so...Mike Huckabee. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #31
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients. This is not cool!
He wasn't alone in that; and it was at a time when we didn't know much about how it spread. It's cruel and unusual punishment, certainly, but I can't find it in me to hold it against him. People do cruel things when they're afraid.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
your point could be considered reasonable, by some people,
if it were 1982

but, he said those remarks in 1992

Old 12-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hinder
People do cruel things when they're afraid.
Those people should not be president.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

but, hey, that's just me. perhaps the homicide rate amongst young black men, ages 18-29, really is the fault of gay people.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Mike Huckabee

Hoping that one day Americans become intelligent.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Intelligent like whom?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 08:23 PM
I'm sorry, I meant neo-cons.

I hope that one day neo-cons gain intelligence.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:43 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

I long for the day when I too can have a myopic, simplistic view of the world. Sure, colors are great, but things are so much simpler in black and white.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
Mike Huckabee

Hoping that one day Americans become intelligent.

he is all about intelligent.

he wants it's design taught in school
Old 12-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton
Intelligent like whom?

intelligent ... by design!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:23 AM
Wanting to isolate AIDS patients is enough for me not to want to vote for him. I don't want this guy for my president.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

while we're on this, i think we need to isolate anyone with the flu. it kills thousands every winter. if we can put 120,000 Japanese Americans into internment camps in 1942, surely we can round up all of our influenza sufferers and keep them form infecting the general population.

oh, wait! straight people get the flu, and often not by sexual contact.

that's where the compassion comes in.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]Huckabee Stands by Statement in 1992 that AIDS Patients Should Have Been Isolated

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he will not run from his statement 15 years ago that AIDS patients should have been isolated.

Huckabee acknowledged the prevailing scientific view then, and since, that the virus that causes AIDS is not spread through casual contact, but he said that was not certain. He cited revelations in 1991 that a dentist had infected a patient in an extraordinary case that highlighted the risk of infection through contact with blood or bodily fluids.

''I still believe this today,'' he said in a broadcast interview, that ''we were acting more out of political correctness'' in responding to the AIDS crisis. ''I don't run from it, I don't recant it,'' he said of his position in 1992. Yet he said he would state his view differently in retrospect.

Huckabee, as a U.S. Senate candidate that year, told The Associated Press that ''we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague'' if the federal government was going to deal with the spread of the disease effectively. ''It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents,'' he said then.

In an interview on ''Fox News Sunday,'' the former Arkansas governor denied those words were a call to quarantine the AIDS population, although he did not explain how else isolation would be achieved. ''I didn't say we should quarantine,'' he said. The idea was not to ''lock people up.''

Huckabee stated his 1992 positions in an AP questionnaire in which he also called homosexuality ''an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle.''

He outlined his views for the AP more than a year after President George H.W. Bush, a fellow Republican, urged an audience of business executives not to fire or otherwise discriminate against employees infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

''There is only one way to deal with an individual who is sick -- with dignity, compassion, care, confidentiality and without discrimination,'' Bush said in a speech on March 29, 1990. He also urged Congress ''to get on with the job of passing a law'' to prohibit discrimination against people infected with AIDS or HIV.

Republican presidential rival Rudy Giuliani declined to discuss the matter during a separate television interview Sunday, except to say he had heard Huckabee say it was not ''his current position.''

''I have enough of my own statements and issues that I have to deal with,'' the former New York mayor said, laughing.

Giuliani, who appeared on NBC television's ''Meet the Press,'' said in response to a question that he did not believe homosexuality was aberrant.

''The way somebody leads their life isn't sinful. It's the acts,'' said Giuliani, who supports gay rights and lived with an openly gay couple after separating from his second wife while mayor. ''It's the various acts that people perform that are sinful, not the orientation that they have.'' (AP)
[/q]
Old 12-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

It's one thing to make a statement like that when people were more ignorant of how AIDS is contracted-people were and the medical community was. But to stand by it now instead of just saying that it was an ignorant statement in that context, I just don't get that. Fear is not a justification for ignorance and refusing to just admit you were wrong.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

To add a little levity to that, I thought this was funny

Borowitz Report
Huckabee Chooses Jesus as Running Mate
Move to Shore Up Evangelical Base

In a bold move that could dramatically alter the playing field of the 2008 G.O.P. presidential race, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee today named Jesus Christ as his vice-presidential running mate.

Governor Huckabee has made an increasing number of comments about his relationship with Jesus in recent debates, but few Republican insiders expected him to announce that he was anointing Christ as his vice-presidential pick.

“This could be huge for Huckabee,” said Stenson Partridge, a veteran G.O.P. consultant. “Among Republican voters, Jesus Christ is even more popular than Ronald Reagan.”

The Reverend Pat Robertson, a supporter of former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani, said he was “blindsided” by the news of Huckabee’s decision: “I talked to Jesus last night and He didn’t mention anything about it.”

At a raucous Huckabee rally in Davenport, Iowa today, supporters of the former Arkansas governor could be seen holding signs reading “HUCKABEE/CHRIST ’08.”

It is “highly unorthodox” for a presidential candidate to select a vice presidential running mate who is a prominent figure in the Holy Bible, says Davis Logsdon, dean of the School of Divinity at the University of Minnesota.

But according to Mr. Logsdon, if the Huckabee-Christ ticket makes it all the way to the White House, it could be historic in more ways than one: “If Huckabee is elected and then something happens to him while in office, we would be looking at our first Jewish president.”