so...Mike Huckabee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hah. it's funny watching the Republicans switch over from candidate to candidate. First it was Guiliani who was the sure thing. Then it was Fred "Reagan Part Deux" Thompson, then it was Mitt Romney, the Mormon even evangelicals could like, and now it's Mike "I'm on a mission from God" Huckabee.

Flip-floppers. :tsk:

:wink:

martha said:

Yep. I have the right not to be murdered in the name of a potential person.

On this you and I agree, but most abortions aren't so stark a situation.

Who gets to define "potential people"?

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

Yes. He. Did.

Larry King. Last night.

KING: Did you get a bad rap on the AIDS thing, when you said that AIDS should be quarantined?

HUCKABEE: Well, and I said I think the word isolated.

And would I say that today?

No, of course not. We know so much more than we did. That was 1992 -- 15 years ago. And I know some would say but we knew it then. But, you know, I talked to medical doctors back then and even who have said this to me now, we said we knew, but we weren't absolutely, positively sure. And the information we were getting was from our government. And, frankly, a lot of people who weren't trusting our government than anymore than are trusting it now.

But would I say that today?

No, I wouldn't, absolutely not, because we do know better now. In fact, I'm committed, as president, to do more to help on both HIV and AIDS funding than we have done in the past, and even include HIV as part of the Medicaid coverage, because it's consistent with the idea it's better to prevent diseases than it is to treat them.

So he flip flopped? Interesting. Well maybe he's just a slow learner. Is this who we want for president?

He was an idiot in 92, extremely uneducated compared to the public about AIDS. He was an even bigger idiot when he backed it up in 2007. And not he just comes off as someone who was just now educated about the disease last week.

We've already had one idiot run this country into the ground the last 8 years, I for one don't want another...

martha said:

My personal liberty to control my own reproductive system. So much for "small government" there, eh?

And who says you can't control your own reproductive system? Go do what you want. Ron Paul doesn't take any stance on toughining up actions on prostitution.

well, anyway, i can only come to this conclusion: 30 years of pandering to theocrats has given the Republicans (Lincoln, Goldwater, Regan) Huckabee.

long may you reap what you sow.

his Christmas ad is positively antichrist-ish, if i believed in such nonsense. what's the phrase? "when fascism arrives in America, it will be with a smile wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross?"

that's Huck.

and such a party can't possibly vote for a man (Romney) who went to Planned Parenthood fundraisers (at $150 a head!) in 1994, now can they?

martha said:

Nice dodge.

Wasn't a dodge, was trying to be sarcastic, like you are in almost every other post.

But about abortion, you believe that abortion has to do with only your body. Others believe that it has to do with another life inside a woman's body. So some people think that liberty for all includes a developing fetus, others don't.

Infinitum98 said:
Others believe that it has to do with another life inside a woman's body. So some people think that liberty for all includes a developing fetus, others don't.

Some people do indeed think that what's in the vessel is more important than the vessel. That's true. Some people do think that the "rights" of a fetus are more equal than the rights of a woman. That's true.

martha said:

Some people do indeed think that what's in the vessel is more important than the vessel. That's true. Some people do think that the "rights" of a fetus are more equal than the rights of a woman. That's true.

More equal? How can one thing be more equal then something, makes no sense.

And who said the rights of a fetus is "more equal" than the rights of a woman?

Infinitum98 said:

More equal? How can one thing be more equal then something, makes no sense.

And who said the rights of a fetus is "more equal" than the rights of a woman?

It was obviously just a typo.

Martha knows we disagree on abortion, so I'll just leave it at that. :wink: I will say, however, that abortion is one of the few political issues I actually give a damn about.

LemonMelon said:

I will say, however, that abortion is one of the few political issues I actually give a damn about.

why? why is abortion more important than deficits, war, health care, etc.?

Irvine511 said:

why? why is abortion more important than deficits, war, health care, etc.?

I said one of the few. I care about things that directly affect people's lives. Abortion definitely does. Health care is important to me. War is important to me. But very little of what is discussed actually does interest me enough to add something. :shrug:

And Martha, could you please clarify what "more equal" means? I really don't follow you. :sick:

More important. Equal, as it's used by many in political terms, doesn't really mean equal. Levels of "equal" do exist when the word loses its meaning like it has.

See my journal for some real bullshit about "equal."

LemonMelon said:

I said one of the few. I care about things that directly affect people's lives. Abortion definitely does.

Are you female?

I think anitram was questioning the "directly affecting people's lives" portion of your statement.

phillyfan26 said:
I think anitram was questioning the "directly affecting people's lives" portion of your statement.

It'll directly affect mine someday. :shrug: I would say that spending 18 years worth of time, love, money, and general support on one person would directly influence my existence. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
It'll directly affect mine someday. :shrug: I would say that spending 18 years worth of time, love, money, and general support on one person would directly influence my existence. :wink:

That's parenthood, not abortion.

They're linked, but not in the way that you made in that post. I think anitram's point was that abortion doesn't directly affect your life, since, you know, you won't be having one. Whereas, health care does, because, you know, you have health.

phillyfan26 said:
They're linked, but not in the way that you made in that post. I think anitram's point was that abortion doesn't directly affect your life, since, you know, you won't be having one. Whereas, health care does, because, you know, you have health.

Yeah, I get what she's/you're saying. I just wish she would have told me that straight on instead of attempting to make me look foolish by asking my gender. :huh:

Really, cut back on the sarcasm, people. This isn't a pissing match, it's supposed to be a discussion about Mike Huckabee's political positions.

LemonMelon said:

And Martha, could you please clarify what "more equal" means? I really don't follow you.

martha said:

No dear. It's the way people think. Somehow a collection of cells has become more important than a living, breathing woman. That's how they are more equal than me.

Like I said. A collection of cells has more rights than I do, according to you.

Back
Top Bottom