So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 PM   #106
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:38 PM
is john kerry running for president in 2008?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #107
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
is john kerry running for president in 2008?

most likely.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Here's my list of possible Dem candidates (no particular order):
Hillary Clinton
John Kerry
John Edwards
Evan Bayh
Russ Feingold
Joe Biden
Barack Obama
Wesley Clark
Bill Richardson

Did I leave off anyone?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Here's my list of possible Dem candidates (no particular order):
Hillary Clinton
John Kerry
John Edwards
Evan Bayh
Russ Feingold
Joe Biden
Barack Obama
Wesley Clark
Bill Richardson

Did I leave off anyone?
There have been the usual Gore rumors, too, but it's probably too early to tell. Otherwise, I think you've got all of 'em.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:58 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:38 AM
Hillary Clinton will be the next President of the United States. You can take that to the bank. The Clintons don't get swift-boated, they run incredibly effective and scrappy campaigns, and they don't lose elections.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

I'm sure he knew the reporter didn't tape it it so he figures he can just deny it. He's quite lame.

(AP) Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton accused her Republican challenger of getting into "swampy territory" after he was quoted Monday as saying that Clinton was unattractive when she was younger and that she had a lot of work done on herself. John Spencer denied discussing the senator's looks during a conversation with a New York Daily News reporter.

The tabloid quoted Spencer as saying: "You ever see a picture of her back then? Whew. I don't know why Bill married her."

Spencer, former mayor of the New York City suburb of Yonkers, was also quoted as saying that Clinton underwent millions of dollars of "work" and "looks good now."

During a campaign stop at a senior citizens center in Watervliet, just outside Albany, Clinton said: "It's unfortunate that when you don't have anything positive to say about the issues that we can get off in some pretty swampy territory."

After the newspaper came out, Spencer said the comments were "a fabrication. I would never call Hillary Clinton ugly. That's outrageous. I didn't do it."

The newspaper's front-page headline screamed "GETTING UGLY."

The reporter, Ben Smith, spoke with Spencer during a flight Friday from New York City to Rochester. He told the AP that Spencer made the comments as Spencer, his wife and Smith sat together. He said he did not tape-record the comments but took notes on his Blackberry.

Clinton adviser Howard Wolfson said Clinton has had no plastic surgery or similar appearance-enhancing work.

"I'm not sure what's worse, that Mr. Spencer made these insulting comments or that instead of owning up and apologizing for them, he is lying about them," Wolfson added. "Either way, it's clear that he is unfit for the U.S. Senate."

Clinton joked with reporters during her stop in Watervliet that "my high-school picture was cute." It was also on the tabloid's front page.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:00 PM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

most likely.

Ok, it's all out now. I feel better.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:28 AM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Re: Spencer

If his comments were quoted accurately and I have no reason right now to believe they weren't (denial notwithstanding), it's a nice little tie-in to the thread on women's physical image. Slam a man on his ideas. Slam a woman on her looks.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:02 AM   #114
Refugee

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Let us pray for Obama!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

but if john kerry runs for president, won't he have the most money to spend on the campaign (from the last election - i remember that he far from used all of the donated money)? - and probably the biggest backing in the party, too.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #116
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by blueyedpoet
Let us pray for Obama!

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I just want to see what he does over a little more than two years.

That said, when I saw the magazines with his picture on the cover and "2008", I admit getting a bit .
Old 10-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #117
ONE
love, blood, life

who is the most likely republican candidate, do you think?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Re: Spencer

If his comments were quoted accurately and I have no reason right now to believe they weren't (denial notwithstanding), it's a nice little tie-in to the thread on women's physical image. Slam a man on his ideas. Slam a woman on her looks.
Exactly-and where are the men slamming Spencer? *sound of crickets chirping*

This is what the reporter says in today's NY Daily News

What John Spencer said, blow by blow

At least John Spencer didn't call her a lesbian.

The former mayor of Yonkers kept busy yesterday trying to hide from snide comments he made to me about Sen. Hillary Clinton - but then found himself apologizing for yet another remark he says he may or may not have made.

Before his two debates against Clinton, Spencer reportedly joked to The Journal News of Westchester, "As long as I don't call her a lesbian, I'm okay."

Spencer said he didn't recall whether he used the word lesbian, but apologized if he had.

He was less remorseful for the remarks he made to me about Clinton, or for some slightly less caustic digs about Republican running mate Jeanine Pirro - who wasn't exactly rushing to his defense. "No one really takes John Spencer seriously," Pirro spokesman John Gallagher said.

But with Spencer calling my account of the conversation a "fabrication," it seems useful to supply some context.

Spencer and his wife, Kathy, by chance, sat beside me on a Friday morning JetBlue flight to Rochester. Spencer read The New York Times, I read The New Yorker, and early in the trip, Kathy opened New York magazine to its cover story on Al and Jeanine Pirro, the troubled state attorney general candidate.

The story prompted John Spencer to offer his opinion that Jeanine was a smart woman with potential, but who listened too closely to her consultants.

He also said that, as a recovering alcoholic, he understood and sympathized with Al's psychological problems.

The casual conversation then turned to a black-and-white picture of Pirro, dated to 1978, that appeared in the magazine. The three of us remarked on how much her looks have changed, and speculated (fairly cattily, on all sides) on whether she'd had "work" - that is, plastic surgery.

"Work?" Spencer interjected. "What about Hillary?"

Spencer then launched into an unprovoked riff about Clinton's appearance.

"You ever see a picture of her back then? Whew," he said of Clinton's youth. "I don't know why Bill married her." He speculated she'd had "millions of dollars" of plastic surgery, and added that she looks good now. Spencer observed that "both of them" [Clinton and Pirro] must have had work done.

The candidate also dwelled on his own comparison between his unvarnished willingness to speak the truth and the heavily managed campaigns of Clinton and Pirro.

But his own story appeared to change overnight. His campaign manager, Rob Ryan, called The News on Sunday night to belittle the impending cover story as "gotcha s--t" - but didn't deny his boss' quotes. Once The News hit the stands yesterday, Spencer got started on his denials.

He veered between defending Clinton's honor and suggesting she had planted the story to overshadow his performance in two debates. On MSNBC, he suggested I'm "on Clinton's payroll."

And the only talk of an apology came later in the day, when his campaign manager demanded The News apologize - not to Spencer, but to Clinton, my supposed boss.

Originally published on October 24, 2006
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #119
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Exactly-and where are the men slamming Spencer? *sound of crickets chirping*

do you mean in here or out there?

because, if you mean in here, i don't think that's fair.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Well I meant more "out there" but I've come to not expect it in here (except for you and a few others, probably a handful or slightly more than a handful). I don't see what's unfair about that, it's just reality from my time here and my observations.