So What's the Rush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Doesn't it seem peculiar to anyone that, only a short couple months after the inspections that Bush demanded the UN resume on Iraq that he wants war? What is the rush? Why can't the war, for instance, happen in March 2004? Why 2003? Why now?

With inspectors and the U.S. / U.K. watching Saddam like a hawk, do you really think he'll create a nuclear weapon? If that is the case, then there's your "smoking gun" right there...

...but we all know the truth. The U.S. is pushing for war *now,* because what it fears the most is having the inspections *succeed* in disarming Iraq. This isn't about disarmament in the slightest, but regime change.

Whether you think that is right or wrong is not my perogative. Why the window dressing? Why not just be honest? We went into Kosovo not on the premise of disarmament, but for human rights violations--which Iraq has plenty of. So why not use that excuse? Or does this really show, ultimately, the poor diplomacy of the Bush Administration? Maybe it is not only a failure in domestic policy, but also foreign policy?

Melon

perhaps the human rights aspect was avoided because there are other well known perpetrators of this sort who would also then qualify for a 'war'.

north korea has effectively painted the u.s. into a corner, in this regard, with their own acknowledgements of weapons of mass destruction.

following the terrorist attacks around the world of recent years posing saddam as the next big danger is a logical step and a seemingly obvious one for the people to make. in my mind, it is sensible then to draw attention to the weapons he shouldn't have, the danger he poses to his own people, his immediate neighbours and the global peace of the world at large.

melon said:
This isn't about disarmament in the slightest, but regime change.

Back in August or so I saw an interview with Bush (I believe it was "60 Minutes II") where he discussed 9/11, Afghanistan, and Iraq. When asked about what he wanted to see happen with Iraq, he replied "I support a regime change in Iraq".
This was long before the new resolutions, inspections etc.

For better or worse his mind was made up then.

Yeah, what about all of the regimes on the globe that are guilty of human rights violations? There are places like Sudan that are also guilty of gross human rights violations. Why not a "war" against them? Why Iraq? A family vendetta against Saddam Hussein. Are we only dreaming and are we actually living in Renaissance Italy, with all of the vendettas going on between city-states? You'd think it was. Great, because that means we haven't invented nuclear bombs, or bombs, period, and have only catapults, handguns and cannons for combat.
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention swords.

Last edited:
Melon,

Inspections are irelevant if Saddam is unwilling to cooperate. The inspectors are not armed and cannot get pass T-72 tanks if by chance that do pick up the smell of WMD that Iraq has had four years to disperse and hide in a country the size of Texas. The key here is Iraqi cooperation with the inspectors. The Iraqi's have yet to line of the 30,000 chemical/Bio capable shells that the UN found they had in 1998. Iraq claims they destroyed them, but will not show the evidence of the destruction. Bottom line, if Iraq does not cooperate and either hand over these weapons or show the evidence of their destruction, then inspections will never work.

What is the Rush? Many intelligence experts have speculated that Saddam could have Nuclear Weapons by next year. Even if it is a remote possibility, one cannot afford to be wrong. The risk of disarming a Nuclear armed Hussein could prove to be to great. Thats why action needs to be taken now to disarm Hussein before he can do massive damage to the international community with a nuclear weapon or decide he can afford to take more aggressive action in regards to his neighbors because he now has Nuclear Weapons. Regardless of what the possibilities of a Nuclear armed Hussien would be, its not something the world can afford to risk which is why Hussein must be disarmed before he gets such weapons. The only way to disarm Hussein since he is not cooperating is through military force.

"...but we all know the truth. The U.S. is pushing for war *now,* because what it fears the most is having the inspections *succeed* in disarming Iraq. This isn't about disarmament in the slightest, but regime change."

Iraq was supposed to have been disarmed by the summer of 1992. Instead, Saddam has toyed and played with the inspectors for 12 years now. If Saddam had any attention of disarming, he could have rolled out everything for the inspectors when they first arrived back in November 2002 having been kept out of the country for four years. Thats how inspections and disarmament are supposed to happen. The Inspectors are not detectors. The inspectors can only succeed at their job if Saddam is more than willing to cooperate. Saddam has never been which is why the inspectors have been unable to complete their mission which was only supposed to have taken 12 months. Its not up to the inspectors to search every square inch of a large country for WMD, its up to Saddam to line up everything for the inspectors to remove or destroy.

"Whether you think that is right or wrong is not my perogative. Why the window dressing? Why not just be honest? We went into Kosovo not on the premise of disarmament, but for human rights violations--which Iraq has plenty of. So why not use that excuse? Or does this really show, ultimately, the poor diplomacy of the Bush Administration? Maybe it is not only a failure in domestic policy, but also foreign policy?"

I don't consider disarming Iraq to be window dressing. Its been US and UN policy now for 12 years. The international community has tried nearly every alternative to war to disarm Saddam for 12 years. These actions have failed. Just like the only way to kick Saddams military out of Kuwait in 1991 was military action, the only way to disarm Iraq in 2003 will be military force, unless he suddenly surrenders at the last minute.

I agree that human rights for the people of Iraq is a good justification for military action against Iraq in a different context. Unfortunately, this arguement falls prey to those who say that there are dozens of dictators who abuse their people around the world and we cannot go into all of them to protect them. It is clear that there is a human rights factor to the question of regime change in Iraq, but people are more likely to act on that if they feel their security is threatened first, which indeed it is. It is a fact that the USA and other countries act on the threats to their security from other states first, human rights and humanitarian concerns within states second. So far I'd give the Bush administration an A on handling the Iraq situation. It was the Bush administration that got inspectors back into Iraq after 4 years, not the previous administration, the UN, or any other country. They have mustered multi-lateral support, they have worked through the UN, but at the end of the day, they have assembled a military force to do for Saddam, what he has failed to do for 12 years now. If Saddam will not disarm like he agreed to, he will be disarmed by military force.

We both know that first sentence is bull. Hans Blix has said himself that Iraq can be disarmed without active cooperation. It is just the newest catch phrase, along with "if you aren't with us, you're a terrorist."

I give Bush a C- so far. I think Clinton could have sold us on blowing up Iraq by now. :sexywink:

Melon

Headache in a Suitcase said:
taking action after 12 years or repeated violations of every sanction the UN put in place really is a rush, isn't it?

I think it was right for Bush to push for inspections--but we only have had them reinstated for 2 months. That "12 years" figure is irrelevant, because we got what we wanted theoretically--the inspections back.

But we all knew that inspections were not on the Bush agenda, yes?

Melon

why is this argument continuously presented about not removing one tyrant because there are others similarly evil? by that reasoning Milosevic should still be in power along with Pinochet and a few others...

if it's determined that it is not necessary to remove Saddam Hussein from power now, why would it be necessary to remove him in a year or two from now?

Mellon,

That statement is not bull. If Hans Blix was correct, Saddam would have been disarmed by 1993. How would Mr. Blix get into a facility guarded by Iraqi tanks? If a 10,000 man Republican guard Division is guarding several WMD sites, how is Mr. Blix and 20 unarmed inspectors going to get in there to disarm the site? Inspectors are only in Iraq because Saddam let them in. Inspectors can only disarm Iraq if Saddam lets them. If thats not the case, please answer the questions above and explain to me how 200 unarmed inspectors will be able to disarm a country with a military of 430,000 that is preventing them from doing just that. Bottom line, if Saddam does not want to disarm, only military force can disarm him.

The Wanderer said:
if it's determined that it is not necessary to remove Saddam Hussein from power now, why would it be necessary to remove him in a year or two from now?

But we aren't trying to remove Saddam because he is a tyrant, but because he refuses to disarm, remember? That's why we have the inspections that we wanted, but have disliked ever since they were reinstated.

If this was a war on human rights, like Kosovo, then maybe we would have less global protest. But this is about WMDs, remember?

Melon

I didnt mean they were removing because of 'this' or 'that' reason, whatever the reason, if it's not justifiable now, why would it be justifiable a year from now? it's now or never for Bush, the only way to get this done was to link it to 9/11 and the further we get from 9/11 the more difficult it is to sell

STING2 said:
Mellon,

That statement is not bull. If Hans Blix was correct, Saddam would have been disarmed by 1993. How would Mr. Blix get into a facility guarded by Iraqi tanks? If a 10,000 man Republican guard Division is guarding several WMD sites, how is Mr. Blix and 20 unarmed inspectors going to get in there to disarm the site? Inspectors are only in Iraq because Saddam let them in. Inspectors can only disarm Iraq if Saddam lets them. If thats not the case, please answer the questions above and explain to me how 200 unarmed inspectors will be able to disarm a country with a military of 430,000 that is preventing them from doing just that. Bottom line, if Saddam does not want to disarm, only military force can disarm him.

Has Blix complained about a 10,000 man Republican Guard obstruction? Because that would certainly fall under not cooperating fully.

And why do they need arms? Saddam knows that if he puts a finger on the inspectors, he's dead. He *has to* voluntarily disarm, according to Blix's instructions, otherwise he's dead. Right now, he's challenging the order of the Al-Samood missile program destruction...which means we might get our "material breach" after all...

...but we don't have it yet. So, again, what's the rush? Have the UN inspectors complained about the Iraqi military being in their way, or is this, yet again, Bush blowing the horn too soon?

I'm fairly confident that Saddam will screw up in the next few months, when it is more apparent that he is not cooperating, so why should we go in sooner rather than later, when much of the world is unconvinced of failure, considering these fairly new rounds of inspections?

Melon

where were these protesters when clinton went into haiti and kosovo without the UN or a declaration of war? Hmm... ohhhhh yeah... they were supporting clinton 'cause he was a democrat. How could I forget.

Because they were both humanitarian in cause. Democrats seem to have respect for those. Republicans are just known for blowing things up, and leaving a mess behind. Perhaps that's why people are so cynical with Bush on Iraq. Indeed, the response would probably be much different with a Democrat in office. Bush, quite simply, is not trustworthy.

Melon

and bill clinton was such a trustful, honest person

And tell me which president *hasn't* lied to us? Clinton's lie about a fucking consensual blow job is perhaps the most trivial Congressional investigation since Andrew Johnson's impeachment over defying an unconstitutional law imposed by the 3/4 Republican Congress.

Dubya just happens to be the most rampant liar I can remember, covering up everything under the "national security" label--including Reagan's presidential papers that were supposed to be released to the public in 2002. Now there's a trustful, honest president! :|

Melon

No...Bush's biggest sin was using 9/11 to advance his extreme-right agenda. Major difference.

Melon

so the U.N. wants there inspections to continue. ok so after the inspectors are done searching how does that change the need togo to war? if they dont find anything where did all those un accounted for weapons go to? we are right back where we started before the inspections began. If the inspectors do find something then that is cause fore need to attack. so wich either way it turns out we are going to war. i really dont see the point at all for the inspectors, the only way they are going to successfully take care of there job is if soddom hussein lets them.

Melon,

Hans Blix and his inspectors have failed to successfully find what Saddam still had in 1998 when the UN inspectors left. 30,000 Chemical/Bio capable shells, thousands of tons of Anthrax, thousands of tons of VX Nerve Gas. Saddam has to give this up or prove that they were destroyed. The inspectors won't be blocked unless their about to find something big.

On numerous ocassions in the 1990s the inspectors were blocked and prevented from entering sites, while Iraqi trucks came up to the back of these buildings to remove the contents. Saddam is only "dead" if there are 250,000 US troops in position to invade and overthrow the country. One cannot have a force that size positioned in the middle east indefinitely.

By the way resolution 1441 already states Iraq is in material breach. Failure to fully account for the WMD above is a material breach.

Whats the rush? Its the Iraqi development of more dangerous WMD capability, or a Nuclear weapon. Why do you want to wait till Saddam has greater capabilities than he does today? Waiting only benefits one person, Saddam. It also makes any attempts at regime change or disarmament more difficult and costly in terms of lives.

How long must the world play Saddams game? 12 years is enough. Only Saddam himself or the US military can disarm Saddam. If Saddam does not cooperate, and he is not, the inspectors can't disarm him. Since Saddam is not cooperating, he is going to be out of power shortly.

30,000 Bio/Chem shells, thousands of tons of Anthrax and VX Nerve Gas are unacounted for. There are several examples of inspection and disarmament in the Republics of the Former Soviet Union and South Africa. That is how inspections and disarmament is supposed to happen. The process in those countries took under a year. That has yet to happen in Iraq after 12 years. This has not been a rush to war. In fact, the world has waited far to long to effectively disarm Iraq.

"Because they were both humanitarian in cause. Democrats seem to have respect for those. Republicans are just known for blowing things up, and leaving a mess behind. Perhaps that's why people are so cynical with Bush on Iraq. Indeed, the response would probably be much different with a Democrat in office. Bush, quite simply, is not trustworthy."

Melon,

Did Bill Clinton get inspectors back into Iraq or did George Bush? It was under Bill Clinton that inspectors got kicked out of Iraq. Was Bill Clinton successful in disarming Iraq after 8 years? No. Talk about leaving a mess for someone else to deal with. Will George Bush be successful in much less time, I think so. So what would a Democrat in office do that Clinton did not do in his 8 years attempting to disarm Iraq? Considering that inspectors got kicked out under a democratic administration, the Democrats effectiveness on this issue has been less than convincing.

Everybody knows that the biggest sin Bush committed was being a Repiblican. Democrats take great joy in hating him. :shrug: Knock yourselves out, Democrats. :)

Hey, you're getting it, Headache!! Good job. Incidentally, I'm not a Democrat.

Back
Top Bottom