so when will the 500 000 people of equitorial guinea be 'liberated' - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2003, 06:37 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:47 AM
I'm sorry but I do believe that the lack of support, interaction, or interference in the problems of Africa by both the US and Europe is hindered by racism. It may not even be overt racism but more subtle. A sort of 'over there attitude' or 'it's just them'. I mean really look how recently we put pressure on SA for apartied.

I do agree with Angela that the US always seems to be doing too much or not enough (until recently anyway) and we must all work together to create a better world. Violence isn't the way to achieve POSITIVE change however.

Just my .02

Old 11-21-2003, 09:07 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:47 AM
"Violence isn't the way to achieve POSITIVE change however."

Defending ones country and others is a positive thing. The Revolutionary War was a positive change just as the current Iraq war has been.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Defending ones country and others is a positive thing.
Is violence the only way of achieving this? America has many sucesses without violence.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:21 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 AM
If Equatorial Guinea was truely a concern, maybe there would be a big protest about it. Or are the protestors too busy bashing Bush?
Old 11-22-2003, 11:31 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Well, maybe Germany and France could help out since their doing nothing at the moment in regards to Persian Gulf Security.
Well, if they have the same succes as the USA have,...no thanks. Maybe we could produce some prove for WMD or is there already a Oil contract between this dictator and the Bush goverment ?
Old 11-22-2003, 11:34 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
"self proclaimed leader of the free world"..
You are right that this was the case in the past. But now a lot of people do not want the USA as a world leader anymore, we hear a lot of "if you not with us, you are against us".
Old 11-22-2003, 06:38 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Angela Harlem,

"Is violence the only way of achieving this? America has many sucesses without violence."

It depends on the situation. The only way to unseat Saddam was through large scale military operations. Other ways were tried for 12 years and they all failed.

Policeman where you live carry weapons because they are necessary in defending your community in certain situations. America does have many success without violence because those particular senerio's could be solved without the need for any type of "military force". Other situations are not suceptible to other forms of action and in those cases, military force is necessary.

RONO,

"Well, if they have the same succes as the USA have,...no thanks."

The USA has been very successful in rebuilding Iraq although there remains a mountain of work to do. That of course makes it easy for critics to say that something is a failure because there is still so much work to do, but that reasoning ignores the realities involved in nation building with a country that has been dominated by dictator for 30 years.

"Maybe we could produce some prove for WMD or is there already a Oil contract between this dictator and the Bush goverment ?"

The USA and other members of the UN were never required to prove that Iraq still had this WMD or that WMD. It was SADDAM's responsiblity to prove to the world that he had verifiably disarmed of all WMD and he failed to do that. One may not like that fact, but it was the written agreement that Saddam signed on to with the 1991 Gulf War Ceacefire Agreement.

Oil Contracts with Saddam were a hobby of the Russians and the French, contracts they maintained even as Saddam was being overthrown.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
If Equatorial Guinea was truely a concern, maybe there would be a big protest about it. Or are the protestors too busy bashing Bush?
do you contend that its not a concern?
based on what is presented in the article, id say its very much a concern for the people of the nation: dictatorial leader, diverted money going to all the wrong purposes, human rights abuses, american embassy being reopened after no change in rights of citizens.

sounds troublesome to me.

i think you're smart enough to know protesting against bush has become a popular yet frivolous act. i wouldnt judge numbers at protests as directly indicative of the trouble inherent in the subject.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:10 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:47 AM
I saw this last sunday on 60 Minutes and was appalled when I saw Obiang walking around these desperately poor people handing out whatever he had in his hands. and the son walks into a mens shop in the US or south of france where he loves to hang out, and buys nearly 200 of the most expensive suits in the shop. It showed pictures of the mansions he's building, again, in the US and France. It's disgusting. Exxon Mobil Corp. and Amerada Hess should be held accountable for the human rights violations as well as the US and other countries who are benefiting from this oil. Will they never learn from the mistakes of the past. This is Saddam/Iraq all over again. When Obiang has enough money there will be weapons of some kind of destruction on these islands as well. Right now it's just the weapon of keeping the people enslaved. Almost makes me wish I used Exxon gas so I could quit using it. Hell, I probably do use it and don't know it.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:50 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Equatorial Guinea is sitting on enough oil to have a major impact on the people who live there, but not on the rest of the world or even South West Africa.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:00 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Sting,
Where does your info on how much oil there is in this country come from? Do you have any info on oil resources in other African countries?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:13 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Equiterial Guinea has proven oil reserves of .56 Billion barrels. By comparison this is what the top 10 countries have when looking at oil reserves:

Saudi Arabia 261.7 Billion barrels
Iraq 115 Billion barrels
Iran 99.1 Billion barrels
Kuwait 98.9 Billion barrels
United Arab Emirates 62.8 Billion barrels
Russia 53.9 Billion barrels
Venezuela 50.2 Billion barrels
Libya 30 Billion barrels
Nigeria 30 Billion barrels
China 29.5 Billion barrels

I got this information from these two websites:

http://216.239.37.104/search?hl=en&q...ves%22+Country