so...Mike Huckabee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
Huckabee wanted to isolate AIDS patients. This is not cool!

He wasn't alone in that; and it was at a time when we didn't know much about how it spread. It's cruel and unusual punishment, certainly, but I can't find it in me to hold it against him. People do cruel things when they're afraid.

I'm sorry, I meant neo-cons.

I hope that one day neo-cons gain intelligence.

while we're on this, i think we need to isolate anyone with the flu. it kills thousands every winter. if we can put 120,000 Japanese Americans into internment camps in 1942, surely we can round up all of our influenza sufferers and keep them form infecting the general population.

oh, wait! straight people get the flu, and often not by sexual contact.

that's where the compassion comes in.

[q]Huckabee Stands by Statement in 1992 that AIDS Patients Should Have Been Isolated

U.S. Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Sunday he will not run from his statement 15 years ago that AIDS patients should have been isolated.

Huckabee acknowledged the prevailing scientific view then, and since, that the virus that causes AIDS is not spread through casual contact, but he said that was not certain. He cited revelations in 1991 that a dentist had infected a patient in an extraordinary case that highlighted the risk of infection through contact with blood or bodily fluids.

''I still believe this today,'' he said in a broadcast interview, that ''we were acting more out of political correctness'' in responding to the AIDS crisis. ''I don't run from it, I don't recant it,'' he said of his position in 1992. Yet he said he would state his view differently in retrospect.

Huckabee, as a U.S. Senate candidate that year, told The Associated Press that ''we need to take steps that would isolate the carriers of this plague'' if the federal government was going to deal with the spread of the disease effectively. ''It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population, and in which this deadly disease for which there is no cure is being treated as a civil rights issue instead of the true health crisis it represents,'' he said then.

In an interview on ''Fox News Sunday,'' the former Arkansas governor denied those words were a call to quarantine the AIDS population, although he did not explain how else isolation would be achieved. ''I didn't say we should quarantine,'' he said. The idea was not to ''lock people up.''

Huckabee stated his 1992 positions in an AP questionnaire in which he also called homosexuality ''an aberrant, unnatural, and sinful lifestyle.''

He outlined his views for the AP more than a year after President George H.W. Bush, a fellow Republican, urged an audience of business executives not to fire or otherwise discriminate against employees infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

''There is only one way to deal with an individual who is sick -- with dignity, compassion, care, confidentiality and without discrimination,'' Bush said in a speech on March 29, 1990. He also urged Congress ''to get on with the job of passing a law'' to prohibit discrimination against people infected with AIDS or HIV.

Republican presidential rival Rudy Giuliani declined to discuss the matter during a separate television interview Sunday, except to say he had heard Huckabee say it was not ''his current position.''

''I have enough of my own statements and issues that I have to deal with,'' the former New York mayor said, laughing.

Giuliani, who appeared on NBC television's ''Meet the Press,'' said in response to a question that he did not believe homosexuality was aberrant.

''The way somebody leads their life isn't sinful. It's the acts,'' said Giuliani, who supports gay rights and lived with an openly gay couple after separating from his second wife while mayor. ''It's the various acts that people perform that are sinful, not the orientation that they have.'' (AP)
[/q]

It's one thing to make a statement like that when people were more ignorant of how AIDS is contracted-people were and the medical community was. But to stand by it now instead of just saying that it was an ignorant statement in that context, I just don't get that. Fear is not a justification for ignorance and refusing to just admit you were wrong.

To add a little levity to that, I thought this was funny

Borowitz Report
Huckabee Chooses Jesus as Running Mate
Move to Shore Up Evangelical Base

In a bold move that could dramatically alter the playing field of the 2008 G.O.P. presidential race, former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee today named Jesus Christ as his vice-presidential running mate.

Governor Huckabee has made an increasing number of comments about his relationship with Jesus in recent debates, but few Republican insiders expected him to announce that he was anointing Christ as his vice-presidential pick.

“This could be huge for Huckabee,” said Stenson Partridge, a veteran G.O.P. consultant. “Among Republican voters, Jesus Christ is even more popular than Ronald Reagan.”

The Reverend Pat Robertson, a supporter of former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani, said he was “blindsided” by the news of Huckabee’s decision: “I talked to Jesus last night and He didn’t mention anything about it.”

At a raucous Huckabee rally in Davenport, Iowa today, supporters of the former Arkansas governor could be seen holding signs reading “HUCKABEE/CHRIST ’08.”

It is “highly unorthodox” for a presidential candidate to select a vice presidential running mate who is a prominent figure in the Holy Bible, says Davis Logsdon, dean of the School of Divinity at the University of Minnesota.

But according to Mr. Logsdon, if the Huckabee-Christ ticket makes it all the way to the White House, it could be historic in more ways than one: “If Huckabee is elected and then something happens to him while in office, we would be looking at our first Jewish president.”

Daily Kos

Huckabee: Gay Marriage Would End Civilization
by Devilstower
Thu Dec 06, 2007 at 11:40:21 AM PST

Forget terrorists. Mike Huckabee has identified a threat right here at home that would result in the downfall of our whole civilization.

GQ: Is the strategy shifting because social conservatives are losing on those core issues? Ten years ago, it would have been unimaginable to have gay marriage even in liberal Massachusetts. Now it's there.

Huckabee: I don't think the issue's about being against gay marriage. It's about being for traditional marriage and articulating the reason that's important. You have to have a basic family structure. There's never been a civilization that has rewritten what marriage and family means and survived. So there is a sense in which, you know, it's one thing to say if people want to live a different way, that's their business. But when you want to redefine what family means or what marriage means, then that's an issue that should require some serious and significant debate in the public square.

Huckabee isn't the first to make these kind of statements. The idea that marriage is so sacrosanct that disturbing one dot in the word "license" would be enough to end us, has become part of the right's standard patter.

So, I'm wondering, who were these civilizations that re-wrote the meaning of marriage or family, and met some horrible doom. Was it the many civilizations were marriage was arranged and decided long before children were of marriageable age? Was it the Jewish civilizations of Jesus' day where brothers were required to marry their brother's widows? Was it civilizations that allowed siblings to marry? How about first cousins? Could be it civilizations who adopted the silly idea that you should marry for love. Perhaps it was the Mormons who decided to practice polygamy. Perhaps it was those who decided to stop. Or maybe it was the polyandrous cultures in many mountainous or arctic regions.

The truth is that every society rewrites the rules of marriage and family. That's what happens to all our social values as they respond to changes in how we live, what we know, and our available resources. Yes, friction occurs when the boundaries of a social convention no longer match those of a society in which it's embedded, but the societies that survive are exactly those which demonstrate the flexibility to change and adapt.

We stand at the end of a long line of rule-changers, of civilizations that have made institutions like marriage work for them, instead of against them. The dust under our feet is composed of all the civilizations that just the kind of rigidity that Huckabee wants for us now. The civilizations who fail are not those who acknowledge changing conditions and reshape their rules, but those who don't.

Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen I don't think the issue's about being against gay marriage. [/B]

this is what baffles me. why do you have to make sure that gay people can't get married in order to "protect" straight marriage?

it's the classic scapegoating of an unpopular minority group as an explanation for the shortcomings of the majority.

this is why gay marriage is well on it's way. because opposition to it is throughly confused, if not totally illogical.

Seems to me protecting straight marriage starts and ends with the actions and thoughts of straights who are married, and that loving committed gay marriages only strengthen the institution of marriage as an institution. But what do I know I guess..The divorce rate hasn't gone up in MA as a result of gay marriage, I believe MA has one of the lowest. Divorce is highest in certain Southern states in the Bible belt, can you believe that?

Huckabee: U.S. gave up on religion
School shootings were wake-up call, he says
LINDA S. CAILLOUET
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

June 8, 1998

SALT LAKE CITY -- Government may have dropped the ball in modern American society, but religion dropped it first, Gov. Mike Huckabee told Southern Baptist pastors Sunday night.
"The reason we have so much government is because we have so much broken humanity," he said. "And the reason we have so much broken humanity is because sin reigns in the hearts and lives of human beings instead of the Savior."
Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, addressed his contemporaries at the two-day Pastors' Conference, which continues today. The three-day Southern Baptist Convention begins Tuesday here in the heartland of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the city in which the Mormons have their world headquarters.
Huckabee told the pastors gathered in the Salt Palace Convention Center that while the March 1, 1997, tornadoes which struck Arkansas were tragic, at least the devastation could be clearly seen from a helicopter. In contrast, he said, the catalysts for the nation's recent school shootings -- including the one March 24 near Jonesboro that left four students and a teacher dead and 10 others wounded -- were harder to see but were driven by "the winds of spiritual change in a nation that has forgotten its God."
"Government knows it does not have the answer, but it's arrogant and acts as though it does," Huckabee said. "Church does have the answer but will cowardly deny that it does and wonder when the world will be changed."
The shootings were just one more wake-up call to the nation, he said.
"I fear we will turn and hit the snooze button one more time and lose this great republic of ours."
Huckabee said ungiving individuals are responsible for higher taxes.
"I'm often asked why taxes are so high and government is so big. It's because the faith we have in local churches has become so small. If we'd been doing what we should have -- giving a dime from every dollar to help the widows, the orphans and the poor -- we now wouldn't be giving nearly 50 cents of every dollar to a government that's doing ... what we should have been doing all along."
Huckabee also explained why he left pastoring for politics.
"I didn't get into politics because I thought government had a better answer. I got into politics because I knew government didn't have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives."
He compared his entry into politics to "getting inside the dragon's belly," adding, "There's not one thing we can do in those marbled halls and domed capitols that can equal what's done when Jesus touches the lives of a sinner."
The most basic unit of government is not the city council, quorum court or state legislature, Huckabee said. "It is Mom and Dad raising kids and teaching them respect for authority, others and God."
The nation has descended gradually into crisis, Huckabee said, and repairing the damage needs to be gradual, too. He said the solution is simple: faith in Christ.
Huckabee recalled the five occasions he's had to sit by the phone on the eve of an execution.
"It's the greatest sense of helplessness and despair you can imagine to know we've exhausted all help and hope here on earth for that person."
He also spoke of his early misconceptions of his duties as a pastor.
"In one of the first churches I was assigned to, I thought I was supposed to be the captain of a warship leading the congregation into a battle against spiritual darkness," he said.
"But they wanted the captain of the Love Boat. They just wanted everybody to be happy. It was not about how many people were won to Christ or how many teens were pulled away from drugs or how many marriages were saved. Instead, it was about the seniors having a great trip going to watch the fall leaves change, the teen-agers going to a better summer camp than the church across town."
Huckabee concluded his speech by recalling his 10th birthday, when he accepted Christ.
"I went to Vacation Bible School for all the wrong reasons -- I was told they'd give me all the cookies I could eat and all the Kool-Aid I could drink. But that day I got something better than cookies and Kool-Aid. I got the Savior.
"I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
Before Huckabee spoke, more than 350 copies of his new book, Kids Who Kill: Confronting our Culture of Violence, had been placed in reporters' press boxes in the convention center press room.
The slick cover of the book is a grim one -- a black-and-white, blurry photograph of a young boy pointing a gun at the reader. The most prominent part of the photograph is the round barrel of the gun. At the top of the book, this question is posed: "Are we reaping what we've sown?"
The book was co-written by Dr. George Grant, director of the King's Meadow Study Center and a contributor to World magazine.
The back cover states: "No more hand-wringing, no more finger-pointing. No more sound bites." It also makes a reference to the Jonesboro school shootings. Huckabee has recently been criticized by opponents claiming he has capitalized on the shootings with the publication of his book.
The back cover states: "Just after lunch on March 24, 1998, four school children and a teacher were murdered by two students, ages thirteen and eleven, at an Arkansas middle school. Governor Mike Huckabee was informed of the tragedy en route from Washington, D.C. By the time he arrived, the news media were already waiting -- already polling the pundits and drawing conclusions based on the sketchiest information. The quest for quick answers has robbed us of the truth. Until now."
The paperback is published by Broadman & Holman, a Nashville, Tenn., arm of the Baptist Sunday School Board. It retails for $11.99. Publicists for the book said last week they didn't expect it to arrive at the convention until today.
Huckabee and his wife, Janet, left Salt Lake City immediately after his speech, and the governor did not hold a book signing at the convention. In fact, Huckabee didn't know the books had made it to the convention, said editors of the biweekly Arkansas Baptist Newsmagazine who visited with the governor shortly before his speech.
Huckabee, governor since 1996, is a former president of the Arkansas Baptist Convention. He has authored one other book, Character is the Issue: How People with Integrity Can Revolutionize America, which was first publicly announced at the 1997 Southern Baptist Convention in Dallas a year ago and released last September.
Other books given to reporters at the convention Sunday included a how-to boycott book aimed at the Walt Disney Co. by Richard D. Land titled Sending a Message to Mickey: The ABC's of Making Your Voice Heard at Disney. The back cover features an outline of the famous mouse's round ears and the words: "He who has ears, let him hear."
The other book was Mormonism Unmasked by R. Philip Roberts, who examines the beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

dude, seriously, if you want others to treat you with respect, you might want to tone down on the whole, "YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT AMERICAN HISTORY."

:eyebrow: What are you talking about?

Irvine511 said:

:shame:

Jesus loves only those who refrain from buttsex.

it says so in the Bible.

You know Irvine, it's statements like these that make me disregard and struggle to take seriously anything you say.

2861U2 said:

You know Irvine, it's statements like these that make me disregard and struggle to take seriously anything you say.

if you can't find the humor and irony in that, then you really need to get out more.

how else are we to understand the "sinfulness" of homosexual "acts"?

2861U2 said:

It's your reasoning and logic that make it hard for many to take anything you say seriously. :shrug:

Huckabee explained why he left pastoring for politics.
"I didn't get into politics because I thought government had a better answer. I got into politics because I knew government didn't have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives."

He compared his entry into politics to "getting inside the dragon's belly," adding, "There's not one thing we can do in those marbled halls and domed capitols that can equal what's done when Jesus touches the lives of a sinner."

"I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."

Some people will like these remarks and want to support him.

I find these beliefs very troubling and at odds with my concept of what America is about.

deep said:
I find these beliefs very troubling and at odds with my concept of what America is about.

That's one of the scariest things I've ever read from a person considered a legitimate contender for president.

Back
Top Bottom