mohammed

I'm not sure if it's been reported yet, but for what it's worth, I just got off the phone with a Comedy Central spokesman. I asked him about last night's episode of South Park in which, at a moment right before the prophet Mohammed was supposed to make a cameo, the words, "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Mohammed on their network" appeared on the screen.

I asked him whether this truly was Comedy Central's decision or whether this was just another gag (with South Park, you never know). He said:"They reflected it accurately. That was a Comedy Central decision."

Just in case there was any confusion, that settles it. Comedy Central censored the image.
link

Back
Top Bottom