So tell me...are they really so different? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
To avoid a lengthy theological discussion, it will suffice to say that Jesus Christ does not equal Allah.
So, in your opinion, does that mean that people who worship Allah (presumably this is supposed to refer to Muslims, although "Allah" simply means "god" in Arabic) are worshipping a different god to Christians, or that they are worshipping a god who doesn't exist?

Quote:
From a Christian monotheistic standpoint, if you are worshiping God (who is Jesus Christ), you are worshiping a god who does not exist.
That...doesn't make sense. Christians believe if you worship Jesus Christ, you're worshipping a God who doesn't exist? I'm honestly not trying to be awkward, but that doesn't make sense.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:16 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

To avoid a lengthy theological discussion, it will suffice to say that Jesus Christ does not equal Allah.

I sort of agree on this one with NBC

Old 07-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:

So, in your opinion, does that mean that people who worship Allah (presumably this is supposed to refer to Muslims, although "Allah" simply means "god" in Arabic) are worshipping a different god to Christians, or that they are worshipping a god who doesn't exist?

People who worship allah are worshipping a different god than Christians.

This thread sort of rubs me the wrong way, not b/c I don't like to be challenged, but I don't know how I feel about non-religious persons telling me what God I worship and that God is the same as allah, the Hindu gods, etc, etc, b/c He's NOT.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

However, the whole point of my post was to emphasize that those general trends you speak of depend on more than just religion. General trends about religious belief vary between different societies and different times in history, not merely between different religions.
Fizz

Agree with this.

In the modern world, given all other things remain equal ( same temperature, pressure and rainfall ) , people belonging to some faiths are more religious than the others.

This is because all religions are different.

Email me at letdown_acrobat@yahoo.com for further discussions

Just off the topic, are you a guy or a girl
Old 07-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

This thread sort of rubs me the wrong way, not b/c I don't like to be challenged, but I don't know how I feel about non-religious persons telling me what God I worship and that God is the same as allah, the Hindu gods, etc, etc, b/c He's NOT.

even many religious people make such statements...and i dont like it frankly.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:38 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

That...doesn't make sense. Christians believe if you worship Jesus Christ, you're worshipping a God who doesn't exist? I'm honestly not trying to be awkward, but that doesn't make sense.
I should have re-read that before sending. If you are not worshiping God (who is Jesus Christ), then you are worshiping a god who does not exist or who is a false god. (The bible recognizes that people worship gods who are not the One True God).
Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:11 AM
I think Judaism, Christianity and Islam are verry verry close together

Christianity = Judaism + Jesus

Also todays Islam claims Jesus is just a prophet it dosn't look so if i read Mohammeds text Quran (4:171):
Free translated from german to english:
O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: nor say of Allah anything but truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was a Messenger of Allah. Do not say "three" for Allah is One God: Glory be to Him: far exalted is He above having a son. "

And to my point of view this sounds like christian trinity and mohammed is just another prophet of God and Jesus
Old 07-29-2004, 01:29 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

have you ever wondered why people kill over religious difference.

why dont people kill each other because they wear dress of different color
That's a good question. Killing over religious or political differences sucks. Yes, it's important not to compromise your values and principles, but it's also important to respect differences. God created us all equal. I hate it when my fellow liberals slam conservatives for being conservative. I don't think they understand democracy. I like the ideas side of politics; I can't stand the hostility and personal stuff, and I see too much of this on both sides of the fence.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
have you ever wondered why people kill over religious difference.
The short answer - we are all sinners.

Same question is valid for every other reason people kill each other. Religion is no special or unusual driving force.

I'd say most killings labeled as "killing over religious difference" is more likely motivated by power, greed, money, etc.

Millions upon millions have been slaughtered by secular governments (mostly communist).

The sad part is we will keep killing until.......
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:11 AM
I'd actually have to agree with that answer, nbcrusader. Power, money, greed, etc.-all that definitely plays a part, that's for sure. Quite sad.

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
That's a good question. Killing over religious or political differences sucks. Yes, it's important not to compromise your values and principles, but it's also important to respect differences. God created us all equal. I hate it when my fellow liberals slam conservatives for being conservative. I don't think they understand democracy. I like the ideas side of politics; I can't stand the hostility and personal stuff, and I see too much of this on both sides of the fence.
Agreed. There's many people I know who I don't agree with on a lot of issues, but they are completely entitled to think whatever they want, and I still hold the utmost respect for them, because they stick to their beliefs and give good, intelligent reasons for why they feel the way they do. I admire that in people.

Angela
Old 07-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

People who worship allah are worshipping a different god than Christians.

I'm not quite sure if you are referring to me or not, but I didn't mention god or gods at all, let alone tell anyone what to believe. I didn't meant this to be a "defend your religion" thread...what I'm interested in is why do people seem to focus on the differences instead of the similarities inherent in religions. I consider this a theoretical exercise...leave the baggage behind, step outside your own belief and really look objectively at various religions/belief systems.

What I asked was:

>>> Certainly the details differ, and they differ enough to be more attractive to one group than another, but are they really that different? Are the differences worth even arguing about, let alone killing and dying for? Is Christianity so much different than Hinduism in the end? <<<

Now what I meant by this is when you take away all the trappings of the religions, isn't the basic desire of all who follow each of them a sort of salvation?

But since god (s) was (were) mentioned...isn't it possible that if there is one (or many), he/she/it/they are/were able to morph into a form palatable to the many people's of this planet? Is it really that repugnant to consider that Allah really serves the same purpose as the Christian God, or the Hindu Brahman (by the way, Hinduism is a monotheistic religion). The various people's of this earth can't even agree on what is good food, how are they supposed to agree on a single god (or manner of worshipping)?

I'm actually not even saying that what god/gods anyone worships is/are wrong...quite the opposite. But isn't it possible that all of them are correct? That for the Muslim devote, Allah is the one true god; the Christian has his/her one true god; the Hindu has his/her one true god...etc, etc. I realize this goes against the teachings of almost all religions, but if there really is an all powerful god, wouldn't that god be able to present itself in forms to please the many inhabitants of the planet?
Old 07-30-2004, 02:49 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

The short answer - we are all sinners.

i am not a sinner

its great to have people with diverse views
Old 07-30-2004, 03:44 AM   #28
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:11 AM
AcrobatMan:
well you are a sinner, you are just unable to realize it
Old 07-30-2004, 05:17 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
AcrobatMan:
And I thought false consciousness was just something Marxists talked about.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:52 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
AcrobatMan:
how