so ... Mitt Romney.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WASHINGTON (CNN) — It was only a slip of the tongue, but it's hard not to notice when a Democratic presidential candidate is confused for the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks.

Giving a speech before the Chamber of Commerce in Greenwood, South Carolina Tuesday, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney invoked Illinois Sen. Barack Obama's name when he apparently meant to say Osama bin Laden.

“Actually, just look at what Osama — Barack Obama said just yesterday," Romney said, according to the Associated Press. "Barack Obama calling on radicals, jihadists of all different types, to come together in Iraq. That is the battlefield."

Romney campaign spokesman Kevin Madden called the remarks a "brief mix up."

“Gov. Romney simply misspoke," he said. "He was referring to the recently released audiotape of Osama bin Laden and misspoke when referencing his name."

Meanwhile, Bill Burton, a spokesman for Obama, said, "Apparently, Mitt Romney can switch names just as casually as he switches positions, but what's wrongheaded is continuing a misguided war in Iraq that has left America less safe.

"It's time to end the divisiveness and fear-mongering that is at the heart of Gov. Romney's campaign," he added.

In January, CNN made the same mistake, accidentally displaying a graphic that said "Where's Obama?" during a report on bin Laden. Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy also made the same slip in a 2005 speech.

2:45 p.m. update From the Times’s Jeff Zeleny in New Hampshire: Campaigning this afternoon, Mr. Obama did not mention Mr. Romney and he wasn’t taking questions from reporters. But as he walked from a living room at a house party in Merrimack, The Caucus stopped Mr. Obama for a moment to ask for his thoughts on the matter.

“I don’t pay too much attention to Mitt Romney,” Mr. Obama said.
:up: :laugh:

Last edited:
Uh oh. This isn't good for the Romster.

Romney loses prominent evangelical endorsement

Romney lost the support of a prominent South Carolina minister.

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — Dr. Don Wilton, the former head of the South Carolina Baptist convention, recanted his endorsement of former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney Wednesday, just days after announcing his support.

The Romney campaign has touted Wilton's endorsement, along with that of Bob Jones University president Bob Jones III, as signs that evangelical leaders in South Carolina were putting aside reservations over Romney's Mormon faith and siding with the candidate based on his family values.

In a statement released by Baptist News, a Southern Baptist publication, Wilton said he made a "personal mistake" and that, until now, he had never endorsed a presidential candidate.

"While I did give my consent to the local campaign to use my affirmation of the governor's stance on family values in my capacity as an individual citizen, I made the mistake of not realizing the extent to which it would be used on a national basis," Wilton said in the statement.

He added that: "I will continue to use my personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ as the only standard by which I determine who to vote for in any election."

When Wilton endorsed Romney on October 19, the campaign issued a statement from Wilton saying, "While we may not agree on theology, Gov. Romney and I agree that this election is about our country heading in the right direction."

On Wednesday, Romney spokesperson Kevin Madden said he respects the decision.

"Rev. Wilton is a great leader in the community and we respect any decision he makes regarding his involvement with the campaign," Madden said.

In an interview with CNN in February, Wilton discussed his views of Mormonism.

"All politicians are people of deep and abiding personal conviction. I can tell you Governor Romney appears to me to be a man of deep and abiding conviction," Wilton said in the interview with CNN. "I would say that we need to sit down and enter into a dialogue with Governor Romney, the same way we would enter into a dialogue with anybody who is running for that political office. On a personal level, Mormonism does make me nervous, because I am a Christian, and because the precepts and principles, and more importantly, the practices of Mormonism have cause for great concern. But I am going to tell you this. The people of the Mormon religion are very highly astute, highly family-oriented, deeply character-driven people. They are very fine people. This is not a conversation about a person, it is about a religion that drives a person to do what he does."

Wilton went on to say he would want to explore the religious background of any person running for president that participated in a religion different from his. Wilton was the only religious leader in the Spartanburg, South Carolina area that was willing to speak on camera with CNN in February about the potential difficulties Romney may face in that Southern evangelical community.

Even though Wilton’s statement retracting his endorsement indicates the pastor did not know how much play his words would get on the national stage, it’s worth noting the pastor and his church boast quite a savvy media operation. An in-house multi-camera set-up shoots and broadcasts church services via TV, radio and the Internet, and there is an employee who holds the title Minister of Media.

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Sasha Johnson

Damn, that would have been awesome :D

Romney passes on high-stakes baseball bet

Forget those lame bets between politicians over big sporting events -- you know, those wagers of whatever food item for which a city is famous.

Republican presidential hopeful Tom Tancredo wants to put something important on the line -- his candidacy. His campaign called ABC News to issue this challenge: The Colorado congressman will drop out of the race if the Rockies lose the World Series -- if rival Mitt Romney agrees to pack it in if the Red Sox lose.

Romney has a lot at stake -- he's leading in the Iowa and New Hampshire polls, is competitive nationally, and has invested more than $17 million of his own money in his campaign. So the former Massachusetts governor is not taking the bait, even though the bet looks pretty safe -- the Sox shellacked the Rockies 13-1 in game one Wednesday night.

Asked to respond to the proposed bet, spokesman Kevin Madden issued a terse statement this morning: "The governor is in the race to win the race."

Tancredo, of course, has much less to lose. He has failed to make much headway in either the polling or in fund-raising. And, who knows, the Rockies could recapture the magic that put them in the Series to begin with, winning 21 of 22 before Wednesday night.

Wow. You know you don't deserve to be president when you'd rather challenge your opponent to a sports bet than challenge them on the issues that matter.

Lame.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Um, no :(. As much as I can't stand Mitt there's no way in hell I could root against the Sox to see him drop out, if he actually went along with that bet. He will hoist himself by his own petard anyway.

I know. That'd be tough for you. I'm actually rooting for the Rockies anyway . . .

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney criticized the "family values" of the Clinton presidency Thursday, saying as president he would set a better example.

"One of the ways that you help instill, if you will, family values is by having a White House be a place that demonstrates family values," the Massachusetts Republican said in a response to a question at a New Hampshire house party about how he would instill family values as president.

"And, you know, I think during the last Clinton presidency, the White House did not demonstrate that in a way that was helpful to our nation's culture," Romney added.

New York Sen. Hillary Clinton, wife of former President Bill Clinton, is the frontrunner for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Romney went on to say that the president is under a "microscope," making it especially important to "live by higher standards."

"Because the world is looking at you, you're representing not only yourself but your country," he added. "The kids or America are looking at you. One piece [of instilling values] is acting the part, acting the part of higher ethical standards."

Responding to Romney's comments, top Clinton adviser Howard Wolfson said, "Hillary Clinton needs no lessons on character from a man who switches his positions on a daily basis."

What a jerk. I was pretty upset with Bill back in the day, but Bill isn’t running for president. Hillary is. If anything, she’s an example of family values in her own life because she stood by her man when he screwed up. She forgave him, the family stayed together and they seem closer now because of it. Romney just comes across as an arrogant jerk here.

For the most part I agree with his comments in regards to the previous clinton administration. However, his comments are misplaced, because Hillary is not her husband. And as far as acting the part of higher ethical standards, I think Bushco come in far, far worse than the Clinton administration.

I love Mr. Wolfson's reponse, though. :up:

Yeah Mitt wrote the book on family values. His family is so perfect, I'm sure there are no skeletons in it. Is anyone's family perfect? Sometimes perfection can be downright creepy. That's not the last we've heard of that type of comment (and worse) about Hillary from him, you can take that to the bank.

If Mitt does as good of a job of restoring values to the White House as Bush did, we're all in deep shit. Criticizing the Clinton administration to show how you'll restore "morals" to the presidency is REAL original.:rolleyes: Your good buddy didn't do that when he was running 7 years ago or anything: More to the point, it's his pathetic excuse for governing a nation that you should be thinking about cleaning up Mr. Pure and Ethical.

I guess he's only running for preacher when he talks about his perfect family values and tells other people how to live and says that kids need a mother and a father as opposed to two moms and two dads-among other things.

MANCHESTER, N.H. — Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney embraced his association with Christian conservative Bob Jones III Thursday despite Jones' sharp criticism of the Mormon faith central to Romney's life.

"I'm proud to have the respect of people and the support of people who don't agree with my faith, but agree that I'm the right person to be president," the former Massachusetts governor said while campaigning here. "And I'm not running for preacher; I'm running for president."

In the 2000 election, George W. Bush similarly basked in the reputation of Bob Jones University, a Greenville, S.C., school named for Jones's grandfather that is influential with some conservative Christians. Less than a month after a visit to the school, Bush wound up apologizing to Roman Catholic leaders for "causing needless offense."

The university teaches its students that Catholicism, like Mormonism, is a cult. At the time, it also had a policy banning interracial dating between its students. It rescinded the policy after publicity generated by Bush's visit.

The university continues a policy of banning alumni it says are "militant" homosexuals from its campus, school spokesman Jonathan Patie said Monday during an interview with The Associated Press.

Bob Jones III, the university's chancellor, said in his endorsement of Romney last week, "As a Christian, I am completely opposed to the doctrines of Mormonism." He also labeled the Mormon church an "erroneous faith," and included it in with Catholicism as a non-Christian "cult."

Nonetheless, Jones said he was backing Romney because he believes the GOP presidential contender embraces conservative values.

Romney's campaign has been touting the endorsement to skeptical evangelicals. Such support could prove critical in the Upstate area of South Carolina, the state slated to hold the third presidential primary.

Romney, bidding to become the first Mormon president, has said he understands questions about his faith, but he has also been protective of the Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which he once served as a bishop and which he continues to back financially.

Asked Thursday how he could accept Jones's criticism of such a central facet of his life, Romney said: "Each church thinks their church is the best one or they wouldn't be going to it. ... The great thing about America is, we have our differences in viewpoint, but they don't lead to our discrimination against people based on their faith, or certainly lead to the kinds of violence we see in other places in the world."

diamond said:

Ms Martha-

Is this a foreign idea to you?

dbs

No, just an unexplained one. The people I see babbling on about "family values" are usually the ones willing to categorize people and deny them rights based on whichever category they fall into.

So, I'll ask again: What the fuck are family values?

According to the AFA website's top ten stories:

Family Values include but not limited to;

boycotting anyone that supports gay rights, Jesus likes 2nd class citizens.

Kicking out illegal aliens, Jesus likes walls and doesn't like reaching out to the poor.

Counter protesting peace activists, the Prince of Peace hates peace.

The U.S. post office needs chaplains

and of course they hate Harry Potter again.

Back
Top Bottom