So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Good Lord

Old 07-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wow

I'm complete opposite.

You really think a party that supports pharmacists objecting to birthcontrol, you still have many holding elected position that think the feminist movement brought down society, and I won't even go into race would vote in a woman or African American?
Yeah actually, I do. Because there are women (like Condi Rice) and African Americans (like Clarence Thomas) who support a conservative agenda. And I think the Republican party would love to have a "diverse" face up there to help encourage voters (like women and blacks, especially blacks) to swing their way.

See I think the reasons that Republicans have done so well in recent years have less to do with the things you've mentioned and more to do with something else. I was thinking about starting a thread on this but I guess I'll just throw out the concept here, and see what people make of it:

Republicans "make the better movie." In a world where increasingly we demand that politics entertain us, the Republican party has the edge. They have the elments that make for a great blockbuster. Good guys vs. bad guys. Little guy agains the Big Government. It's about kicking ass and taking names. Being strong, confident. Knowing where you stand. It's about charisma. Republicans have done a better job of going for the gut, appealing to our emotions (postive ones such as optimism as well as negative ones like fear). I mean you listen to your conservative talk radio--your Hannity, your Limbaugh, and listen to how they talk. Man, they just shut those liberals DOWN! It's entertaining.

It's not that Democrats can't do it too. After all we have Jon Stewart, and Bill Clinton was nothing if not charismatic and entertaining. But, I think the Republicans, in general, have mastered the art of 'politics as a movie' far better than the Democrats have.

Now, before I got attacked by all the conservatives here. I'm not implying that the conservative viewpoints are inherently shallow or anti-intellectual. This is not about the validity of one point of view or another. It's about the fact that we (and I include myself in this) as a country are more and more demanding that everything we see, read, hear, be entertaining. And I just happen to believe that the Republican party has done a better job that. After all, when one of the big concerns about Al Gore in 2000 was his "wooden-ness" clearly other things are becoming more important.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Re: So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks the American people won't want her as president?

All politics aside. First of all she's widely known as having a rather (excuse my French) bitchy attitude.

I find this hilarious. I don't think I've ever heard of a man running for president be discredited for widely being known as an asshole. So, Hilary is a powerful woman - this automatically makes her a bitch? Interesting attitude there.

To answer your question, if she was on the ballot come November 2008, I'm not completely sure I'd vote for her. I see myself going a completely different route if this is the case, but time will tell if I change my mind.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:

It never ceases to amaze me the steps we've taken backwards in the past 6 years.
I agree with respect to the ability to conduct non-polarized political discourse.

In 2000, were their any women or African Americans even considered as candidates?

Now, we have Condi, Clinton and even Obama considered as candidates.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:20 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Smart, qualified, would make a very good president in my opinion.

But the right wing media machine will eat her alive. They'll attack whoever the dems put up, but they've got a list of stuff on Hillary a mile long, just waiting to be released. Nothing of substance, mind you, just swiftboat-type stuff that Americans fall for all the time.

I don't think she can win against a good republican candidate. Of course it remains to be seen who the repubs nominate.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

maycocksean, I agree they would make the better movie, but for a few different reasons.

When you're talking about carisma, you're right. The left has lost that, for the time being. You have those trying to cater, therefore come off as wooden, or you have those that are too passionate, that it comes off as angry or even crazy.

The left has lost it's unity, therefore you may be right as far as the first Republican minority president. But, if the left finds it's unity, there's no way.

Yes the right has Condi BUT I honestly think the deciding factors of the last two elections which came down to the "moral middle america" isn't ready.

So who knows? If it happens this next election, I'll be PLEASANTLY shocked. But if it doesn't happen then, the left have a lot of time to reunite.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I agree with respect to the ability to conduct non-polarized political discourse.

In 2000, were their any women or African Americans even considered as candidates?

Now, we have Condi, Clinton and even Obama considered as candidates.
Well before 2000 we did have Ferraro.

And yes I think you are right to a certain point. But I think there's a huge divide socially, not only between the left and right. Buy even amongst the right...and I think this may be the deciding factor.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:40 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
maycocksean, I agree they would make the better movie, but for a few different reasons.

When you're talking about carisma, you're right. The left has lost that, for the time being. You have those trying to cater, therefore come off as wooden, or you have those that are too passionate, that it comes off as angry or even crazy.

The left has lost it's unity, therefore you may be right as far as the first Republican minority president. But, if the left finds it's unity, there's no way.

Yes the right has Condi BUT I honestly think the deciding factors of the last two elections which came down to the "moral middle america" isn't ready.

So who knows? If it happens this next election, I'll be PLEASANTLY shocked. But if it doesn't happen then, the left have a lot of time to reunite.
All good points. I think Middle America just might vote a Republican woman or African American (mainly because the Democrats would be forced to use the thinly veiled racist or sexist attacks that would normally be used by the Republicans against a Democrat woman or African-American, and I'm not confident that they resort to doing that. What Democrat is going to suggest a woman can't lead this country?) Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries? Because there the knives would surely come out. She or hee would have to make it through the primaries and I don't think a woman or black could survive the Republican primaries for the reasons you stated.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries?
40% of Republicans believe that McCain is "unacceptable" as a presidential candidate, according to the latest Gallup poll.

Condi better find more Jesus fast.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

40% of Republicans believe that McCain is "unacceptable" as a presidential candidate, according to the latest Gallup poll.

Condi better find more Jesus fast.
I know! I find that so sad because I kinda like McCain. But he wanders away from the "party line" too much I guess. . .
Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #26
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean

Now the question, is would she or he make it through the primaries?
I'll second what Anitram said.

There's been a lot of talk about the "moral vote" not showing up to the polls unless they see a strong pro-life, anti-gay, conservative christian agenda. Hell you even see it in here. So some of them would much rather not vote.

We'll see...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Condi Rice might be the most incompetent political figure I've ever seen. It's mind-boggling to me why people respect her after her spectacular mistakes.

Hillary's going to be the next President. You can take that to the bank.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:48 PM
Re: Re: So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I find this hilarious. I don't think I've ever heard of a man running for president be discredited for widely being known as an asshole. So, Hilary is a powerful woman - this automatically makes her a bitch? Interesting attitude there..
Nice to assume.

Condi Rice is a much more motivated and respected woman in many ways (have you seen her credentials? Holy schneikeys!) and I view her as a great candidate.

Of course that can't REALLY be true, as I'm a very conservative republican, and she's a black woman
Old 07-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 02:48 PM
There is already a woman in the white house,her name is George!
Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: So, who wants Hillary Clinton for president?

Quote:

Nice to assume.

Condi Rice is a much more motivated and respected woman in many ways (have you seen her credentials? Holy schneikeys!) and I view her as a great candidate.

Her credentials so far is cronyism, we haven't actually seen her own views, but lets wait and see...