So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Am I the only person who thinks the American people won't want her as president?

All politics aside. First of all she's widely known as having a rather (excuse my French) bitchy attitude. The American public seems to have already formed a pretty strong opinion of her, and it doesn't seem too positive. I also don't think the people will want another Clinton in the White House. There was so much drama with Clinton in the past that I think people are already tired of the whole Clinton thing. Imagine having to hear about the Clintons for another 4-8 years. Geez that almost seems scary to me.

Anyways, short question. What do you think?

I'd like an example of her "bitchy attitude," actually. I can only think that someone would say this because she's a successful woman. A man with the same attitude would be applauded and labelled a "maverick."

Bill Clinton left office with a 60%+ approval rating, so I'd say that people aren't as tired of them as, say, Bush whose approval rating is steady in the low-to-mid 30s.

Melon

shart1780 said:
Am I the only person who thinks the American people won't want her as president?

All politics aside. First of all she's widely known as having a rather (excuse my French) bitchy attitude.

Have you ever seen her be a bitch?

I think this is how strong willed and powerful women are still portrayed these days. For this reason alone, she isn't electable. I say it will probably be at least 3 elections until we see a woman president. America is still steeped in sexism.

I'm still hoping for a Clinton/Obama v. McCain/Condi '08 race.

As far as Mrs. Clinton's temperament, the excellent book The Survivor covers Clinton's WH years, and while Mrs. Clinton comes off just as ambitious and driven as her husband (and much more ideological, at least in the early days -- time seems to have matured her, politically speaking), it's Bill's rage that gets more attention -- something that I'm surprised was overshadowed by his wife's presumed "bitchyness."

nathan1977 said:
I'm still hoping for a Clinton/Obama v. McCain/Condi '08 race.

This would be interesting, but won't happen, at least not in 08.

African Americans?

Women?

No we've taken too many steps backwardss socially in the Bush years...

I don't think she's electable and I'm always amazed that so many Democrats see her as the Great Hope of the Democratic party.

The reasons she's not electable say more about our electorate than they do her though.

I disagree though. I think we could see a woman or African American candidate but I think they'd have to come through the Republican party.

maycocksean said:

I disagree though. I think we could see a woman or African American candidate but I think they'd have to come through the Republican party.

Wow:ohmy:

I'm complete opposite.

You really think a party that supports pharmacists objecting to birthcontrol, you still have many holding elected position that think the feminist movement brought down society, and I won't even go into race would vote in a woman or African American?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
This would be interesting, but won't happen, at least not in 08.

African Americans?

Women?

No we've taken too many steps backwardss socially in the Bush years...

It never ceases to amaze me how just about any issue can get tied to the GWB administration.

The latest polls show Hillary second behind Edwards as a Democratic candidate - and Condi fare very well with Republicans.

nbcrusader said:

It never ceases to amaze me how just about any issue can get tied to the GWB administration.
It never ceases to amaze me the steps we've taken backwards in the past 6 years.

nbcrusader said:

The latest polls show Hillary second behind Edwards as a Democratic candidate - and Condi fare very well with Republicans.

We both know the last two elections came down to middle America, I wonder how they would poll?

The first female or minority president will be a Republican. This president will then work extra hard to prove that he/she too can be a stubborn white male that gets nothing done, blatantly lies to the American public, and can start an endless, undefinable war.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow:ohmy:

I'm complete opposite.

You really think a party that supports pharmacists objecting to birthcontrol, you still have many holding elected position that think the feminist movement brought down society, and I won't even go into race would vote in a woman or African American?

Yeah actually, I do. Because there are women (like Condi Rice) and African Americans (like Clarence Thomas) who support a conservative agenda. And I think the Republican party would love to have a "diverse" face up there to help encourage voters (like women and blacks, especially blacks) to swing their way.

See I think the reasons that Republicans have done so well in recent years have less to do with the things you've mentioned and more to do with something else. I was thinking about starting a thread on this but I guess I'll just throw out the concept here, and see what people make of it:

Republicans "make the better movie." In a world where increasingly we demand that politics entertain us, the Republican party has the edge. They have the elments that make for a great blockbuster. Good guys vs. bad guys. Little guy agains the Big Government. It's about kicking ass and taking names. Being strong, confident. Knowing where you stand. It's about charisma. Republicans have done a better job of going for the gut, appealing to our emotions (postive ones such as optimism as well as negative ones like fear). I mean you listen to your conservative talk radio--your Hannity, your Limbaugh, and listen to how they talk. Man, they just shut those liberals DOWN! It's entertaining.

It's not that Democrats can't do it too. After all we have Jon Stewart, and Bill Clinton was nothing if not charismatic and entertaining. But, I think the Republicans, in general, have mastered the art of 'politics as a movie' far better than the Democrats have.

Now, before I got attacked by all the conservatives here. I'm not implying that the conservative viewpoints are inherently shallow or anti-intellectual. This is not about the validity of one point of view or another. It's about the fact that we (and I include myself in this) as a country are more and more demanding that everything we see, read, hear, be entertaining. And I just happen to believe that the Republican party has done a better job that. After all, when one of the big concerns about Al Gore in 2000 was his "wooden-ness" clearly other things are becoming more important.

shart1780 said:

All politics aside. First of all she's widely known as having a rather (excuse my French) bitchy attitude.

I find this hilarious. I don't think I've ever heard of a man running for president be discredited for widely being known as an asshole. So, Hilary is a powerful woman - this automatically makes her a bitch? Interesting attitude there.

To answer your question, if she was on the ballot come November 2008, I'm not completely sure I'd vote for her. I see myself going a completely different route if this is the case, but time will tell if I change my mind.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It never ceases to amaze me the steps we've taken backwards in the past 6 years.

I agree with respect to the ability to conduct non-polarized political discourse.

In 2000, were their any women or African Americans even considered as candidates?

Now, we have Condi, Clinton and even Obama considered as candidates.

Smart, qualified, would make a very good president in my opinion.

But the right wing media machine will eat her alive. They'll attack whoever the dems put up, but they've got a list of stuff on Hillary a mile long, just waiting to be released. Nothing of substance, mind you, just swiftboat-type stuff that Americans fall for all the time.

I don't think she can win against a good republican candidate. Of course it remains to be seen who the repubs nominate.

maycocksean, I agree they would make the better movie, but for a few different reasons.

When you're talking about carisma, you're right. The left has lost that, for the time being. You have those trying to cater, therefore come off as wooden, or you have those that are too passionate, that it comes off as angry or even crazy.

The left has lost it's unity, therefore you may be right as far as the first Republican minority president. But, if the left finds it's unity, there's no way.

Yes the right has Condi BUT I honestly think the deciding factors of the last two elections which came down to the "moral middle america" isn't ready.

So who knows? If it happens this next election, I'll be PLEASANTLY shocked. But if it doesn't happen then, the left have a lot of time to reunite.

nbcrusader said:

I agree with respect to the ability to conduct non-polarized political discourse.

In 2000, were their any women or African Americans even considered as candidates?

Now, we have Condi, Clinton and even Obama considered as candidates.

Well before 2000 we did have Ferraro.

And yes I think you are right to a certain point. But I think there's a huge divide socially, not only between the left and right. Buy even amongst the right...and I think this may be the deciding factor.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
maycocksean, I agree they would make the better movie, but for a few different reasons.

When you're talking about carisma, you're right. The left has lost that, for the time being. You have those trying to cater, therefore come off as wooden, or you have those that are too passionate, that it comes off as angry or even crazy.

The left has lost it's unity, therefore you may be right as far as the first Republican minority president. But, if the left finds it's unity, there's no way.

Yes the right has Condi BUT I honestly think the deciding factors of the last two elections which came down to the "moral middle america" isn't ready.

So who knows? If it happens this next election, I'll be PLEASANTLY shocked. But if it doesn't happen then, the left have a lot of time to reunite.

All good points. I think Middle America just might vote a Republican woman or African American (mainly because the Democrats would be forced to use the thinly veiled racist or sexist attacks that would normally be used by the Republicans against a Democrat woman or African-American, and I'm not confident that they resort to doing that. What Democrat is going to suggest a woman can't lead this country?) Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries? Because there the knives would surely come out. She or hee would have to make it through the primaries and I don't think a woman or black could survive the Republican primaries for the reasons you stated.

maycocksean said:
Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries?

40% of Republicans believe that McCain is "unacceptable" as a presidential candidate, according to the latest Gallup poll.

Condi better find more Jesus fast.

anitram said:

40% of Republicans believe that McCain is "unacceptable" as a presidential candidate, according to the latest Gallup poll.

Condi better find more Jesus fast.

I know! I find that so sad because I kinda like McCain. But he wanders away from the "party line" too much I guess. . .

maycocksean said:

Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries?

I'll second what Anitram said.

There's been a lot of talk about the "moral vote" not showing up to the polls unless they see a strong pro-life, anti-gay, conservative christian agenda. Hell you even see it in here. So some of them would much rather not vote.

We'll see...

Condi Rice might be the most incompetent political figure I've ever seen. It's mind-boggling to me why people respect her after her spectacular mistakes.

Hillary's going to be the next President. You can take that to the bank.

Re: Re: So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

I find this hilarious. I don't think I've ever heard of a man running for president be discredited for widely being known as an asshole. So, Hilary is a powerful woman - this automatically makes her a bitch? Interesting attitude there..

Nice to assume.

Condi Rice is a much more motivated and respected woman in many ways (have you seen her credentials? Holy schneikeys!) and I view her as a great candidate.

Of course that can't REALLY be true, as I'm a very conservative republican, and she's a black woman
:der:

Re: Re: Re: So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

shart1780 said:

Nice to assume.

Condi Rice is a much more motivated and respected woman in many ways (have you seen her credentials? Holy schneikeys!) and I view her as a great candidate.

Her credentials so far is cronyism, we haven't actually seen her own views, but lets wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom