so ... Mitt Romney. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,475
Local Time: 09:18 PM
so ... Mitt Romney.

politics and policies aside, let's take a look at the man.

much of the discussion from the right wing of the country since George W. Bush appeared on the scene has been about how religion and faith matter, that we don't need and shouldn't want a firewall between political life and religious life, and it's fairly clear that many have voted for W mostly because of his evangelical protestanism.

so ... does Romney's Mormanism make you more or less likely to vote for him?

be honest.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:18 PM
Romney wouldn't make me follow Mormonism any more that Bush makes me follow Christianity.

This is an excellent question as it forces separation of the political/cultural issues from the personal faith of a leader.
__________________

__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,475
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This is an excellent question as it forces separation of the political/cultural issues from the personal faith of a leader.


yes -- this is precisely what i'm hoping to get at.



(eagerly awaits more responses)
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Romney loves to take credit for a lot of things he really can't take credit for. For all his recent national spotlight, it should never be forgotten that he's nothing but a figurehead governor thanks to the overwhelmingly Democratic legislature that overrides every veto he dishes out.

And as for whether he's a Mormon would affect my vote? It doesn't help that the Church of Ladder Day Saints is one of the most virulently homophobic ones in the country, but, even then, his actions and words speak louder than his religion. If he was the same person with the same words and actions and was an atheist, I'd hate him all the same.

So I guess his religious affiliation really doesn't register too directly in my distaste for him.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 12:18 PM
Is he a "compassionate conservative"?
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,475
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
If he was the same person with the same words and actions and was an atheist, I'd hate him all the same.


but doesn't this beg the question of whether he would be the same man if he were an atheist? (and as an aside, could an atheist ever be that homophobic, or does contemporary homophobia need religion to operate? but that could be another thread ...) i understand your point, but the argument that has been made by the right wing is that faith and politics directly inform one another, as they rightly should. therefore, it seems as if your distaste for Romney, by their view, is directly due to his religion.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but doesn't this beg the question of whether he would be the same man if he were an atheist? (and as an aside, could an atheist ever be that homophobic, or does contemporary homophobia need religion to operate? but that could be another thread ...) i understand your point, but the argument that has been made by the right wing is that faith and politics directly inform one another, as they rightly should. therefore, it seems as if your distaste for Romney, by their view, is directly due to his religion.
Well, I'll be a little more realistic in my comparison. Romney could theoretically be Roman Catholic or Southern Baptist and hold identical theological beliefs at the political level.

I haven't exactly seen Romney hold an exclusively "Mormon belief" politically, that's all. In practice, though, I guess most Mormons running for office would be on the far-right, and I'd never vote for someone who holds conservative beliefs.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 02:18 AM
His being mormon wouldn't affect my vote either way, its whether or not he would force his beliefs on others that would change my mind.
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,279
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Who cares what religion he is? Why do Americans care about stuff like this?

I know our Prime Minister is Christian but I have no idea what denomination nor do I care nor do I find it particularly relevant to anything. Especially given that Christianity is so pervasive in US politics, I don't really see any difference between a Mormon and a Baptist insofar as policy is concerned.

Apart from that, he strikes me as incredibly fake.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Who cares what religion he is? Why do Americans care about stuff like this?
Because Americans, statistically, vote on image instead of substance. It's probably why we have a rather consistent record of voting in idiots.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 04-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
His being mormon wouldn't affect my vote either way, its whether or not he would force his beliefs on others that would change my mind.
The problem with the discussion is the broad and varying definition of "force his beliefs on others."

Too many mix the institution of political/cultural positions with 'forcing of religion' - which is exactly what Irvine was trying to avoid.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 02:22 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by melon


. In practice, though, I guess most Mormons running for office would be on the far-right, and I'd never vote for someone who holds conservative beliefs.

Melon

ignorance isn't always bliss:


Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, Democrat-Mormon?

No other member of the LDS Church has served in a higher leadership position in Congress.

dbs
__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 02:42 AM   #13
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: LA, California, USA
Posts: 1,349
Local Time: 02:18 AM
Is he ^ Mormon? I suppose that explains his conservative stance on abortion.
I need to work on my disliking political leaders because of their religious beliefs. Prejudice is prejudice.
Nevertheless, I wish a person's religious beliefs didn't come into play at all in American politics.
__________________
blueyedpoet is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:40 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Romney wouldn't make me follow Mormonism any more that Bush makes me follow Christianity.

This is an excellent question as it forces separation of the political/cultural issues from the personal faith of a leader.
should an elected official use their personal faith to inform what laws they want to enact?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 04-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 08:18 PM
Religion shouldn't matter in politics until it becomes apparent.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com