South Park Takes on MoToon - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Are you basing this conclusion on a statement of the artist or on the response to the cartoon?
The guy didn't talk to the press. But the picture was pretty damn hostile, and hostility and malice are first cousins.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
But one does not wipe out the other, humanist philosophers in Christian states do not undo the barbarism inflicted by religious zealotry, even though they were each a product of the underlying principles.
Fair enough. We can't do anything about the Wahhabists or the Deobandis, the spiritual ancestors of the Taliban. The cartoon annoys me nonetheless. I don't have to like it.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

It's too late to edit my post, but I still don't consider the cartoon fair. It's unfair to every peaceful Muslim on the planet.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It's unfair to every peaceful Muslim on the planet.
First I want to say that I think the continued publication of the cartoons was nothing more than agitation and we all could have done with some cultural sensitivity.

But I'm not really sure how it's unfair to every Muslim? If the implication is that Mohammed is a terrorist - so? Some people believe that, wrongly or rightly.

As a Christian, if somebody suggests that Jesus was a lunatic and didn't rise from the dead, I don't feel that's unfair to me. Say whatever you want, it doesn't affect my beliefs at all. Much of the Muslim response to the cartoons was completely over the top.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:23 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 AM
AKA the "if you can't hack the criticism then you truly deserve it" line of thinking

Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

As a Christian, if somebody suggests that Jesus was a lunatic and didn't rise from the dead, I don't feel that's unfair to me. Say whatever you want, it doesn't affect my beliefs at all.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
AKA the "if you can't hack the criticism then you truly deserve it" line of thinking

Can you say "I screwed up?" and "Where's my white flag?" Hell, I'm not normally this touchy if someone says "Fuck the Pope". I've been having a terrible time with Yahoo over my site and haven't been in a great mood. In fact, they've got me on hold right now. I wish I were a little more Internet savvy and could just move my damn site. I say "Fuck Yahoo!" I really don't like them at all. Geocities was great before Yahoo got hold of it. I'm really pissed off at Yahoo. To hell with the cartoon. I doubt if many Turks, especially, particularly minded the cartoon. Hell, alot of them keep wine cellars and don't mind criticizing certain aspects of Islam themselves. Many books very critical of the Wahhabists and other Islamic nutcases have been published in Istanbul. One of those writers even has a web site with his whole book on it. I don't have the URL handy, but I read it while I was researching Wahhabism.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:33 AM
Quote:

As a Christian, if somebody suggests that Jesus was a lunatic and didn't rise from the dead, I don't feel that's unfair to me. Say whatever you want, it doesn't affect my beliefs at all.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

South Park makes fun of Jesus all the time. I laugh, I shrug it off, I move on....

It does not affect my beliefs.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
As a Christian, if somebody suggests that Jesus was a lunatic and didn't rise from the dead, I don't feel that's unfair to me. Say whatever you want, it doesn't affect my beliefs at all. Much of the Muslim response to the cartoons was completely over the top.
I actually agree with you. I screwed up, and plead stress from my 24-hour hassle with Yahoo.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
South Park makes fun of Jesus all the time. I laugh, I shrug it off, I move on....

It does not affect my beliefs.

It's different.

When they make fun of Jesus and things like that it's just thoughts that they make up.

When they made fun of Muhhammad they based themselves on the prejudice that all muslims are terrorists which in itself is based on recent terrorist events from a couple of muslims. That isn't fair and that is stereotyping. That's why it was off-color.

Sometimes I wonder if you're all just playing devil's advocate because you seem to willingly ignore the facts.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

Sometimes I wonder if you're all just playing devil's advocate because you seem to willingly ignore the facts.
Fact is its a cartoon....and there are plenty of heinous cartoons and stereotypes put out there by arabs about Jews and Christians too. My panties are not in a bunch about it.

I will go back to ignoring the facts now, bathe in my ignorance, and continue to post my thoughts because clearly, that is what people with different opinions do.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:30 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Here is a beauty!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

It's different.

When they make fun of Jesus and things like that it's just thoughts that they make up.

When they made fun of Muhhammad they based themselves on the prejudice that all muslims are terrorists which in itself is based on recent terrorist events from a couple of muslims. That isn't fair and that is stereotyping. That's why it was off-color.

Well I feel stereotyped as being part of a monolithic evil of unbelief. So I might as well take that "negative" stereotype by the horns and embrace the evils of mocking the so-called prophets and enjoying those sins that don't violate the don't hurt people. It's a cartoon, just like the other MoToons - mocking religion is one of the greatest examples of free speech, it guarantees that the right to unbelief exists and I will practice that to my death, hopefully not a death caused by a believer who's faith is so weak it can't be threatened.

Generally the great thing about believers is how stupid they are, it works with quite a few Christians and there are plenty of Muslims on this UK forum that are good for a laugh. Stereotyped by their own words

You can also get people smart enough to rationalise the irrational, they are generally better because they won't be able to knock other beliefs without opening theirs up to attack, I have no problem if somebody wants to blast me for not having faith - it isn't something that one should be ashamed of and is much easier to defend than invisible friends.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:08 AM   #30
The Fly

I felt as though the main theme of the show had more to do with Comedy Central not showing re-runs of the "Trapped in the Closet" episode with Tom Cruise and Scientology. Didn't Cruise threaten Paramount he wouldn't promote Mission Impossible: 3 if they aired the episode again?

The end of the episode said: "Will the cartoon be allowed to appear uncensored? Will Family Guy be destroyed??? Will television executives fight for free speech? Or will Comedy Central puss out? Tune in to see Part 2 of Family Guy, next week, on South Park!"