so...Mike Huckabee.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

:| No. What are you implying?

I wasn't implying anything. I was merely curious, because I tend to find it odd when men put this issue at the top of their issues list.

LemonMelon said:

Yeah, I get what she's/you're saying. I just wish she would have told me that straight on instead of attempting to make me look foolish by asking my gender. :huh:

Really, cut back on the sarcasm, people. This isn't a pissing match, it's supposed to be a discussion about Mike Huckabee's political positions.

Maybe you should cut back on making silly assumptions?

martha said:

So do I, especially young men.

You know, most of the leaders of anti-choice organizations are men. Is it a control thing?

Another thing I find interesting is that generally the most outspoken ones are young, white men. Why is that? Proportionally speaking, minority men are not up in arms over this issue in comparable numbers.

Dayum. A lot of picking apart and twisting words going on here.

Like I said. A collection of cells has more rights than I do, according to you.

The woman always has top priority. I never said she didn't. Abortion can be a valuable process, which is why I've never said I wanted it outlawed. However, I believe a future child should have a shot at life if their birth is simply an inconvenience. Don't use sarcasm and exaggeration in order to weaken my point.

It is. One you both share.

I wasn't referring to this conversation in particular. I was talking about many of the other pages.

But your health will never be directly affected by the laws you support in this case.

Already answered that.

I wasn't implying anything. I was merely curious, because I tend to find it odd when men put this issue at the top of their issues list.

What do you care if I put it high on my issues list? Hell, many consider it murder. Murder is something many take seriously. You can put 2 and 2 together. It's really quite obvious why so many men care.

Maybe you should cut back on making silly assumptions?

Assuming that someone who's been on this website for 6 years already knows my gender and is using a rhetorical question is hardly a "silly" assumption. :wink:

So are women who disagree with you somehow misguided?

Just curious. How do they fit into your world view?

Are women only allowed to voice an honest opinion about this?

Your answer to this question intrigues me. Maybe it will save some poor poster some time by posting.

By the way, if only women get to weigh in on this issue, I think only people who earn over 100, 000 should be allowed to weigh in on taxes. It is only logical.

Only people who serve in the service should be allowed to vote on war.

What exactly are the qualifications for weighing in on this issue?

Clearly the religious are out, because they are biased.

Babies, no, they should be out because they are biased.....

I should stop drinking scotch and posting......

Only Bar owners and Beer distributors should be able to vote on hours of operation

Only smokers should be able to vote on smoking.....

Or how about, people can voice an opinion without having to identify themselves as being gay, straight, religious, conservative, female, male, ect.....and feel like they are welcome in this place.

Free your mind my ass.....That is not what this place is about.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Assuming that someone who's been on this website for 6 years already knows my gender and is using a rhetorical question is hardly a "silly" assumption. :wink:

Honestly, I haven't really noticed you at all on this site and I hardly venture off a couple of boards. I had no idea what gender you are, I have no idea where you live, how old you are, or anything. I've never had any kind of conversation with you, PM or anything else personal I can recall. Believe it or not, I have a busy life and don't make it a habit to make a note of everyone's details around here.

anitram said:

Honestly, I haven't really noticed you at all on this site and I hardly venture off a couple of boards. I had no idea what gender you are, I have no idea where you live, how old you are, or anything. I've never had any kind of conversation with you, PM or anything else personal I can recall. Believe it or not, I have a busy life and don't make it a habit to make a note of everyone's details around here.

Fair enough. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

Dreadsox said:
So are women who disagree with you somehow misguided?

Just curious. How do they fit into your world view?

Are women only allowed to voice an honest opinion about this?

Who are you talking to?

If it's me, I never insinuated any of the things you are talking about in your circular ways. I really just find it curious when a man makes a priority of this issue - maybe because in my personal life I've never known men who have cared that much about this area. Certainly my brother and father are as pro-choice as can be and I've never dated a man who wasn't very explicitly pro-choice.

If you're talking to martha, then disregard this post.

It's a fair enough question, really. I just think many men take moral offense to it, which is what causes them to get so bent out of shape over it.

Me, I just get bent out of shape when I'm being pegged as a "let the baby live, and if the mother dies, she dies" type, when that's not what I am at all.

I am just talking....I am quite honestly drunk off my ass....having put down a few glasses of scotch in the last hour. If you feel like responding fine....

I just do not see why someone's sex matters in a forum called Free Your Mind.....

Maybe the forum should be renamed....

To fuck you if your opinion does not match mine?

Personally I like Free Your Mind....

Mike Huckabee, the person this thread is allegedly about, does not match up to the picture I have for the next president....

But I enjoy reading and learning about his stance on the issues....I do not feel it necessary to poll if someone is male, female, gay lesbian ect to get their opinion.

LemonMelon said:
It's a fair enough question, really. I just think many men take moral offense to it, which is what causes them to get so bent out of shape over it.

Me, I just get bent out of shape when I'm being pegged as a "let the baby live, and if the mother dies, she dies" type, when that's not what I am at all.

But there cannot be any middle ground. You will be labeled as a fence sitter.

It is black or white in FYM with no shades of grey.....

LemonMelon said:

Abortion prevents parenthood. They're definitely linked.

All you have to do is make sure to only knock up an anti-abortion chick and you're all good for all the parenthood you could possibly want.

Dreadsox said:

But I enjoy reading and learning about his stance on the issues....I do not feel it necessary to poll if someone is male, female, gay lesbian ect to get their opinion.

Well, good for you. I absolutely feel that on this topic, viewpoints do differ from the point of gender. Surely there are women at FYM who have had an abortion - I think their feelings will be different than mine as a woman who hasn't had one and different than a man's who will never have one.

I wasn't polling him in order to evaluate his opinion, I was merely curious. There are a number of times you've asked questions that I didn't think are necessary to extract a person's opinion - I just don't generally see what the value of pointing such a thing out would be. To each his own.

indra said:

All you have to do is make sure to only knock up an anti-abortion chick and you're all good for all the parenthood you could possibly want.

Have I ever told you how much I enjoy your posts.....:wink:

Dreadsox said:

But there cannot be any middle ground. You will be labeled as a fence sitter.

It is black or white in FYM with no shades of grey.....

Concerning this issue, yes, it's pretty black-or-white around here.

And you're not wrong that certain opinions simply aren't tolerated around here...sometimes that issue just makes me want to say "fuck it" and not even bother, since I know I'll just be attacked for being in the FYM (which is roughly 98% liberal) minority. Still, there are a lot of great people in this section that are just very vocal and very serious about their opinions, which I can respect. It's what keeps me coming back.

anitram said:

Well, good for you. I absolutely feel that on this topic, viewpoints do differ from the point of gender. Surely there are women at FYM who have had an abortion - I think their feelings will be different than mine as a woman who hasn't had one and different than a man's who will never have one.

I wasn't polling him in order to evaluate his opinion, I was merely curious. There are a number of times you've asked questions that I didn't think are necessary to extract a person's opinion - I just don't generally see what the value of pointing such a thing out would be. To each his own.

I actually consider you to be someone who seeks others opinions and values the input.

But, there are women who have had abortions and women who have not who feel equally passsionate that they are right or wrong.

Should we have a standard to value one opinion over another?

LemonMelon said:

Concerning this issue, yes, it's pretty black-or-white around here.

And you're not wrong that certain opinions simply aren't tolerated around here...sometimes that issue just makes me want to say "fuck it" and not even bother, since I know I'll just be attacked for being in the FYM (which is roughly 98% liberal) minority. Still, there are a lot of great people in this section that are just very vocal and very serious about their opinions, which I can respect. It's what keeps me coming back.

I am not sure what keeps me coming back....LOL

Dreadsox said:

Should we have a standard to value one opinion over another?

No, but honestly I think you're almost arguing in theory here, because I don't see anyone here who stated that we should have a hierarchy of opinions. Maybe I haven't read all the abortion threads (mostly they make me want to gouge my eyes out), so it's possible it's popped up and I haven't seen it.

So I'm not really sure if you're just musing here or what. I just didn't like the assumption that was attached to my post - that I was implying like the opinion of a poster is somehow less valuable because of what he's got between his legs. It was an honest question and sometimes things are just as they seem. If you choose to read more into them, then that's really your issue and not the person's (I mean general "you" not you personally).

LemonMelon said:

You're drunk. You must have stumbled in here by accident. :wink:

I am .... tis the season..... Three hours of sleep since Sunday....

anitram said:

No, but honestly I think you're almost arguing in theory here, because I don't see anyone here who stated that we should have a hierarchy of opinions. Maybe I haven't read all the abortion threads (mostly they make me want to gouge my eyes out), so it's possible it's popped up and I haven't seen it.

Maybe I am ..... But I am not sure from the direction of the conversation in general (NOT YOUR POSTS) that there is a line of arguments that white males opinions are somehow devalued on this topic.

anitram said:

The hierarchy kicks in during the homosexual rights/marriage threads, mostly. (For the record, that is one issue I have very little opinion about, perhaps because it doesn't affect me at all, and perhaps because I haven't given much thought to the potential ramifications of it) I have literally heard the phrase "certain opinions aren't allowed" in that particular area. I'm not bitching about it or anything, but that's just what I observed.

Abortion isn't all that volatile of a subject here, but I've seen it be that nasty elsewhere. People really take it seriously.

LemonMelon said:
And you're not wrong that certain opinions simply aren't tolerated around here...sometimes that issue just makes me want to say "fuck it" and not even bother, since I know I'll just be attacked for being in the FYM (which is roughly 98% liberal) minority.

Frankly, sometimes I wish you would say "fuck it". I thought you were a pretty cool guy until I encountered your ridiculous posts here. Never would've guessed you were one of them, really. Now that's somewhat impacted how I think of you.

Though I would agree to a point that the abortion issue is often treated as too black-and-white by both sides on this forum. I'm a pacifist and strongly oppose any taking of human life, but when and where does life begin? I don't know. And I'm certainly not getting any answers from the debates here (or other Internet forums, as the vitriol is hardly limited to FYM). Accordingly, I'm at a bit of a loss for a stance on abortion. That said, I find myself siding with the pro-choice crowd as the anti-choicers have a nasty habit of disgusting me.

Axver said:

Frankly, sometimes I wish you would say "fuck it". I thought you were a pretty cool guy until I encountered your ridiculous posts here. Never would've guessed you were one of them, really. Now that's somewhat impacted how I think of you.

And the same goes for me, too, Ax. Many of my opinions of different posters here are slanted thanks to this forum. However, I can't let that happen to too great of a degree because I don't spend nearly enough time in this section and too much in the others to let some political differences get in the way of my U2-based discussions with the rest of you.

I now base my opinions of other posters here (specifically FYM) on the following criteria:

1. Their ability to coherently state their opinion using facts and some level of reason.

2. Their acceptance of other members' opinions.

It would be far too easy to call someone an idiot simply because they disagree with you.

The only "opinions" I'm intolerant of are non-opinions (i.e.: blatant ignoring of facts) on issues such as gay rights.

abcnews.com

Mike Huckabee Tells ABC News Why His Campaign is Working
By JAKE TAPPER

DES MOINES, Iowa Dec. 19, 2007 —

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee has just landed in Des Moines and he's surveying the enormous plush black bus that will be taking him on a 15-city tour of the state.

It's decorated with a huge picture of him.

"It's strange," Huckabee says. "Kind of like riding in a bread truck and you're the bread."

Underneath his gigantic photograph it reads: "Mike Huckabee. Faith. Family. Freedom."

And faith is no small reason for Huckabee's success in the Hawkeye state, where he now holds a commanding lead among likely Republican caucus-goers, who will cast their votes in just two weeks.

A new ABC News/Washington Post poll shows former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney leading Huckabee narrowly among the 80 percent of caucus-goers who don't care about Romney's Mormon faith.

But among the 20 percent who say Romney's Mormonism makes them less likely to vote for him, Huckabee's lead is so overwhelming he now leads Romney overall by eight points, 35 percent to 27 percent.

Does it concern Huckabee that one of the reasons for his surge in the polls is what can be seen as intolerance of Mormonism?

"I don't know that it's intolerance," the Baptist minister tells ABC News.

Then he stops himself and makes the first point he wants to make: "First of all, I don't think whether a person's a Mormon or is Baptist or is Jewish, I don't think that has anything to do with whether they would be a good president."

Huckabee continues, "I think what people ought to look at is whether their record is consistent. How did they get where they are? Do they really truly represent that guy out there who says, when he's putting his family around the table at dinner, 'There's my president, I'm watching him on TV, he understands me. He understands what I'm dealing with. And he's going to make a decision based on how it's going to affect me, not how it's going to affect him.'"

Does it bother Huckabee that unwillingness to vote for a Mormon is one of the factors helping him?

"You know, it's not something that I agree with," Huckabee says. "But I agree with the final outcome. I just have to believe that there's still a reason that a lot of people are connecting with me and I don't think it's religion."

Romney today told reporters that "there will always be people who don't understand my faith terribly well, and people who will make a decision on the basis of familiarity with a faith."

But he said he believes "the great majority of Iowans will choose the nominee of our party based on their experience and their vision, and their leadership and are not going to make a decision based on what church they go to."

Romney adds: "There will always be exceptions to those things."

Tensions are high between Romney and Huckabee, with the former Massachusetts governor mentioning Huckabee at almost every campaign stop, calling him "liberal," and assailing his record on taxes, immigration, and crime.

"The dog doesn't bark at a parked car," Huckabee says. "So the reason that we're getting this is because people say, 'This guy's going to run away with the election if we don't stop him.' So what do they do to stop me? Distortions. Untruths. Desperate attacks."

Asked if he and Romney fighting might not create an opening for a third candidate, Huckabee smiled. "I don't plan to fight with him. He's throwing punches and I'm saying Merry Christmas."

Huckabee's "Merry Christmas" TV ad -- in which he invokes the name Christ possibly for the first time ever in a broadcast ad by a presidential candidate -- was viewed by some of his opponents as a blatant attempt to remind evangelical voters, who comprise nearly 40 percent of GOP caucus-goers, that he's one of them.

"I don't think we've ever had an election as close to Christmas," Huckabee explains. "We've all been struggling with, 'How do you campaign so close to Christmas?' And one thing we chose to do, we weren't going to fill people's mailboxes up with a bunch of poison mail. Because most people go to the mailbox and they want some nice comfortable Christmas cards that say, 'Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Man,' not 'Here's a hammer, let's crack this fellow's kneecaps.' I mean, it's unbecoming."

"It was honestly an attempt to change the tone of the campaign," he says. "If I invoke the name Jesus Christ in profanity nobody would think a thing."

A previous Huckabee TV ad characterized him as a "Christian Leader," prompting Romney to say in Iowa on Dec. 14, "Gov. Huckabee, in running an ad that says Christian leader, is clearly calling attention to his faith and I don't know that that's been done before in recent American history where someone advertises their faith."

Huckabee says that nonreligious voters support him as well and suggests his success is because voters identify with him beyond faith.

But he clearly sees his success in terms of his cultural differences with Romney, a wealthy son of privilege supported by many in the Republican establishment, who has outspent every other Republican candidate.

"More Americans grew up like I did than grew up in a world where they were born on third base, got up, and thought they hit a triple," Huckabee says. "Life is a struggle for most Americans. And I think when I share my own personal pilgrimage to be here, people recognize, 'Hey that's me. That's me.'"

His success in the ABC News poll, Huckabee says in another reference to Romney, is "a testament to the people of Iowa who, despite the fact that we've been outspent 20-to-1, are rallying to our campaign. What an affirmation that the election process is still alive ... that the average American can have an effect and it's not just controlled by a handful of special people in the Wall Street-to-Washington axis."

"It's a good position to be in," he says as the "Huckabus" approaches a mall where reporters are packed like paparazzi awaiting a starlet. "Having been in the back of the pack for so long, there's a saying that only the lead dog gets a change of scenery. And it's kind of nice to see the scenery."

Back
Top Bottom