so...Mike Huckabee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

i think the governor is wrong, painfully wrong, on many things, but isn't this going a bit far?

Yes, but I just can't take it anymore. These people just don't get it. Before these debates first began, I was happy that we only have 1 more year or so left of this radical neo-con agenda and that the people and the politicians alike have learned that we need to mind our own business in the world. Yet I was shocked and upset that all but one of the candidates support the Bush agenda.

So is what I said going too far? Probably. But I honestly don't care anymore. These people really don't deserve a place in government and I am just tired of all their supporters. It is truly sad and ridiculous.

I remember what it was like to be proud to be an American. But in all honesty, i've lost all that pride in the last 5 years. I remember after 9/11 how proud I was to hear the national anthem or watch flag ceremonies or even hear the President speak. I've lost all of that. And I blame it all on our foreign policy and those who support it. So thats why i've been heavy on the name calling lately.

Infinitum98 said:
How about isolating AIDS patients? I'd say that is uncalled for too.

it is.

but the big lesson to learn from Bush is that we have to be better than our enemies, not stoop to their level.

Irvine511 said:
it is.

but the big lesson to learn from Bush is that we have to be better than our enemies, not stoop to their level.

Exactly. Much as we may want to refer to them as an Axis of Evil or something (I kid, I kid), we should instead take the high road and just focus on making sure our own ideas come off looking like the better choice.

I fully understand your frustrations, though, Infinitum98, believe me, I do :hug:.

As for Obama, personally, I like the fact that he may have to learn as he goes. Forces him to not become complacent and lazy, I think. I expect him to know the general job requirements and to have some idea of what he's getting into and all that sort of thing, but as pointed out, he really can't do any worse. Plus, it's young blood, we could use some of that to kinda get the "set in their ways" politicians' butts into gear and make them realize this is the 21st century now.

Angela

In N.H. blitz, Ark. minister vows to surge past Mitt
By Jessica Van Sack | Friday, December 14, 2007 | http://www.bostonherald.com

Pumped by his meteoric rise in Iowa, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee launched a three-day campaign blitz in New Hampshire today, vowing to overtake front-runner Mitt Romney and win the Granite State’s first in the nation primary next month.

“It’s no longer just an Iowa thing, nor is it an evangelical thing,” Huckabee said yesterday in an interview with the Herald. “I’m in first place in Delaware, first place in Michigan, third place in California - places where there’s no explanation for it. I’m virtually tied in first place with (former New York Mayor) Rudy (Giuliani) in every national poll. I think it’s a combination of people tired of the Wall Street and Washington types who are out of touch with ordinary Americans.”

While former Bay State Gov. Romney enjoys a double-digit lead in the most recent Rasmussen Reports poll of New Hampshire Republicans, Huckabee has vaulted to a virtual tie for third place with Giuliani, just behind Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Huckabee said he wants to convey a hopeful message promising “genuine change.”

“My message is not all that different in New Hampshire than it is anywhere else,” Huckabee said. “We’ve got to bring manufacturing jobs back and become energy independent . . . those are issues everyone cares about.”

Romney has raised more than $60 million, including $17.4 million of his own money, compared to Huckabee’s paltry $2.3 million. Yet Huckabee has no immediate plans to step up fund raising and will not attend any fund-raisers in New Hampshire this weekend, his campaign said.

But the ordained Baptist minister said he has something his opponents lack: the chops to defeat Democratic front-runner Sen. Hillary Clinton.

“I’m the only candidate running who really understands their political operation,” Huckabee said. “I’ve beat their political machine several times in Arkansas.”

Huckabee comes to Romney’s back yard armed with another weapon: martial arts icon and cable TV pitchman Chuck Norris, who will accompany him on the three-day tour.

While Norris has come out in favor of teaching the Bible in public schools, Huckabee stopped short of that but did say that to “ignore” the Bible in education violates “academic honesty.”

“Students should be allowed to pray voluntarily and students should be aware of the Bible in the sense that there’s no greater document that has had a greater impact in the world,” he said.

MrsSpringsteen said:
While Norris has come out in favor of teaching the Bible in public schools, Huckabee stopped short of that but did say that to “ignore” the Bible in education violates “academic honesty.”

“Students should be allowed to pray voluntarily and students should be aware of the Bible in the sense that there’s no greater document that has had a greater impact in the world,” he said.

...yeah, talking about religion in a historical context is fine (and kind of inevitable), but somehow I get the feeling the teaching wouldn't end there. And while the Bible certainly has had an impact on the world, I'd say there's a few other documents that have some impacts, too...

Anywho, Chuck Norris is coming along-so does this mean Chuck Norris jokes will be making a comeback?

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

Anywho, Chuck Norris is coming along-so does this mean Chuck Norris jokes will be making a comeback?

Angela

Haven't they already made their comeback? :wink:

This Huckabee character sounds awful, despite the supportive acknowledgement from the lefties.
:hmm:

Angela Harlem said:

This Huckabee character sounds awful, despite the supportive acknowledgement from the lefties.
:hmm:

he's basically a pastor running for pastor-in-chief.

but it's impossible to dislike him on a personal level, as much as one might be aghast at his stated policy positions and past statements.

some people called W Bush "likeable," but he always made me want to vomit -- he seemed like the fraternity president who arranged the toga party and secured the Roofies.

Huckabee, by contrast, is immensely personable.

he really is. this from someone who recoils in horror at pretty much everything that comes from his mouth.

Irvine511 said:
but it's impossible to dislike him on a personal level, as much as one might be aghast at his stated policy positions and past statements.

I dunno. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I haven't found him likable at all.

Of course, as a rather archetypal Northerner, "Southern Charm" tends to make me automatically suspicious.

melon said:

I dunno. Maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but I haven't found him likable at all.

I'm with you here. I don't actually find him personally unlikeable but I don't find him likeable either. He's just like this neutral guy who hasn't really made a strong impression on me either way.

Infinitum98 said:
How about isolating AIDS patients? I'd say that is uncalled for too.

That was the '90s. If you can find a recent quote where he backs such actions, I'll buy into what you're saying. As we know from such recent Presidential hopefuls as Kerry and Romney, politicians can change their minds very quickly. :wink:

READ THE THREAD!!!

This has been quoted many times:

'I still believe this today,'' he said in a broadcast interview, that ''we were acting more out of political correctness'' in responding to the AIDS crisis. ''I don't run from it, I don't recant it,'' he said of his position in 1992. Yet he said he would state his view differently in retrospect.

I still beieve this today. :|

What else do some of you need?:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
READ THE THREAD!!!

This has been quoted many times:

I still beieve this today. :|

What else do some of you need?:huh:

:rolleyes: Jeez...chill out. Didn't see that before. With any luck, Infinitum will miss your post and rip my head off too. :wink:

Angela Harlem said:

:hm:

Huckabee strikes me as the Dean of the conservatives. Not really a front-runner in the long-term, but someone who can shake things up initially and make things interesting for a little while.

Sorry, it's just that it's been quoted a lot. I don't think any of us would repeatingly say he still backs it up if we didn't have a quote.

But I'm assuming you just read the last page or so and not the whole thread.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Sorry, it's just that it's been quoted a lot. I don't think any of us would repeatingly say he still backs it up if we didn't have a quote.

But I'm assuming you just read the last page or so and not the whole thread.

No, I was on page 4 or so and responded to something that hadn't previously been backed up. Probably should have gone a tad further. :(

It's not your fault that there are some that read that quote and somehow come off with the wrong facts. You just ended up looking like them. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
It's not your fault that there are some that read that quote and somehow come off with the wrong facts. You just ended up looking like them. :wink:

Ah, yes.

If anyone is wondering, I disagree with Huckabee's assertion that it is for "our" greater good that AIDS victims be isolated (which is the last thing they need, as they, too, are human beings with emotions and feelings), especially since it has little medical backing, and it's really quite cruel to begin with.

Anyway, carry on. My respect for the man has just dropped a little bit.

Moonlit_Angel said:

I fully understand your frustrations, though, Infinitum98, believe me, I do :hug:.

Angela

Thanks for understanding. And yes it is VERY frustrating. I hate it! :hug:

nathan1977 said:

Huckabee strikes me as the Dean of the conservatives. Not really a front-runner in the long-term, but someone who can shake things up initially and make things interesting for a little while.

Huckabee, like most of the Republican candidates, is not a conservative but a radical right wing Christianist.

Nice backhand by Mitt: :

HUMBOLDT, Iowa (AP) - Mitt Romney accused Republican presidential rival Mike Huckabee of "running from the wrong party" for criticizing President Bush's foreign policy as an "arrogant bunker mentality."
Romney defended Bush against Huckabee's charge, which the former Arkansas governor leveled in the January-February issue of the respected journal Foreign Affairs.

"I can't believe he'd say that," Romney said to a gathering of about 100 supporters in a restaurant here. "I had to look again—did this come from Barack Obama or from Hillary Clinton? Did it come from John Edwards? No, it was Governor Huckabee."

Romney has been aggressively criticizing Huckabee, stressing differences over immigration and economic policy in hopes of recapturing a lead he had enjoyed in Iowa for most of the year. Huckabee's Foreign Affairs article, made public Friday, offered another line of attack.

"I'm the last person to say that this administration is subject to an arrogant, bunker mentality that is counterproductive here and abroad," he said. "The truth of the matter is this president has kept us safe these past six years and that has not been easy to do."

Still, Romney carefully stressed that he believed the administration had engaged in missteps during the war in Iraq and said his defense of Bush did not mean he would follow the president's current policy to the letter.

"We were under-prepared and under-planned and understaffed," he said of the war following the fall of Saddam Hussein. "There is no question we weren't perfectly managed."

Romney would not go as far as suggesting that Huckabee's written views indicated he was not ready for the presidency, turning aside a reporter's question by saying "I'm going to let other people make that assessment."

But Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said the article "suggests that he does lack depth when it comes to dealing with other nations."

romney.jpg

Horse race

The whole thing is a horse race and I'm not sure who is going the get the either parties nominations. Huckabee might get the Republican nomination because he is a Baptist which the Christian Right likes. They are very organized and they can get the vote out for him.
Democrat I don't know, but its nice to see Hillary screwing up. The Green Party wants Nader to run again. I like Richardson, since I'm from New Mexico and he has done a great job in New Mexico. I also like Edwards.

Back
Top Bottom