soul? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2005, 01:49 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You know you are so full of shit. First the mention of others posts in other threads is against forum rules and second if you look back this is not what I said. I was obviously avoiding the discussion of when the soul enters the body by saying someone of her age and experience obviously already has a soul. I didn't say anything about it requiring this to have a soul. It's just obvious to anyone that someone of this age and experience is outside the grey area. So try and use some logic, quit twisting my words and stick to the subject at hand.
After re reading your post, I obviously misconstrued what you meant. I apologize.

I would just urge caution when using the concept of a soul to make a point because it opens up a Pandora's box.

I personally try to make any arguments without relying on religious beliefs because many on this board are not religious and you have to argue on a level playing field.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

I apologize.

Thanks.

Old 03-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Is her soul trapped in her body?

Good question.

I won't make absolutions, but my views tend to separate mind, body, and soul.

We don't know her soul.

We don't know if her soul is thriving inside of her, at rest, or trapped.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:04 PM
she is her soul, as long as she's alive the soul beats in her
Old 03-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #20
Refugee

does the soul have to be aware of itself to be there? i think perhaps it does....it seems difficult to really seperate mind and body and soul from each other though, as they really seem to work so intricately in sink
Old 03-25-2005, 02:51 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
I like to believe that the body is the instrument of the soul to get closer to the world and the other beings.... for me the body is the projection of the soul, the way it can touch and feel all the things that surround us...

I think that when the body doesnt work properly (a coma stage for example) the soul is trapped and unable to comunicate with the external world. when the body dies the soul passes to the next level

beautiful post.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #22
Refugee

i agree that this is a beautiful post...and i think Descartes would agree...but it's tricky
Consider this scenario: If i think my train leaves in ten minutes; I want to catch it, and see a sign that points to the railway station, I will go in that direction I BELIEVE the sign post points. This means that my body goes somewhere it wouldn't have gone otherwise. Doesn't scientific theory suggest that all physical events have other physical causes as their cause? How can something that is non-physical cause as physical action?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:02 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:04 PM
well, I'll use this as an opinion of when the soul meets the body:

"Did I know you/did I know you even than/Before the clock kept time/Before the world was made"

So, I suppose the soul exists BEFORE -- as a vacant thing. It is in need of a mean to express itself.
Then, it's gifted of a bady and of the opportunity to show itself to the other world (Sugar, c'mon, show your soul...)
Old 03-27-2005, 02:25 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:04 PM
Quote:
Consider this scenario: If i think my train leaves in ten minutes; I want to catch it, and see a sign that points to the railway station, I will go in that direction I BELIEVE the sign post points. This means that my body goes somewhere it wouldn't have gone otherwise. Doesn't scientific theory suggest that all physical events have other physical causes as their cause? How can something that is non-physical cause as physical action?
That is cognitive function, you want to go somewhere, you take in information from the outside world (time of departure, location of station) you register that information and make a decision of what to do. Nothing supernatural about an organism interacting with it's environment.

See that's the thing, the entire idea of a soul ~ is it conciousness, is it concience, is it feeling? it is a simple way for us to understand out humanity, to seperate ourselves from what came before. It has no grounding in the world, there is no evidence that there is such a thing as a soul, as an explanation it is more implausible than what we already have at our disposal ~ the human brain. For Terri, the "soul" (the conciousness, the individual) seems to be gone, all that is supposed to be left is a body. In so far as that the soul is gone and is not stuck anywhere.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 AM   #25
Refugee

i completely agree with you...sometimes....but see, once again i state that i don't really know anything
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
does the soul have to be aware of itself to be there? i think perhaps it does....it seems difficult to really seperate mind and body and soul from each other though, as they really seem to work so intricately in sink