so...Mike Huckabee. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #61
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:44 PM
"I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."

Did Christ ask for it?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I find these beliefs very troubling and at odds with my concept of what America is about.

this is the face of fascism?

and he seems so nice.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

That's one of the scariest things I've ever read from a person considered a legitimate contender for president.
Almost a scary as a candidate promising to deliver "A New Covenant" for the people if elected.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

Almost a scary as a candidate promising to deliver "A New Covenant" for the people if elected.

what? really?

how can you possibly make that comparison? someone wants to win a nation "back" for "Christ," and the other uses some loosey-goosey religious language.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #65
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Maybe someone was just a big Indiana Jones fan.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 PM
it is all about winning elections

"A New Covenant"

is obviously code to try and attract the liberal - evangelicals

one only needs a few wackos to tip an election
Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

That's one of the scariest things I've ever read from a person considered a legitimate contender for president.

I'm guessing that being from the US means you are also to a degree numb to just how strange those comments actually are from a leadership candidate. I think I can safely speak on the behalf of any members here from Australia, Canada, the UK or New Zealand (all the closest cultural cousins of the US) and say that if a candidate uttered a statement like that - or similar to about 80% of what has come from some of these guys - they would be instantly confined to the outer wacko in fringe in the minds of the absolute overwhelming majority. Christians included - who I think in this country at least tend to have a very good B.S detector, and historically do not want their faith anywhere near politics.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:

And yes, while nowhere near as scary as the Huckabee statement, not even in the same stratosphere, the 'New Covenant' slogan would have been considered just freakin' weird here too.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I really don't have anything else to say other than you're blatantly wrong. It's pretty obvious. I don't know if explaining it will do any good.

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

I'm guessing that being from the US means you are also to a degree numb to just how strange those comments actually are from a leadership candidate. I think I can safely speak on the behalf of any members here from Australia, Canada, the UK or New Zealand (all the closest cultural cousins of the US) and say that if a candidate uttered a statement like that - or similar to about 80% of what has come from some of these guys - they would be instantly confined to the outer wacko in fringe in the minds of the absolute overwhelming majority. Christians included - who I think in this country at least tend to have a very good B.S detector, and historically do not want their faith anywhere near politics.
Yeah, I've seen it mentioned. It's completely ridiculous. I wish that our conservatives could see how ridiculous it is.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

There's a big story about Huckabee in Newsweek

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74469/page/1

Apparently he has quite a temper and it's his way or the highway, so some say

They have video of his sermon in a church in Irving Texas on Dec 2nd
Old 12-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Taking Aim: Janet Huckabee shoots skeet during a campaign stop with her husband

Janet Huckabee isn't shooting from the hip ... for now.
By Arian Campo-Flores
NEWSWEEK
Updated: 5:20 PM ET Dec 8, 2007

In Iowa last week, Mike Huckabee's wife, Janet, seemed docile and shy, a model of marital devotion. She stood in the shadows behind her husband as he delivered speeches. When he worked the room afterward, she kept close, never straying more than a few feet. She greeted voters with a hushed and honeyed "Thank y'all for coming out." At a dinner with reporters one night, she kept quiet and tended to her husband, ordering him iced tea and clam chowder and nudging him when it was time to leave.

It is a portrait of reticence that would strike most Arkansans back home as unrecognizable. There, Janet Huckabee, 52, has long been known as a straight-talking, independent-minded good ole gal with a daredevil streak and a passion for the outdoors. Dubbed the "First Tomboy" when her husband was governor, she tracked bears, hunted rattlesnakes, fired a grenade launcher and jumped out of an airplane. To promote a conservation sales tax, she jet-skied down the length of the Arkansas River— a stunt that helped earn her a spot in the state's Outdoor Hall of Fame. She often charmed local residents with her exploits, though she could also alienate them when her plain-spoken style veered into irascibility and crassness. "Janet is going to tell you what she thinks," says longtime friend Anita McCauley Murrell. "She is a what-you-see-is-what-you-get kind of person."

The fourth of five siblings raised by a single mother, Janet grew up poor in Hope, Ark. She was adventurous and competitive from an early age—partly a result of "trying to keep up with her [older] brothers," says her sister Susan Hinger. In high school, where she was a star basketball player, she began dating Mike Huckabee. They married at 18, only to discover two years later that she had spinal cancer and faced the possibility of ending up paralyzed and unable to bear children. "It was a testing of his commitment to me," Janet tells NEWSWEEK. "He took care of me, helped me learn to walk again, took me daily for six weeks to radiation therapy." (She recovered and eventually had three children.) When Mike was a student at Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia, he began pastoring at the first of several churches. Janet played the role of dutiful minister's wife—but with her own twist, frequently taking off on hikes with youth groups.

As Arkansas's First Lady, Huckabee was energetic and hands-on, climbing atop Habitat for Humanity construction projects and handing out her personal number to Hurricane Katrina evacuees who landed in the state. But she also came across at times as aggressive and churlish. Janet's low point: her run for secretary of State in 2002, in which she was "perceived as thin-skinned, even mean-spirited," says Janine Parry, a political-science professor at the University of Arkansas. Huckabee attacked her opponent over a past DWI conviction and suggested, without verification, that he still had a drinking problem. Responding to critics who questioned her use of state vehicles and troopers to campaign, she told The New York Times, "If it wasn't for the grace of God, I'd have shot a few people already." She got trounced in her race—voters saw her run as an unseemly power play by the couple—and nearly dragged down her husband in his re-election bid that year.

Given that experience, Janet's current restraint is understandable. She says she offers her husband advice, but that "making policy is really not my thing." Asked how she envisions herself as a potential First Lady to the country, she says that such speculation "is a little premature." Her focus is on helping her husband get elected—and enjoying herself while she's at it. "I've often been called the queen of fun," she says. That ought to sound familiar to the folks back home.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #72
She's the One

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
while we're on this, i think we need to isolate anyone with the flu.
Working around small bipedal petrie dishes of cooties makes me want to support this idea.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Seems to me protecting straight marriage starts and ends with the actions and thoughts of straights who are married, and that loving committed gay marriages only strengthen the institution of marriage as an institution.
Makes sense to me. It amazes me that some people out there still don't seem to get this line of thinking.

Quote:
The divorce rate hasn't gone up in MA as a result of gay marriage, I believe MA has one of the lowest. Divorce is highest in certain Southern states in the Bible belt, can you believe that?
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. As I always say, when you're too busy trying to tell others how to live their lives and dictate what kind of relationships they should and shouldn't have, it leaves you very little time to focus on your relationships and make sure they're in good working order.

Quote:
In contrast, he said, the catalysts for the nation's recent school shootings -- including the one March 24 near Jonesboro that left four students and a teacher dead and 10 others wounded -- were harder to see but were driven by "the winds of spiritual change in a nation that has forgotten its God."
"Government knows it does not have the answer, but it's arrogant and acts as though it does," Huckabee said. "Church does have the answer but will cowardly deny that it does and wonder when the world will be changed."
The shootings were just one more wake-up call to the nation, he said.
Hmmmm. I wonder how Huckabee can explain what happened here in Colorado yesterday. A man who was homeschooled and came from a deeply religious household killed people at a missionary school and a church. Now, he claimed to be religious, and the aforementioned places he went to were religious, and yet...violence happened.

Between that and the quarantining AIDS victims thing...like I said after the recent Republican debate, thanks for further clarifying why I'm not planning on voting Republican next year.

Angela
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Huckabee sure makes Bush seem intelligent, by comparison.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #75
Refugee

Local Time: 04:44 AM
The latest poll on the Republican race from CNN has the following results:

Giuliani 24%
Huckabee 22%
Romney 16%
McCain 13%
Thompson 10%

Looks like Giuliani's impenetrable lead is over. Maybe Chris Matthews and others that say this might go down to the convention are right.