Soldiers say Iraq pullout would be devastating - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

When the President of the United States declares that the mission was accomplished, you don't think he's trying to make it sound like the war is over?

That's what it sounds like to me. It was very misleading. At least, that's my interpretation of it.
Exactly.

Why in his right mind would Bush every get on an aircraft carrier and say mission accomplished if he didn't mean the war was over? I've never heard of a President celebrating a mission or battle victory with a war still going on.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #107
Refugee

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

When the President of the United States declares that the mission was accomplished, you don't think he's trying to make it sound like the war is over?

That's what it sounds like to me. It was very misleading. At least, that's my interpretation of it.
I understand that's your interpretation of it. And his stupid mistake in doing what he did was it would give us that interpretation when he shouldn't have. But you can tell he was at least considering what he was doing because he specifically said mission accomplished, not victory or success or any more concrete and final sounding words or phrases. Mission in warfare generally has a connotation of a stage. Wars are won by completing successful missions, not a single mission. I think he was celebrating the fact that we toppled Saddam's government and made the region safer against WMD (debatable, I understand); not that we won the war and and everything would be cheese curds and beer from here on out.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

I'll ask again since nobody answered the first time:

Is there nobody in this stupid, corrupt administration who is in any way accountable for the chaos in Iraq?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #109
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowlock

It's amazing how much you troll me begging for my attention.
I haven't even responded to a post of your in months.
Quote:

But really I gotta tell you; in all sincerity; I don't really value your thoughts so I don't really care what you have to say and your opinion means absolutely zero to me because I've written you off as just not that intelligent.
I'm not the one rewriting history in here.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I'll ask again since nobody answered the first time:

Is there nobody in this stupid, corrupt administration who is in any way accountable for the chaos in Iraq?
It may have been the tone of your question that kept people from responding. Just guessing.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

It may have been the tone of your question that kept people from responding. Just guessing.
Hilarious.

I'd bet good money there would be no answer forthcoming anyway. Rumsfeld's doing a fantastic job.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #112
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

perhaps we can ask the two dozen or so bodies that are found tortured with drills and shot in the back of the heads how much they like their brand new country. maybe we can ask the head and torso of a grandmother who's been split apart by a carbomb if the shopping is much better these days now that Saddam's gone.

one violent situation has been replaced by another, and the result is that more civilians die at levels that are certainly now greater than the worst days of the Hussein regime. 3,000 a month over the summer.

the fact remains: YOU got us into this, YOU get us out. it's Colin Powell's pottery barn rule: YOU broke it YOU buy it. you can level anger and invective at the rest of the world, and i'd welcome their help, but how realistic is this considering the extreme lengths the bush administration went to flout world opinion and make the point that we-are-an-empire-and-we-create-our-own-reality-thank-you-very-much? when you've effectively said "fuck off" to the rest of the world, how realistically can you expect them to come in and help you the bull in the china shop to swee up afterwards.
Yes, one violent situation was replaced by another. But there's a big But here. And a big if. But if the new Iraqi government can eventually stand on it's own, the next generation and the subsequent ones, while they may not thanks us (see France & Belgium), they will be better off.

And the whole You got us into it and you get us out thing is a fine sentiment; but not if your heart's bleeding for the dying Iraqi's. Then it shouldn't matter how they got in, everyone needs to pitch in to get them out and stop complaining from the sidelines.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #113
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I haven't even responded to a post of your in months.

I'm not the one rewriting history in here.
Yeah you did. You called me a spoiled rich kid or something like that not two weeks ago. You constantly follow me around, trolling; begging for a response. What is true is that I generally don't repond to you; and with the exception of today and the one two weeks ago, haven't responded to you in over a year; not that you haven't made multiple attempts to troll a reaction out of me.

But I don't care to talk to you and won't again from here on out. I'm more than happy to debate others with the exact same reponses and opinions, but you specifically I don't think are worth my time.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #114
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Yeah you did. You called me a spoiled rich kid or something like that not two weeks ago.
Here you go rewriting history again. I never said that, how would I know how much you or your parents make?
Quote:

You constantly follow me around, trolling; begging for a response.
I don't follow anyone around, don't flatter yourself.

Quote:

But I don't care to talk to you and won't again from here on out. I'm more than happy to debate others with the exact same reponses and opinions, but you specifically I don't think are worth my time.
No skin off my teeth.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #115
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:19 AM
Quote:
It's amazing how much you troll me begging for my attention. But really I gotta tell you; in all sincerity; I don't really value your thoughts so I don't really care what you have to say and your opinion means absolutely zero to me because I've written you off as just not that intelligent.
This post, in particular, was unacceptably rude.

That said, this entire thread keeps treading a fine line between barely managed exasperation and open contempt. If it keeps straying into the latter it will wind up closed.

If anyone has an actual strategy for Iraq from here on out to suggest, that would be a whole lot more productive than endless rounds of finger-pointing followed by defensive polemic. All that does is mirror the stalemate that's already out there and I really don't see the point.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #116
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

This post, in particular, was unacceptably rude.

No, it wasn't. Like I said, he's been trolling me for well over a year. I guess I just had enough of it and was just telling him so since he apparently hasn't gotten the picture that my not responding to him for TWO YEARS of replies to my posts that I don't think he's worth my time.

I think two years is patience enough. And I didn't call him names or anything; I gave him my honest reasons why I don't respond to him and hoped that by giving him my reasoning, he would give up following me around.

And I wonder, were I and BVS on each others side of the political fence would your response be the same.

If you need links to his actions, it's pretty simple to compile for you; but I'll send them in email or something instead of wasting even more time in this thread with this.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #117
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:19 AM

Quote:

No, it wasn't.
Yes, it was.

Quote:

Like I said, he's been trolling me for well over a year.
Instead of being rude, report posts when somebody "trolls you" so that a moderator and/or admin can handle it.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 11-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #118
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

WOW; just wow. That is so patently false that I hope you are like 12 years old or something so I can excuse your ignorance on the matter. Honestly, and that isn't a dig or a shot or anything; and if you take it that way I apologize in advance. I'm seriously and sincerely just hoping you're not old enough know better and that's allowed you to have been under informed so badly on this issue.

Here's another pretty low-blow from a few pages back, in response to Diemen, veiled in the insincere fake apology, of course.

None of my business really, but I can't stand disingenuous cries of victimization.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #119
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Hilarious.

I'd bet good money there would be no answer forthcoming anyway.
If you wait a few hours, you'll get your answer from millions of American voters. I expect that you will be relatively pleased with the election results.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

And I wonder, were I and BVS on each others side of the political fence would your response be the same.
How dare you attack Yolland, one of the best, most fair, and balanced moderators ever to be in here.

Yolland is CLEARLY unbiased in the handling of this place.

Take your beef someplace else.