Something to read for christmas,...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh really? Who are the innocent lives that Iraqi Authorities are trying to save and how would any information the average US soldier or airman have, help them in accomplishing this task?

STING2 said:
Oh really? Who are the innocent lives that Iraqi Authorities are trying to save and how would any information the average US soldier or airman have, help them in accomplishing this task?

I don't know. But in Iraqi eyes they are enemy soldiers (probably calling them 'enemy terrorists' or something like that). They'll want military information from them, information that may save innocent lives, their own lives or no lives at all. But that's not important, they will regard them as enemies who may have information. So all means will be justified to get any possible information.

C ya!

Marty

The difference is that our "END" is justified, their "END" is not.

well Sting, personally I agree with you
the majority of the world probably agrees on that one
I'm a bit scared what the future reaction of the (not so small) minority might be though

bonoman said:

And for anyone out there who think POW(AQ) should be treated with great care, get real. These people would do anything to kill an american and without the heavy pressures of interogations they wont say a word. These people are fanatics and must be treated hostilly.

I agree!!!

STING2 said:
The difference is that our "END" is justified, their "END" is not.

In "YOUR" eyes it maybe is, but in "THEIR" eyes they may see it differently. They'll probably use that exact same sentence.
It's not a case of agreeing with the USA point of view or not, it's about adhering to standards of humanity.

C ya!

Marty

It is not in the interest of the planet to always adhere to a certain standard of humanity in interrogation if it makes it impossible to attain certain information that could save the lives of millions of people. Which is more important, the lives of millions of people, or adhering to someone's standard for humanity in the interrogation of an individual?

I feel it's strange to refer to the agreement on how to treat prisoners of war as "adhering to someone's standard"

I thought the main reason we have standards like this one is because we know that some situations can't be dealt with objectively
instead of letting our heart dictate the way we reason we have standards to dictate our reason

I don't think anyone is letting their heart get in the way when interrogating the prisoners. The objective is attaining information that could save millions of lives. In life or death situations of that magnitude, virtually any method of interrogation is justified if it will get the information that is needed to save thousands or millions of lives.

Back
Top Bottom