soul?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Ok, please do not think I am making light of the terri schiavo case, but lately I have been wondering if her soul is still trapt inside her body? I suppose if one comes done as a strict monoist (there is another term that i simply cannot recall at the moment) then one must believe that her soul is still in her body and her body and soul are one. The dualist though might have a more tricky picture? At what point does the soul completely detach itself to functioning within the body?
Furthermore, what is the soul we even speak of?

I personally do not believe her soul is "trapped" within her physical body consciousness. I believe her soul is in the astral body consciousness and having its own experience, much like when we sleep and we aren't aware of our physical bodies.

Last edited:
i tend to think that one's "soul" is their own consciousness, not a metaphysical "being." when the body dies, the soul dies.

in the case of schaivo though, it's tough to say. perhaps her soul is already gone or perhaps it is "trapped" waiting for the rest of her physical body to die so it may finally rest.

i don't really know. who's to say?

I think the soul is a sorta of little elf living in your head. it's from that that every thought, but also passions and feelings, get started.
I do also believe there's a sort of aura surrounding us... that is the trace of the work of the little elf
(I know it might sound stupid...)

As regards Terri, I dunno if she can think. I don't know if she is aware of what happens around her somewhere in her mind.

I just hope she won't go through a terrible agony...

Raising the issue of the concept of the soul and when it leaves the body forces the question of when it enters the body, a question many would like to conveniently avoid.

drhark said:
Raising the issue of the concept of the soul and when it leaves the body forces the question of when it enters the body, a question many would like to conveniently avoid.

But, apparently, many want to avoid when it leaves too.

Melon

drhark said:

I don't know if it is conveniently avoided, or there is a lack of authoritative (Scripture, for some) description of the soul.

Is the soul eternal in the sense that it exists before we do?

Is it created by God as part of conception?

nbcrusader said:

Is there another defining moment in the development of a human being where one could argue the soul becomes present?

Birth?

Third trimester?

First measurable brainwave activity?

anyone who's already developed enough self to marry? (This from another member of this message board)

ability to sing like James Brown?

drhark said:

Is there another defining moment in the development of a human being where one could argue the soul becomes present?

Birth?

Third trimester?

First measurable brainwave activity?

anyone who's already developed enough self to marry? (This from another member of this message board)

ability to sing like James Brown?

Or when the kids finally move out of the house....

nbcrusader said:

I don't know if it is conveniently avoided, or there is a lack of authoritative (Scripture, for some) description of the soul.

Is the soul eternal in the sense that it exists before we do?

if i were to wax slightly sentimental for a moment, i choose option A.

it makes sense that our bodies are vessels occupied by an eternal love and logic for a brief few moments.

it's a nice thought.

Either way, whether it's created or pre-existent, the question still remains, "at what moment does it occupy the body?"

drhark said:
Either way, whether it's created or pre-existent, the question still remains, "at what moment does it occupy the body?"

when a baby breathes it's first breath?

i dunno.

drhark said:

You know you are so full of shit. First the mention of others posts in other threads is against forum rules and second if you look back this is not what I said. I was obviously avoiding the discussion of when the soul enters the body by saying someone of her age and experience obviously already has a soul. I didn't say anything about it requiring this to have a soul. It's just obvious to anyone that someone of this age and experience is outside the grey area. So try and use some logic, quit twisting my words and stick to the subject at hand.

I like to believe that the body is the instrument of the soul to get closer to the world and the other beings.... for me the body is the projection of the soul, the way it can touch and feel all the things that surround us...

I think that when the body doesnt work properly (a coma stage for example) the soul is trapped and unable to comunicate with the external world. when the body dies the soul passes to the next level

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You know you are so full of shit. First the mention of others posts in other threads is against forum rules and second if you look back this is not what I said. I was obviously avoiding the discussion of when the soul enters the body by saying someone of her age and experience obviously already has a soul. I didn't say anything about it requiring this to have a soul. It's just obvious to anyone that someone of this age and experience is outside the grey area. So try and use some logic, quit twisting my words and stick to the subject at hand.

After re reading your post, I obviously misconstrued what you meant. I apologize.

I would just urge caution when using the concept of a soul to make a point because it opens up a Pandora's box.

I personally try to make any arguments without relying on religious beliefs because many on this board are not religious and you have to argue on a level playing field.

Is her soul trapped in her body?

Good question.

I won't make absolutions, but my views tend to separate mind, body, and soul.

We don't know her soul.

We don't know if her soul is thriving inside of her, at rest, or trapped.

does the soul have to be aware of itself to be there? i think perhaps it does....it seems difficult to really seperate mind and body and soul from each other though, as they really seem to work so intricately in sink

Last edited:
Muggsy said:
I like to believe that the body is the instrument of the soul to get closer to the world and the other beings.... for me the body is the projection of the soul, the way it can touch and feel all the things that surround us...

I think that when the body doesnt work properly (a coma stage for example) the soul is trapped and unable to comunicate with the external world. when the body dies the soul passes to the next level

:up:

beautiful post.

i agree that this is a beautiful post...and i think Descartes would agree...but it's tricky
Consider this scenario: If i think my train leaves in ten minutes; I want to catch it, and see a sign that points to the railway station, I will go in that direction I BELIEVE the sign post points. This means that my body goes somewhere it wouldn't have gone otherwise. Doesn't scientific theory suggest that all physical events have other physical causes as their cause? How can something that is non-physical cause as physical action?

Last edited:
well, I'll use this as an opinion of when the soul meets the body:

"Did I know you/did I know you even than/Before the clock kept time/Before the world was made"

So, I suppose the soul exists BEFORE -- as a vacant thing. It is in need of a mean to express itself.
Then, it's gifted of a bady and of the opportunity to show itself to the other world (Sugar, c'mon, show your soul...)

Consider this scenario: If i think my train leaves in ten minutes; I want to catch it, and see a sign that points to the railway station, I will go in that direction I BELIEVE the sign post points. This means that my body goes somewhere it wouldn't have gone otherwise. Doesn't scientific theory suggest that all physical events have other physical causes as their cause? How can something that is non-physical cause as physical action?
That is cognitive function, you want to go somewhere, you take in information from the outside world (time of departure, location of station) you register that information and make a decision of what to do. Nothing supernatural about an organism interacting with it's environment.

See that's the thing, the entire idea of a soul ~ is it conciousness, is it concience, is it feeling? it is a simple way for us to understand out humanity, to seperate ourselves from what came before. It has no grounding in the world, there is no evidence that there is such a thing as a soul, as an explanation it is more implausible than what we already have at our disposal ~ the human brain. For Terri, the "soul" (the conciousness, the individual) seems to be gone, all that is supposed to be left is a body. In so far as that the soul is gone and is not stuck anywhere.

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:
does the soul have to be aware of itself to be there? i think perhaps it does....it seems difficult to really seperate mind and body and soul from each other though, as they really seem to work so intricately in sink

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom