Soift drinks pulled from shelves over cancer fear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if there is a common source in the production of these soft drinks (I've never heard most of the names listed), or if there is a production practiec that did not detect/filter the levels of benzene that prompted the recall.

This is potentially bad news for me as I'm a soda affectionado. I'm currently researching Turkish sodas as I'l want to drink them in Turkey. I wonder if this is also true of their sodas? I can always stick to Cokes. I'm told you're never more than two blocks away from a Coke in Turkey.

Last edited:
It does sound like a problem with unfiltered water supplied to different beverage producers, doesn't it? Hope they find the source before anybody gets hurt!

verte76 said:
This is potentially bad news for me as I'm a soda affectionado. I'm currently researching Turkish sodas as I'l want to drink them in Turkey. I wonder if this is also true of their sodas? I can always stick to Cokes. I'm told you're never more than two blocks away from a Coke in Turkey.

Check the list in the news article - I think you will be fine.

But beware - Coke tastes different in other parts of the world!

nbcrusader said:

It really does!

I knew a guy who only like Mexican Coke because it was made with sugar not corn syrup. He liked the taste better.

nbcrusader said:

Check the list in the news article - I think you will be fine.

Diet Coke as well.

Coke tasted like Coke in Italy but CocaCola Lite does not taste like Diet Coke. (more like Coke Zero)

From what I have read, when the price of sugar went up in the late 70s early 80s, the major soft drink companies raised the price of soda and started using corn syrup.

Since then, the price has not been reduced and they continue to use corn syrup. *it's still cheaper*

Do a "Google" search on corn syrup and this might be why we are now blaiming sodas for obesisity.

I live in the southern US and the only soft drink here that still uses real sugar is CheerWine.

Ah CheerWine, I miss the stuff...that was a favorite occasional dessert and reward for good behavior back when I was a kid. Perhaps you could send us a case for Passover? :wink: Since grain-based sweeteners are forbidden at that time...ah well, it's not a habit I really need to be encouraging anyway.

So the fear of cancer will get people to stop drinking the stuff and yet having your teeth fall out of your head and ending up the size of a house doesn't? :huh:

My family wants me to knock off the sodas because of the calories. If I had any sense I would, but Coke tastes too damn good to give up. I've even researched the availability of Cokes in Turkey and I'm assured I'll never be more than two blocks away from a Coke in Turkey.

yolland said:
Ah CheerWine, I miss the stuff...that was a favorite occasional dessert and reward for good behavior back when I was a kid. Perhaps you could send us a case for Passover? :wink: Since grain-based sweeteners are forbidden at that time...ah well, it's not a habit I really need to be encouraging anyway.

Ice cold glass bottles for yolland and all!
http://www.cheerwine.com/index.cfm?event=getRetro

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom