so ... Mitt Romney. - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #586
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Most ppl now feel Bork was railroaded.

dbs

Old 12-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #587
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

In conservative circles, Judge Bork is an Icon,
Given the fact that a large percentage of Bush supporters still believed for a long time that Iraq had anything to do with 9/11, I don't think they really know who Bork is...

This isn't huge.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #588
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 PM
I know what huge is and I know what small is, esp smallmindedness

dbs
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #589
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
I know what small is, esp smallmindedness

dbs
This is apparent to all of us.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #590
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:49 PM
gosh, what won't he say?

[q]Romney fields questions on King
Campaign says claim not literal

December 20, 2007

BY TODD SPANGLER

FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has said he watched his father, the late Michigan Gov. George Romney, in a 1960s civil rights march in Michigan with Martin Luther King Jr.

On Wednesday, Romney's campaign said his recollections of watching his father, an ardent civil rights supporter, march with King were meant to be figurative.

"He was speaking figuratively, not literally," Eric Fehrnstrom, spokesman for the Romney campaign, said of the candidate.

The campaign was responding to questions raised by the Free Press and other media after a Boston publication challenged the accuracy of Mitt Romney's account.

In a major speech on faith and politics earlier this month in Texas, Mitt Romney said: "I saw my father march with Martin Luther King."

He made a similar statement Sunday during an appearance on NBC's "Meet the Press." He said, "You can see what I believed and what my family believed by looking at our lives. My dad marched with Martin Luther King. My mom was a tireless crusader for civil rights."

Romney's campaign cited various historical articles, as well as a 1967 book written by Stephen Hess and Washington Post political columnist David Broder, as confirmation that George Romney marched with King in Grosse Pointe in 1963.

"He has marched with Martin Luther King through the exclusive Grosse Pointe suburb," Hess and Broder wrote in "The Republican Establishment: The Present and Future of the GOP."

Free Press archives, however, showed no record of King marching in Grosse Pointe in 1963 or of then-Gov. Romney taking part in King's historic march down Woodward Avenue in June of that year.

George Romney told the Free Press at the time that he didn't take part because it was on a Sunday and he avoided public appearances on the Sabbath because of his religion.

Romney did participate in a civil rights march protesting housing bias in Grosse Pointe just six days after the King march. According to the Free Press account, however, King was not there.

Broder could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

The Boston Phoenix reported Wednesday it could find no evidence that Romney and King ever marched together.

Mitt Romney's older brother, Detroit attorney Scott Romney, said he recalls his father telling him the elder Romney marched with King, possibly in 1963, but he could not remember exactly when the event took place.

Fehrnstrom called the Romney brothers' recollection and the historical materials a "pretty convincing case that George Romney did march with Dr. Martin Luther King and other civil rights leaders in Michigan."

The governor's record was one of supporting civil rights. He helped create the state's first civil rights commission and marched at the head of a protest parade in Detroit days after violence against civil rights marchers in Selma, Ala., in 1965.

Mitt Romney's campaign planned today to further research George Romney's papers for evidence of his march with King.[/q]
Old 12-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #591
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
A spokesperson for Mitt Romney now tells the Phoenix that George W. Romney and Martin Luther King Jr. marched together in June, 1963 -- although possibly not on the same day or in the same city.

Romney is so shameless, it's hilarious!
Old 12-20-2007, 05:20 PM   #592
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I marched together with MLK, although possibly a couple of decades later.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #593
Blue Crack Supplier

i've been to the Civil Rights museum. so i was with MLK in that hotel room when he was shot.

it was an early morning, if i remember correctly ...
Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #594
She's the One

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
The governor's record was one of supporting civil rights. He helped create the state's first civil rights commission and marched at the head of a protest parade in Detroit days after violence against civil rights marchers in Selma, Ala., in 1965.
This part's actually pretty good for a Mormon in those days. Considering that blacks weren't even allowed in the same levels of heaven until very recently.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #595
ONE
love, blood, life

I love Grosse Point Blank......

Speaking of blank.......

Apparently the evidence of his recollection is drawing one.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #596
Blue Crack Supplier

kids, i think we can all agree that George Romney and MLK were both alive in 1963.

isn't that enough?

(but, to be fair, Romney the elder's record on civil rights is exemplary for the era, Mormon or otherwise)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #597
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

(but, to be fair, Romney the elder's record on civil rights is exemplary for the era, Mormon or otherwise)
yes the elder
may be a much better man

he was doing ok as a GOP candidate in 68
then he went to Viet Nam
came home and told the truth (much like Ron Paul on Iraq)

well, after that
the guy was toast
Old 12-24-2007, 02:04 AM   #598
Rock n' Roll Doggie

New Hampshire paper: Romney 'must be stopped'

Story Highlights
The Concord Monitor editorial calls former Gov. Mitt Romney "a phony"
It slams Romney for flip-flopping
It says Romney once supported stem-cell research and now opposes it
It claims Romney is dodging the issue of torture

(CNN) -- In unusually stark language, the newspaper in New Hampshire's capital calls former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney "a phony" and tells its readers Sunday that he "most surely must be stopped" in next month's first-in-the-nation primary.

The Concord Monitor published an editorial slamming the GOP presidential candidate for flip-flopping on issues. It also criticized him for his central-casting appearance.

With "an athletic build, ramrod posture, Reaganesque hair, a charismatic speaking style and a crisp dark suit" along with "a beautiful wife and family, a wildly successful business career and just enough executive government experience" Romney espouses "some old GOP bromides -- spending cuts and lower taxes -- plus some new positions for 2008: anti-immigrant rhetoric and a focus on faith," the editorial says.

The Concord Monitor editorial page is considered to be liberal.

But Romney's record makes him "a disquieting figure who sure looks like the next president and most surely must be stopped," the editorial added.

It compared Romney's stances as governor of Massachusetts with those taken as a presidential candidate and found glaring differences. Watch Romney shake hands and chat with voters in New Hampshire »

"If you followed only his tenure as governor of Massachusetts, you might imagine Romney as a pragmatic moderate with liberal positions on numerous social issues and an ability to work well with Democrats," it said. Read the editorial

"If you followed only his campaign for president, you'd swear he was a red-meat conservative, pandering to the religious right, whatever the cost. Pay attention to both, and you're left to wonder if there's anything at all at his core."

The editorial then cited Romney's advocacy of gay rights in 1994, when he was running against Sen. Edward Kennedy for the U.S. Senate, and compared that with his current stance.

"These days, he makes a point of his opposition to gay marriage and adoption," it said.

It said Romney once sought to make contraceptive drugs more available, then vetoed a bill that would have allowed them to be sold over-the-counter.

Romney told voters he favored abortion rights in 1994, the editorial said, "and he cited the tragedy of a relative's botched illegal abortion as the reason to keep abortions safe and legal."

Today, it said, he describes himself as "pro-life."

Though Romney once supported embryonic stem-cell research, "these days, he largely opposes it," according to the editorial.

When he was running for governor, Romney rejected an anti-tax pledge "as a gimmick," the editors said. "In this race, he was the first to sign."

The editors acknowledged that people can change, but they said Romney "has yet to explain this particular set of turnarounds in a way that convinces voters they are based on anything other than his own ambition."

The editorial then took Romney to task about torture, saying "he dodges the issue ... unable to say, simply, that waterboarding is torture and America won't do it."

And it called "chilling" Romney's statement that he would like to double the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, which has held terrorist suspects for years without charges.

"When New Hampshire partisans are asked to defend the state's first-in-the-nation primary, we talk about our ability to see the candidates up close, ask tough questions and see through the baloney," the editorial said. "If a candidate is a phony, we assure ourselves and the rest of the world, we'll know it.

"Mitt Romney is such a candidate. New Hampshire Republicans and independents must vote no."

Asked to respond, a campaign spokesman for Romney for President did not specifically address any of the issues raised by the board.

Instead, Kevin Madden said, "The Monitor's editorial board is regarded as a liberal one on many issues, so it is not surprising that they would criticize Gov. Romney for his conservative views and platform.

"Gov. Romney has taken firm positions that are at odds with the board's support for drivers licenses for illegal immigrants, their position against school choice and their advocacy for taking 'Under God' out of the Pledge of Allegiance. The governor happens to disagree with them on all those issues."
Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM   #599
Blue Crack Addict

even with that
odds makers make him the number 3 favorite to win white house
and the GOP best hope
Old 12-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #600
Blue Crack Addict

He is a phony, they're right on the money with that one

lol@ Reaganesque hair. My hairstylist's sister owns a salon where he has had his hair done, I didn't want to know anything else after that. She did say the family is nice. And no diamond, you can't come over and watch him get it done and collect his hair from the floor.