Something to make you smile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
If anybody has got the blues, this should cheer you up.

For those of you who don't know, there is a website for well-wishers who are following the recovery of Barbaro, the Kentucky Derby winner who took a tumble at the Preakness and shattered his leg in about, um, a zillion places. His vet is not only giving daily updates on his progress, he's set up a message board for people to email the great horse. :cute:

Here's the link:

www.vet.upenn.edu/barbaro

The current top link takes you to the message board. My fave post is the one reading, "My 2 mares, Jazz and Mitzie, think you're a babe...Mitzie requests a full-length body shot but the head shot should do just fine." What's really sweet is each post lists the age of the sender. This site might become one more daily stop for me...:) How 21st-century...emailing a horse:)

PS. Don't link directly through my post if you want to get the full page. Type the addy in, and you'll get the full range of Barbaro links. The above is only a direct message board link

Last edited:
Watched that race. I was up all night checking for information on Barbaro. Hope he makes it.

I watched too..I admit to never outgrowing my rite-of-passage girlish fixation with horses! Living less than half hr from Saratoga NY and LIVING at the track every summer makes it worse..(though I don't always gamble)...

Found the "Main Barbaro Page': (which I didn't know before.:)

www.vet.upenn.edu/newsandevents/news/Barbaro.htm

Guess this a Seabiscuit thing developing all over again, though not on the track....

PPS. (MUST stop adding to this!!! Sorry....just found this site)

The latest press conference is interesting. Esp when they discuss methods of handling disbled stallions in breeding. Technology has improved..."breeding ramps"!?!? etc. Geez...I guess this is now the site to go to when you want to find out how horses "do it"???:ohmy: And the pics of his jockey, Edgar Prado, visiting him for the first time are adorable....*sniff*

Last edited:
I hope he'll make it, he's doing a bit better

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060714...t245VGl24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MXN1bHE0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Barbaro was doing "much better" Friday morning, a day after his veterinarian said the Kentucky Derby winner was a "long shot" to survive a potentially fatal hoof disease.

"He had a good night last night, and even slept on his side," Dr. Dean Richardson told The Associated Press early Friday before re-entering the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals to check again on the 3-year-colt. "He's doing much better."

Richardson appeared a bit more upbeat than he was Thursday, when he told a packed news conference that Barbaro has a severe case of the disease laminitis in his left hind leg, and termed his condition "poor."

Barbaro looked every bit the champion Thursday, but it's how he acts in the next few days that will determine how much longer he lives.

Laminitis, Richardson said, is an "exquisitely painful" condition, and Barbaro has a case so bad that 80 percent of the Derby winner's left hoof wall was removed Wednesday. It could take as long as six months for the hoof to grow back. The disease is often caused by uneven weight distribution to a limb, usually because of serious injury to another.

Barbaro shattered three bones in his right hind leg just a few yards after the start of the Preakness Stakes on May 20.

While the news was good Friday, Barbaro's condition could change at any time.

"If he starts acting like he doesn't want to stand on the leg, that's it — that will be when we call it quits," a blunt Richardson said Thursday at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center.

"It could happen within 24 hours," he added.

zen.gif

kum.gif

:D that was one 'that was prepared earlier' !

thank you, though. i needed to laugh.
:hug:
i tend to get exceptionally worked up over animals. and i despise people who dont feel love, let alone compassion for them. it is creepy and shows someone's true character - not to mention it was absolutely an unnecessary comment.

Back
Top Bottom