Sony PSP Ad - Racist? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Sony PSP Ad - Racist?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18101

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Computer Entertainment has defended itself against accusations of racism over a controversial advert for the new 'Ceramic white' PSP.

The advert, which has appeared on billboards in the Netherlands, shows a white woman gripping a black woman by the jaw and features the slogan: "PlayStation Portable White is coming." Many websites and forum posters have protested that the advert is racist and are campaigning for its removal.

A Sony spokesperson has responded by stating that the ad does not have a racist message and that is part of a wider marketing campaign, telling GamesIndustry.biz: "The marketing campaign for the launch of the White PSP in the Benelux focuses on the contrast between the Black PSP model and the new Ceramic white PSP model."

"A variety of different treatments have been created as a campaign to either highlight the whiteness of the new model or contrast the black and the white models. Central to this campaign has been the creation of some stunningly photographed imagery, that has been used on large billboards throughout Holland."

According to the spokesperson, "All of the 100 or so images created for the campaign have been designed to show this contrast in colours of the PSPs , and have no other message or purpose."

It seems the controversial ad is unlikely to appear outside Holland, with a representative from Sony's UK office telling GI.biz: "I would like to confirm that we categorically are not running this advert creative in the UK."

Apparently it is a series of ads, also includes this one

Old 07-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/index.php#1153

Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 07:13 PM
hrmmm.... i don't like it, but racist....im not sure. I mean its all about the new white one ove rthe old black one, so it tecnically is just contrasting colours rather then anything else...
Old 07-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

To me it wasn't the white/black aspect that stood out, rather than the suggested violence of the photographs.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:13 AM
The PC police are out for Sony eh!! Those people need to get a life.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:13 AM
great ads i think - they make a real visual impact.
and they guy in the link MRsS posted second made a very valid point - if the other ad of the black woman dominating the white woman were up there nobody would bat an eyelid.

this ad is about the colour of a console - black versus white - and everything about the ad is about emphasising that contrast as simply as possible - the backgrounds and womens clothes, the hair... so why shouldn't their skin colour be used to add to that imagery too?
its only when we learn to stop seeing skin colour for anything other than just that, a colour, that race will stop being an issue.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:13 AM
I just think the images are ugly. But I'm not their market anyway.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Sony PSP's marketing has been pretty stupid so far. Anyone remember the dustballs talking about "outdoor carpeting"?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:13 AM
It's not racist. It's just using the idea of contrasting colors, a theme which I, as an artist, actually find rather appealing. Some people have to read skin color/politics into every damn thing. That's crazy.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:13 AM
To answer this question, you really must find a common definition of the word racist. The simple illustration of reversing roles in the photograph would likely have made this a non-issue.

What we find today is that people will incorporate a history component in their definition of racism, even thought such component is often ill defined, selective or subjective.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

doesn't make me want to buy one
Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Pretty photos. Crappy hardware.

Melon
Old 07-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/naa...ads-185647.php

"Sony's new European PSP ads have stirred up controversy. Some claim the ads are racists, while other write them off as nothing of the sort. The campaign has pissed off the Silicon Valley Chapter of the NAACP. Chapter president Rick Callender says:

"The days of blacks being portrayed in minstrel shows are long gone, and with good reason. The minstrel show was an awful chapter in history and this ad smacks of that age and time. It is even further unacceptable that some corporations still think it is okay to use racially charged media images. The latest Sony ad conjures up bad memories of when stereotypical and offensive images of people of color were accepted means of selling a product. Sony should immediately apologize and discontinue these archaic, advertising tactics. "

Jumping on the bandwagon, California politician Leland Yee added:

"I am deeply disappointed in Sony's senseless decision to publish this racially-charged advertisement. I can't begin to determine Sony's motivation but I believe this marketing strategy is unnecessary and is clearly offensive to many in our community. "
Old 07-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by dazzlingamy
hrmmm.... i don't like it, but racist....im not sure. I mean its all about the new white one ove rthe old black one, so it tecnically is just contrasting colours rather then anything else...
yeah, in that first ad she looks like she's about to beat the black one up the colour contrast from an artistic standpoint is very well done though, imo
Old 07-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
It's not racist. It's just using the idea of contrasting colors, a theme which I, as an artist, actually find rather appealing. Some people have to read skin color/politics into every damn thing. That's crazy.
I agree.