Sony PSP Ad - Racist? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Jumping on the bandwagon, California politician Leland Yee added:

"I am deeply disappointed in Sony's senseless decision to publish this racially-charged advertisement. I can't begin to determine Sony's motivation but I believe this marketing strategy is unnecessary and is clearly offensive to many in our community. " [/B]
Racially-charged? That certainly depends on the observer. The advert was meant for the Dutch market, not the US. When I spend time in the US I occasionally see adverts that I consider deeply offensive but it's not really my business – I’m just visiting. Maybe the esteemed Mr. Yee should realise that different societies can have very different sensibilities and stop pretending that the advert is a carefully crafted insult against his community.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 12:53 AM
* People from different contexts will read this image in different ways. It is evident that those images are made to create some controversy, because of their visual and conceptual strength. Where's the controversy? as beauty, it lies on the eyes of the beholder.

I don't know how those adverts would be interpreted in the US. Here they would be seen as a little suspicious . Looking at those pics I couldn't help to recall all the things that I learnt in "Visual Comunication" about the place that people gives to different races in the images, and I can start to talk from this, looking for coincidences, bringing up old images similar to those ones.

However I also can see the chromatic and gestual comfrontation that makes the images so strong and that I think are the bases of the message they want to comunicate. The thing is that those are portrayed persons and you can't expect not to touch some people's sensitivities, and that should be considered I guess. those adverts, although they are in a country far away they "won't stay there", they are travelling trough the internet to other countries so maybe the advertisers should consider that too... anyway, those images are doing what they are meant for: create controversy.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Delete.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:45 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 11:53 PM
Creepy
Old 07-10-2006, 08:17 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 PM
Looking at both pictures again, has the overly quick reaction to the color masked the elements of violence contained in the photos?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Looking at both pictures again, has the overly quick reaction to the color masked the elements of violence contained in the photos?
Perhaps. It wasn't really in the initial perception of the images, but maybe that's because I was looking at the color so much and not the images. Come to think of it, though, that's a disturbing picture, very threatening looking.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:53 PM
The fact that we're all having this dorky conversation is proof that the ad campaign is working as planned
Old 07-11-2006, 05:36 AM   #23
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by LyricalDrug
The fact that we're all having this dorky conversation is proof that the ad campaign is working as planned
Old 07-11-2006, 06:52 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Sony aren't racist. Pfft.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

The ads have been pulled.

Quote:

Sony Removes Dutch PSP Ads Seen As Racist

TOKYO - Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. has removed billboards for the new white version of its PlayStation Portable video game player following complaints of racism, the company said. Sony also apologized.

The billboards, which went up in the first week of June only in the Netherlands, showed a white woman dressed in white threateningly grabbing the face of a frightened-looking black girl, with an attached catch copy saying, "PlayStation Portable White is coming."

The provocative image was one of several versions showing the two women in different poses, company spokesman Nanako Kato said Wednesday. They appeared exclusively in Amsterdam and several other major cities in that country.

Sony said the ads were intended only to emphasize the color contrast between the existing black PSP and the new ceramic white PSP.

"We only intended to make a sharp contrast between black and white, but never meant to discriminate against anyone," Kato said. "Even though the ad was perceived in an unexpected way, we'd like to apologize to the people who were offended by the ads."

She said the complaints have come mostly from outside the Netherlands.

The PSP, a portable version of the PlayStation, is a hot-seller for Sony. It went on sale in Japan in December 2004 and the United States earlier this year.

Last year, Sony sparked controversy in the United States with PSP ads disguised as graffiti.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:31 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

People really need to get a life... this in reality probably means nothing at all. These PC people really are making this world a worse place to live.

Every single thing has to be scrutinized under the microscope of these overly sensitive people. The only racism in this situation is in the heads of those who are so upset.

Oh I can just imagine if it was the other way around, the man dominating the woman. Geez the feminists would be flying off the hook.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:49 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Oh I can just imagine if it was the other way around, the man dominating the woman. Geez the feminists would be flying off the hook.
Um. The ad is of two women.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:54 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Haha... oh man I couldn't even tell. Now that I look at the second picture I should have known it was a woman.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Sony is obviously seeking controversy to generate more buzz for their new product. If contrast in color were their goal (not violence, not racism, not sexism.....) there are a million other ways to do this in very artistic ways.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Either way Sony has made sweet bucks with this one......it would not be a suprise to me if they intended to pull the ads anyway...they knew what the reaction would be.....it's definately got rascist tones....look at the body language....take for instance the white female,she even appears higher than the black female in the photo....the second shot shows the black female struggling....and the outcome...well we know that already.....the white console will prevail.....clever imagery....but certainly in bad taste....I'm glad Sony pulled them.