so... what's wrong with the labour party? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Even with mandatory voting, that idiot Howard was re-elected, what, 3 or 4 times in Australia? Back in 2004, it was patently obvious that his policies, especially the global ones, were borderline absurd, and he was still re-elected.

I think the UK/Canada parallels are interesting in that when Chretien and Blair were elected, there was a sense of opportunity which was whittled away with time. Although interestingly, Chretien will most likely be remembered fondly and continues to be regarded rather positively (this has to do mostly with him basically telilng Bush to go F himself on a number of issues), while Blair will pay for his decisions when viewed by historians.

The one thing I never really understood about UK politics of the last decade or so is the outrage regarding university tuition fees.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Even with mandatory voting, that idiot Howard was re-elected, what, 3 or 4 times in Australia? Back in 2004, it was patently obvious that his policies, especially the global ones, were borderline absurd, and he was still re-elected.
Yes, but not in 2007. He's gone, now. I submit that under a voluntary voting system, he'd have a job for life (or damn near close to it, obviously I'm exaggerating a little for effect). The people he pissed off would have stayed home, mostly. And that would have been that.

On the one hand, we elected an idiot (or more accurately, a mediocrity), but we stop short at lunatics.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Don't underestimate the damage the Labor party here did to their own fight again the Liberals. Honestly, under our compulsory system, it is rather often a lesser of 2 evils vote and when Labor are fucking themselves as they did for about the last 10 years, it becomes, sadly, a case of better the devil you know. Thus, Howard was rewarded with 13 long and frustrating years. If it weren't for Rudd being such a party unifier, I dare say it wouldn't be much different still. I doubt anyone can actually tell you what Labors' policies were in previous years. I also doubt any country would have done much of this differently. If you are faced with essentially the choice of a very familiar, but apparently off the rails experienced PM, or a disorganised and hacked party whose policies are a mystery and cannot even find one amongst them to lead a strong and determined assault, who do you vote for? No one trusted Labor. They gave us no faith, no reason to vote for them.