Some Parents Angry About "Gay Fairy Tale" Book In School - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but what are you "for" or "against"?
I think her right as a parent to decide what she feels is up to her to teach and what she feels is up to the school to teach.

I see nowhere where she says she is for or against gay marriage, families, ect

Old 04-20-2006, 04:43 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

So it's wrong for a school to "indoctrinate" the children that gay marriage is a reality in today's world but it's perfectly acceptable for the parents to indoctrinate their children to be intolerant?

Grim.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:

but what are you "for" or "against"?

the topic in this thread.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:46 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

I think her right as a parent to decide what she feels is up to her to teach and what she feels is up to the school to teach.

thank you, dreadsox.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

how can you be "against" gay families when they exist?

would you allow parents who are "against" interfaith or interracial families the same right to "decide" whether or not their chidlren should be exposed to these different families?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I would as a parent EXPECT the school to provide a forum to look at the book, disscuss it, and see where it fits into the curriculum.

my question, then, is why is "gay" so much different than everything else under the sun?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

I can't see how it can be bad to teach kids that some families have two mommies or two daddies.

Without going into homosexuality at all this is just the basics of tolerance and understanding that all families are different. Just as one little girl may not have a daddy at all and many kids are raised by grandparents.

All of those kids need to know that they fit in too.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:59 AM
Quote:

would you allow parents who are "against" interfaith or interracial families the same right to "decide" whether or not their chidlren should be exposed to these different families?
This is what I want to know...
Old 04-20-2006, 05:14 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

how can you be "against" gay families when they exist?

I was responding what you typed towards Icelle, who has been nothing but respectful in tone about her rights as a parent.

If somewhere in my posts you believe I or anyone else can be against gay marriage or family, it was not my point.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

my question, then, is why is "gay" so much different than everything else under the sun?
Ahh...its not....

In my school district, we have many restrictions placed on us by certain populations of people. I cannot get into specifics....but lets say there is another religion besides Christianity, that we have to bend over backwards for...

And the peanut allergy people want the entire school to not allow peanut products in any form into schools.

Halloween is a problem...There were complaints I played the monster mash.

The Winter sing-a-long, no matter how hard we try is offensive to someone.

Just a few off the top of my head.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I was responding what you typed towards Icelle, who has been nothing but respectful in tone about her rights as a parent.

If somewhere in my posts you believe I or anyone else can be against gay marriage or family, it was not my point.

i have been nothing but respectful in return. i have repeatedly asked questions, and not received answers.

people's personal feelings towards gay families aren't what's at issue here (and nowhere have i asked you what you think, since i know very well how you feel about gay families).

what is at issue is *why* gay families are subject to much, much more scrutiny and parental approval than other kinds of non-traditional families. i'm sure there are many people who disapprove of interracial families, or interfaith families, or single parents. for example, if memory serves, didn't a potential gubenetorial or senatorial candidate in South Carolina say that single mothers shouldn't be elementary school teachers because they weren't an appropriate role model?

why are gay families so much more different than other kinds of different families?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:24 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

i have been nothing but respectful in return. i have repeatedly asked questions, and not received answers.

people's personal feelings towards gay families aren't what's at issue here (and nowhere have i asked you what you think, since i know very well how you feel about gay families).

what is at issue is *why* gay families are subject to much, much more scrutiny and parental approval than other kinds of non-traditional families. i'm sure there are many people who disapprove of interracial families, or interfaith families, or single parents. for example, if memory serves, didn't a potential gubenetorial or senatorial candidate in South Carolina say that single mothers shouldn't be elementary school teachers because they weren't an appropriate role model?

why are gay families so much more different than other kinds of different families?
I think you are wrong on your assessment. I think most parents, due to the relatively newness of the topic in education, would react positively with a parent night explaining what will be taught and why it will be taught. You will find a MAJORITY of the population more than willing to allow their kids attend such a class once the lesson has been explained to them. You will find a small majority, just like with sex education, who feel it is their job, not the schools to teach this topic....

It happens with other issues besides gay families. It is a sign of the times...and I think you are creating a bigger problem, with increased chance of backlash, if you do not afford people the right to opt out of this lesson.

People opting out of the lesson does not = hatred of another group, in most cases.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

i have repeatedly asked questions, and not received answers.

im pretty sure i've answered all your questions irvine, but if i missed any, i apologize.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #59
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think you are wrong on your assessment. I think most parents, due to the relatively newness of the topic in education, would react positively with a parent night explaining what will be taught and why it will be taught. You will find a MAJORITY of the population more than willing to allow their kids attend such a class once the lesson has been explained to them. You will find a small majority, just like with sex education, who feel it is their job, not the schools to teach this topic....

It happens with other issues besides gay families. It is a sign of the times...and I think you are creating a bigger problem, with increased chance of backlash, if you do not afford people the right to opt out of this lesson.

People opting out of the lesson does not = hatred of another group, in most cases.

i understand your administrative point of view, and i understand that parents want to know what is being taught, and i respect that.

but what i don't understand is, again, why a gay family engenders a right for parents to opt out of a lesson (though here it seems like its just a book read aloud) -- would you, as an administrator, even mention that there was a book that had an interracial family? would that even be a topic of discussion? can you think of examples of other family structures that would provoke such a reaction by a group of parents?

my thought is that we still can't separate gay sex from being gay, and that even mentioning the fact that men can love men and women can love women is akin to a sex ed course, when it isn't. it's the same thing as saying that black women can love white men, and jewish women can love hindu men, etc.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #60
She's the One

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Quote:
it's the same thing as saying that black women can love white men, and jewish women can love hindu men, etc.
Now you've gone too far. Where are the permission slips?

Oh wait. That was for the parents to discuss with their own children 50 years ago.