so ... Mitt Romney. - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #196
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
I'm fine with wrapping it up.
Yes, please; let's do it that way. It's really just the three of you pursuing this topic and I don't see anything further productive coming out of it at this point, just bad feelings. That will spare me the headache of trying to split this, which frankly I don't have time for at the moment; this thread is way too long and its arguments too intertwined to be split without a lot of hassle.

If we're going to go back to discussing Romney purely as a politician however, the thread needs to stay civil this time or it will wind up closed.

Thanks.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #197
Refugee

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen

I do respect you guys and the right to believe what you believe. I just disagree.

You're taking a single response of mine to sum up my whole argument? Here we go again — taking a part of the whole to change the definition of the whole. The majority of my side of the argument has been taken from the Bible itself. Anyone can go back and see that.
It's how you look at it, there's no middle ground,one sided, it's either hot or cold, were not Christian because we don't interpret the Bible the same way you do. That sums up the argument.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #198
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:25 PM
I think we're done there, macphisto23. Yolland wants us back on the topic of Romney.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #199
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Interesting vid clip showing how Mitt handled a heckler.

http://blip.tv/file/151254

dbs
Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
best quote so far in this Presidential race
is from Romney -

"I said to my wife 'In your wildest dreams, did you ever think you would be married to a man running for President of the US? And my wife replied ' Mitt, you're not IN my wildest dreams'"
Old 02-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #201
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I have to say, the idea of a Mormon president scares the shit out of me. Seriously.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

why?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #203
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

it's just that Mormonism seems to me to be mostly about mind control. It scares me, frankly. I have mormons in my extended family and have had several very close friends that are LDS, and my husband and I seriously considered converting to LDS several years ago. Then I did some research.

I don't want to start a big anti-mormon thing here, and I value the concept that the president's religion shouldn't be a consideration, but I have yet to meet a mormon that could, or would, separate their faith from anything else in their lives. Their religion controls every aspect of their lives. That's why the idea of a mormon president scares me. Anyone who truly believes in the mormon doctrine has suspended their disbelief way beyond what I could consider safe for the leader of the free world.

That said, I can't imagine much worse than the president we have now, so maybe it would be a comparative improvement.

(edited for spelling, oops!)
Old 02-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #204
Blue Crack Addict

The leader of the Senate, Harry Reid is Mormon in good standing and I don't see the things in him you describe

and I did not see Romney's religion driving his views while Governor of Mass

he seems more to be catering to the GOP right, the same as McCain

now if one of your family members ran for office I could understand that scaring you
Old 04-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #205
ONE
love, blood, life

another good article from NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/09/op...&ex=1176350400
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #206
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think most liberals don't care that Romney is a Mormon, but I can't see him winning the Republican nomination, since that party is basically held hostage by the extreme Christian right. Romney is only polling at around 4% right now.

I bet it'd be fun to go "hunting" with ol' Mitt, though... check out Romney's latest gaffe:

--------------------
Huckabee questions Romney hunting claim

Sun Apr 8, 5:59 PM ET

GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney was wrong to suggest he was a lifelong hunter even though he never took out a license, campaign rival Mike Huckabee said Sunday.

"I think it was a major mistake," said Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor. "It would be like me saying I've been a lifelong golfer because I played putt-putt when I was 9 years old and I rode in a golf cart a couple of times."

"I think American people are looking for authenticity," Huckabee added. "Match their record with their rhetoric."

A message left Sunday with a spokesman for Romney was not immediately returned.

Romney, a former governor of Massachusetts, was dogged last week about his hunting activities after he remarked at a campaign stop that he has been a hunter nearly all his life.

The next day, his campaign said Romney had gone hunting just twice — once as a teenager in Idaho and last year with GOP donors in Georgia. Officials in the four states where Romney has lived also told The Associated Press that he never took out a license.

Romney explained later that his staff was wrong and that he had hunted rabbits and other small animals for many years, mainly in Utah. Hunting certain small game there does not require a license.

On Sunday, Huckabee said Romney's comments undermined his credibility as a candidate.

In contrast, Huckabee said, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani, also in the 2008 race, showed his honesty by recently reaffirming he supported abortion rights.

Last week in South Carolina, Giuliani defended his record favoring the use of public money for abortions. South Carolina is early voting state dominated by conservatives who oppose abortion rights.

"Now, I disagree with him. I don't think we ought to use federal tax dollars for abortion, and I wouldn't if I were president," Huckabee said.

"But I thought it was at least a statement of extraordinary honesty and candor on the part of Giuliani that he would go into South Carolina, a very pro-life environment, and just say, look, this is who I am. I'm not going to change just to get your votes," he said.

Huckabee spoke on "Face the Nation" on CBS.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #207
ONE
love, blood, life

Doesn't anybody get it?
He was hunting wabbits in Ut.
No hunting lic. needed there.

Goosh Napoleon!
Idiots!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #208
ONE
love, blood, life

Campaign 2008

Romney targets Pelosi in foreign-policy speech
By Sam Youngman
April 10, 2007
White House hopeful and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney (R) harshly criticized House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) trip to Syria during a speech on foreign policy Tuesday.
Speaking at the George Bush Presidential Library Center in College Station, Texas, Romney embraced the courage of President George W. Bush before decrying “the divisiveness, the bitterness, the smallness, the disunity” of foreign-policy politics in Washington.

“And then the Speaker of the House helped dignify a state sponsor of terror,” Romney said, in excerpts released by his campaign. “At this time of war, her action stands as one of the most partisan, divisive and ill-considered of any national leader in this decade.” Romney said the state of the U.S. military had declined during the Clinton administration, and he called for expanding the military by 100,000 troops.

The former governor also offered a staunch defense of Bush’s efforts in Iraq, echoing many of the president’s talking points as he endures intense criticism over the war effort.

“Running away from Iraq now would embolden our enemies, giving them the sanctuary they need to plan more devastating attacks against our country,” Romney said. “In this difficult time, some in Congress are trying to deny our troops the resources they need. This is a grave error. We need to rally behind the effort, and support our men and women in uniform in this time of war.”
Old 04-10-2007, 07:29 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Romney

can't call himself a real hunter
until he shoots an attorney in the face
Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #210
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:25 PM