something for you dimwits to consider - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
This is within the bounds of good intentions, yes, but unfortunately, hospitals run themselves as businesses. This would require a huge facelift on society's behalf. Just for a side comment, I would recommend watching the movie John Q.
John Q is the perfect reason healthcare needs to change. Hospital running themselves? Hospital are slaves to the system just as much as anyone. We all take part in screwing up the system. I just read an article where our obese kids are now one of the newest reasons our insurance is raising.

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

That's an interesting example as well. The writer usually doesn't have to deal with the publicity that the star of the show does. The most fortunate people on earth are those who can become incredibly successful, yet live as an everyday human being. The public life of a superstar has a lot of costs, and every move of theirs is monitored by the press and criticized by anyone who gives a hoot.
Yeah that really doesn't address the fact why one's making a million per episode and one is making 15,000. 15,000 per episode is pretty damn good compared to most people's salary, but it's the disproportions which concerns me. These disproportions occur in every field.
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
John Q is the perfect reason healthcare needs to change. Hospital running themselves? Hospital are slaves to the system just as much as anyone. We all take part in screwing up the system. I just read an article where our obese kids are now one of the newest reasons our insurance is raising.
They are slaves in the respect that by law you must treat an emergency room patient. If my professor has his facts straight, hospitals aren't run by the government, but by corporations. That's not always the case though, there are about 1,360 hospitals in the US that are run by local, state, or federal government. Here's my source:

http://www.hospitalconnect.com/aha/r...hospitals.html

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yeah that really doesn't address the fact why one's making a million per episode and one is making 15,000. 15,000 per episode is pretty damn good compared to most people's salary, but it's the disproportions which concerns me. These disproportions occur in every field.
I suppose that's a fact of life, although yes, I wouldn't mind making a whopping $15,000 per episode. The job would be just as hard as acting, but if I don't obsess over what the actor is making, I wouldn't complain too much. There are disproportions, but if you have what it takes to go into a well-paying profession that enables you to climb the ladder, you will find yourself enjoying the capitalist system. For some, it's social darwinism. For others, it's a method of finding personal satisfaction.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:52 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,341
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I like the thread title because it doesn't apply to me.
I like the title too because I am a dimwit.

Of course, being a dimwit, I have no idea who this Bush guy is or what sins are.

Where's my Social Security check?
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

I suppose that's a fact of life, although yes, I wouldn't mind making a whopping $15,000 per episode. The job would be just as hard as acting, but if I don't obsess over what the actor is making, I wouldn't complain too much. There are disproportions, but if you have what it takes to go into a well-paying profession that enables you to climb the ladder, you will find yourself enjoying the capitalist system. For some, it's social darwinism. For others, it's a method of finding personal satisfaction. [/B]
Look above you for you may find my point flying over your head.

But whatever...
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Your point about disproportions is clear, I was just putting myself in the example situation you cited. There's no system that's 100% fair.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 02:27 PM
it seems that political and economic expressions are being used interchangeably in this thread, which is dangerous from the get-go i think.

capitalism is not synonymous with democracy.
socialism is not synonymous with authoritarianism.

living within a capitalist system i am an example of someone not inspired by dividends or profits. surely i hope to make a living wage, but i find personal fulfillment elsewhere. to say that the only way people will work or be creative is if you pay them is ignorant at best.

capitalism has failed the masses and it's high time that society stop praising it as the best option and start creating new options. the third world has been decimated and stands no real chance of recovering (they DO in fact have capitalism btw; just because we in the west don't see the shit end of the stick doesn't mean it doesn't exist.)

it sort of reminds me of automobiles. you'd think that after 100+ years of running on gasoline we would've been able to develop a more cost effective and cleaner way to run the damn things, but no, gasoline is good enough. now look what we're stuck with...$50+ barrels of oil, $2+ gallons of gas, smog, a depleting ozone layer, and global warming. good one.
__________________
Se7en is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #52
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 442
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
it seems that political and economic expressions are being used interchangeably in this thread, which is dangerous from the get-go i think.

capitalism is not synonymous with democracy.
socialism is not synonymous with authoritarianism.
Capitalism works best and indeed thrives in democracies. Free societies and free markets are interrelated.

Authoritarianism is necessary to enforce socialism.

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en


living within a capitalist system i am an example of someone not inspired by dividends or profits. surely i hope to make a living wage, but i find personal fulfillment elsewhere. to say that the only way people will work or be creative is if you pay them is ignorant at best.
There is a certain percentage of people who feel as you do, not inspired by profits. That is fine. I would argue that if you're now making a living wage, your quality of life would not increase if we became socialist. Maybe it would increase slightly in the short term until the economy came to a screeching halt. So why take the money from people who choose to succeed and be rewarded?


Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

capitalism has failed the masses and it's high time that society stop praising it as the best option and start creating new options.
False.

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

the third world has been decimated and stands no real chance of recovering (they DO in fact have capitalism btw; just because we in the west don't see the shit end of the stick doesn't mean it doesn't exist.)
When was the Third World ever thriving?

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

it sort of reminds me of automobiles. you'd think that after 100+ years of running on gasoline we would've been able to develop a more cost effective and cleaner way to run the damn things, but no, gasoline is good enough. now look what we're stuck with...$50+ barrels of oil, $2+ gallons of gas, smog, a depleting ozone layer, and global warming. good one.
easier said than done although I believe with capitalistic American ingenuity and free market forces we'll get there soon
__________________
drhark is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 01:27 PM
you fools totally ruined my thread.

if you wanna talk about something else, go somewhere else.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
you fools totally ruined my thread.

if you wanna talk about bush, go somewhere else.

there's gotta be 9000 threads dealing with all this shit somewhere else.
No kidding....LOL
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 05:03 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Thread control is becoming a serious issues these days.....
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 05:09 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Thread control is becoming a serious issues these days.....
yep....

sadly looks back at the AIDS thread which is not even debating the issue of AIDS and policy towards AIDS......

Should be renamed why people are opposed to prostitution...

not what the original article was about....

But....I digress....

Sorry Bear
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 05:40 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
you fools totally ruined my thread.

if you wanna talk about something else, go somewhere else.
Sorry to say Zoomerang, but your thread was entitled "something for you dimwits to consider." You never really held us to a high standard to begin with.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 06:02 PM   #58
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 442
Local Time: 07:27 PM
Re: something for you dimwits to consider

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
"the people on the right, and the people on the left really aren't that different at all. we're all pretty much the same when you don't talk about politics."

and

"these groups are often equally ridiculous. one side thinks bush is here to save them from their sins, while the other insists he's the devil. i think it's quite obvious that the truth must lie somewhere in between."

so often people take sides on debates simply to stand in the "right" or the "left". is it too much to ask for people to be issue-based in their opinions?

I have to disagree about being off topic.

I disagree with the premise of this thread, that the truth has to be in between.

My last post responded to a poster that hates capitalism.

I attempted to defend capitalism.

Is the truth in the middle, say, a welfare state? I disagree.

Is it now considered "right wing" to support capitalism?

As far as people being the same, I probably don't have much in common with se7en, apart from being a U2 fan. No problem with that, I just disagree with the premise of the thread
__________________
drhark is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

sadly looks back at the AIDS thread which is not even debating the issue of AIDS and policy towards AIDS......

Should be renamed why people are opposed to prostitution...

not what the original article was about....

What is to debate about funding AIDS research and relief?

I think there is universal support for AIDS funding in FYM.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 02:27 PM
NB...give it a rest....I am not taking the bait.
__________________

__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com