so...Mike Huckabee. - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Huckabee sure makes Bush seem intelligent, by comparison.
Sort of not related, well, general staggering stupidity: The White House Press Secretary had never heard of the Cuban Missile Crisis: http://rawstory.com/news/2007/White_..._she_1210.html

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:27 AM
Astonishing, isn't it?

Did I mention that that woman really, really just should not talk anymore?

Angela

Old 12-11-2007, 10:05 AM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

2861U2, yesterday you mentioned that some of just can't stand the fact that you are conservative, a few tried to explain to you that this isn't the case.

Quote:
You respect someone who stands behind such an assinine statement about AIDS?
This would have been a key question for you to answer if you want to be taken seriously.

Now, I admit my first comment was an emotional over the top response. And you called me out on it, but when I qualified it, I really would have liked to see you respond.

For me I can't see how anyone who knows anything about the teachings of Christ and how much he spoke about caring for the sick could say such a thing, it baffles me. I wouldn't want this man as my minister and I definately don't want him as my president.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Working around small bipedal petrie dishes of cooties makes me want to support this idea.

Memphis and i visited the Boston Museum of Science last year because i was all nostalgic for the 6th grade trip we took there, and it didn't take long for us to realize that Pink Eye was everywhere and we were not to touch anything.

but, anyway ...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You respect someone who stands behind such an assinine statement about AIDS?
From what I understand, very little about the disease was known, and as Huckabee has said, quarantine is the proper thing to do medically when you've got a virus that is deadly and nobody knows much about it. People in here are making it sound like it was a shot against gay people. It wasn't. I fully believe he would have said the same thing regardless of what disease it was. Again, very little was known about AIDS, and nobody in this thread has provided evidence to the contrary. Also, it's upsetting that people in here are attacking Huckabee for acknowledging that he said this. What would you rather have? Have Huckabee deny that he ever said it?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

From what I understand, very little about the disease was known, and as Huckabee has said, quarantine is the proper thing to do medically when you've got a virus that is deadly and nobody knows much about it. People in here are making it sound like it was a shot against gay people. It wasn't. I fully believe he would have said the same thing regardless of what disease it was. Again, very little was known about AIDS, and nobody in this thread has provided evidence to the contrary. Also, it's upsetting that people in here are attacking Huckabee for acknowledging that he said this. What would you rather have? Have Huckabee deny that he ever said it?

and deep said it best: Huckabee's statement would have been understandable in 1982, but this was 1992. everyone knew HIV wasn't spread by casual contact like the flu. everyone knew this.

if HIV was killing white soccer moms in the suburbs, no one, ever, would mention words like "quarantine." but since HIV, at first, affected such viewed-as-less-than-human undesirables -- gays, IV drug users, Haitians -- such statements could be made.

again, 1982 would have been much, much, much different than 1992.

and it's not Huckabee denying what he said, he's refused to say that his call for a quarantine in 1992 of the HIV infected was wrong.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

For me I can't see how anyone who knows anything about the teachings of Christ and how much he spoke about caring for the sick could say such a thing, it baffles me.
Fair point. However, human beings are not Jesus. Jesus could walk up to a leper and touch him and he would be healed. It isnt quite that simply for us. We need to take precaution in treating diseases. And it isnt like Huckabee or anyone else wasn't caring for the sick. I'm sure he does. But again, there are steps you may have to take when dealing with something like this.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Fair point. However, human beings are not Jesus. Jesus could walk up to a leper and touch him and he would be healed. It isnt quite that simply for us. We need to take precaution in treating diseases. And it isnt like Huckabee or anyone else wasn't caring for the sick. I'm sure he does. But again, there are steps you may have to take when dealing with something like this.

this was 1992!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this was 1992!!!
And? Tell me if I'm wrong Irvine (or anyone else), but we still don't know all there is to know about AIDS, right? We still don't have a cure for AIDS, right? 15+ years later.

Again, I don't think this was a move to isolate all gay people and remove them from society. I really don't. Hopefully none of you do. I don't know the history of AIDS or the "timeline" of what was known about it. I probably wouldn't have said what Huckabee said, but I'm certainly not going to hold it against him. Apparently I'm alone in that here.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 AM
These statements about religion are really scary. Keep religion out of politics. That's one thing that's wrong with Bush, he can't keep nutty fundamentalist religion out of his politics.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
"I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
Stuff like this isn't fair to people like Keith Ellison, the Muslim Congressman from Minnesota.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And? Tell me if I'm wrong Irvine (or anyone else), but we still don't know all there is to know about AIDS, right? We still don't have a cure for AIDS, right? 15+ years later.

Again, I don't think this was a move to isolate all gay people and remove them from society. I really don't. Hopefully none of you do. I don't know the history of AIDS or the "timeline" of what was known about it. I probably wouldn't have said what Huckabee said, but I'm certainly not going to hold it against him. Apparently I'm alone in that here.

what do you mean "and"? by 1992 we knew that AIDS wasn't spread through casual contact. it's far, far harder to catch HIV than it is to catch the flu, and way more people die from that every year than they do from AIDS.

you really, really need to do some reading on the history of AIDS before you make statements like this. if you want a good early history, i recommend And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts if you want a good history of the very early years (1979-1983).

by 1992, people knew how HIV was spread (do you?). they knew that you can't catch it like a cold or like that virus in "outbreak." all that quarantining would have done would have been to increase the stigmatization and shame of those who have the virus, it would have been a veritable scarlet "A."

yes, Huckabee's statement support the it isolation of *some* gay people -- most gay people do not have HIV, and gay men now make up less than half of all new infections in the US.

would you recommend rounding up African-American women, as they are the group with the fastest growing HIV infection rate?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
These statements about religion are really scary. Keep religion out of politics. That's one thing that's wrong with Bush, he can't keep nutty fundamentalist religion out of his politics.
Nutty fundamentalist? Believe it or not, many people like a candidate who is open about his faith. Case in point, Huckabee's rising numbers and the two victories by W.

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
would you recommend rounding up African-American women, as they are the group with the fastest growing HIV infection rate?

Of course not.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Not by separating them from society, that isn't care, that isn't treating, that's ignorance.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Of course not.

so why excuse the quarantining of people with HIV in 1992? do the rules change when you go from gay men to african-american women?

i understand that you aren't personally advocating this, but you are defending Huckabee's statement.

what's really going on here is that Huckabee politically can't retract what he said, lest he show something like respect for gay people. and we know how much the Republican base loathes gay people.