Some Parents Angry About "Gay Fairy Tale" Book In School - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
How do these parents deal with the same sex parents at their child's school?
I don't know, that's a good question. Maybe they don't. Do you mean deal with as far as interacting with the same sex parents themselves or do you mean how to they "explain" them to their kids? I don't mean to say it in those terms but you know what I mean..

Old 04-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #107
The Fly

I think the bigger issue is that they are arguing with the PUBLIC school system. They fail to understand that a government funded institution must represent all demographics.

Had it been a catholic school or privately funded religious school, they may have had grounds to protest.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #108
She's the One

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Do you mean deal with as far as interacting with the same sex parents themselves or do you mean how to they "explain" them to their kids?
Both.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #109
Blue Crack Supplier

again, i don't see how hard it is for a parent to simply say, "some men love other men, and some women love other women." like, how is that compromising someone's moral values or sense of decency? there's no judgement involved, it's simply a statement of what is reality: that same-sex love exists.

like, i'm still totally confused. there is NOTHING sexual about these books, unless you're going to start telling me that Sleeping Beauty is sexual as well.

can someone tell me, as parent, how they have discussed same-sex couples with their children?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
again, i don't see how hard it is for a parent to simply say, "some men love other men, and some women love other women." like, how is that compromising someone's moral values or sense of decency? there's no judgement involved, it's simply a statement of what is reality: that same-sex love exists.

like, i'm still totally confused. there is NOTHING sexual about these books, unless you're going to start telling me that Sleeping Beauty is sexual as well.

can someone tell me, as parent, how they have discussed same-sex couples with their children?

i did talk to my 10 year old daughter about this a few days ago. i pretty much said the same words you typed in this post.

some men love other men. some women love other women.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #111
Refugee

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by icelle

i did talk to my 10 year old daughter about this a few days ago. i pretty much said the same words you typed in this post.

some men love other men. some women love other women.
I don't understand the big fuss the O'Reillys of the world make about this kind of a conversation. Most kids won't care or will giggle a little. There's a reason christ said we must be like kids to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #112
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
Most kids won't care or will giggle a little.
Exactly. They don't think it's weird till someone tells them it's weird. If no one teaches them it's weird, they'll be just fine with it.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I saw a person I've known for nearly 30 years last holiday season. He and his wife have a 9-year old daughter. I asked this child if she liked "Harry Potter" as she was an avid reader. She whispered to me that she was "not allowed" to do so due to their religious beliefs (Christian).

This man was a good friend of mine at one point - in fact, he introduced me to his daughter as one of his best friends. So I challenged him on his views of "Potter". I didn't care if they supported "Potter" or not - clearly J.K. Rowling and WB have enough $$. I just wanted to know why he was against it. He claimed that he didn't want his daughter reading "Potter" and summoning demons or getting an interest in witchcraft!

In a series of e-mails later, I wrote saying how this view was like going back several centuries. He had not read a word of the books. He had not seen any movies. But he passed judgment.

As a parent, it's his right to say he doesn't want his daughter exposed to "Potter" because of his religious beliefs. It's sad that a parent inflicts their own beliefs on a child, but this is how religion spreads. Still, it is his right. What is WRONG here, though, is that he was passing judgment on something he knew nothing about. He condemned a book and a fun topic out of fear.

This is exactly what these people in MA are doing. I guarantee you that they never even heard of the book, let alone read it, before their child mentioned something. But out of fear, out of their supposed "faith", they are condemning it - and now they are suing the school.

I am very sad for this country. It shames me to think that people are so closed-minded that they will resort to suing each other or protecting their children from children's novels. These aren't graphic sexual books or movies or video games - they are simple fun novels about life and imagination.

What is even worse, is that my friend and his wife fully supported the "Chronicles of Narnia" because it has a VERY VERY weak symbolic reference to the Resurrection of Jesus. Yes, a character comes back to life - just like Jesus - but not because of some faith in God. In fact, God is never mentioned.

Rowling clearly was inspired by Tolkein and Lewis. Just like "Chronicles", "Potter" has magic, unicorns, evil witches, good magic, elves, etc. Both books deal with children fighting evil, resisting temptation and self-sacrifice for the better good. I see more similarities between "Potter" and "Chronicles" than I do "Chronicles" and the Bible. Yet "Potter" is bad in the fundamentalist world, but "Chronicles" is good, because a lion uses "ancient magic" to come back to life - the same "ancient magic" that saved Harry Potter's life (i.e., love and self-sacrifice).

Likewise, this "King and King" book deals with love and marriage. The series promotes the family. This isn't a book on "how to be gay", rather, it's about showing different types of love and families. Yet, these "Christians" attack it. In their "Christian" manner, they are now suing. If they win, what will they do with the proceeds? My experience has shown that Fundamentalists donate the least to charities - almost to the point of snobbishness.

But I digress. Clearly this world is in shambles. If we were more accepting, there'd be no war. But alas, my friend, who is also a Republican (incorrectly claiming how Clinton slashed benefits to the military, while Bush has done far worse) helped create this world. I hope he's happy with it.

I'm not - I hope to change it more.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
Yet, these "Christians" attack it. In their "Christian" manner, they are now suing.
I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

-Mohandas Gandhi
Old 04-28-2006, 12:14 AM   #115
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Parents dont have the right to withhold acceptance of others from their children. No one has that 'right'.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:41 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict

I find it absolutely astounding how this kind of talk is going on in a supposedly "liberal" state, while in Nova Scotia, in what is probably the second-most conservative (both small- and big-C) province in Canada, this kind of thing wouldn't even be discussed.

Gay people exist and we up north here realize it and acknowledge that children need to learn about homosexuality in the context of diversity. Even the Church here supports that.

I guess this should go in the thread in LS about "American things you just don't understand". Yeesh.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
I guess this should go in the thread in LS about "American things you just don't understand". Yeesh.
I feel like I should be asking a bunch of questions in that thread. This place is fucking bonkers.

Melon
Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Parents dont have the right to withhold acceptance of others from their children. No one has that 'right'.
I agree with that 100 % Angela, I didn't mean to imply otherwise

And yes it is going on in a "liberal" state but let's remember it is a very vocal minority. I would venture a guess that most parents in the state and most in Lexington wouldn't be up in arms so to speak over it.

One of those parents, Parker-he had that issue with the family book in Lexington last year which created the situation of bringing the Westboro or whatever it's called self -proclaimed "church" w/ Fred Phelps to Lexington. They went to the elementary school holding up their oh so lovely signs such as "God hates fags" . If I recall correctly they were kept at a certain distance from the school, but it was still an issue for the kids I'm sure, just the fact that they were there was an important issue. I wanted to go there myself and tell them how disgusting and sick they are, but they don't listen anyway. How does he explain people like that to his child? He brought on exposure of people like that to his child, far more damaging to a child than an innocent little fairy tale book could ever be. Or than the existence of love between two men or two women could ever be.

The power of love and of parents' communication with their kids is far more potent than any book could ever be. Why are some parents seemingly subverting their own power? That's what it seems like to me.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #119
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Sorry, Mrs S! I didn't think you had implied that. Apologies if it seemed that was directed to you. I only read the first page, skimmed the second and then missed the rest of this thread. My reply was probably completely out of the loop.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:27 AM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

No it wasn't out of the loop at all, I think it's just me who is

sorry