so long paul martin, so long canada, hello superfreaks - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:24 AM
so long paul martin, so long canada, hello superfreaks

canada stands today as one of the best countries in the world in almost every important category.

we've progressed nicely as a country that's allowed citizens to express themselves, while also protecting our more conservative minded folk with right to a freedom of speech.

indeed, it would seem as though we've accomadated both sides of the political spectrum.

now a scandal breaks through, some words are said, and people are willing to dismiss what might be the best prime minister we've had in decades.

the alliance, the reform party, whatever you wanna call them are on the brink of power - and make no doubt about the course of action they'll take once they do.

backwards is the new forwards.

it's a red dawn in canada, it would seem. yes, i still have a flair for the dramatics...

anyway, i'm quite upset about this. as bad as the scandal is, so far no trails have led to any prominent minister or our pm. and don't tell me this sort of shit doesnt take place inside of every party in every country...

may the chaos end with a martin victory...of ma7ority proportions.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Minority governments in Canada last an average of 18 months. An election is an inevitability, because, at the core, all four parties hate each other and the Liberals are sitting ducks, considering how long they have remained in power. The "sponsorship scandal" is the Canadian version of "Whitewater," except that it affects the entire party, rather than just Paul Martin. If the Liberals can delay the election until the autumn, they may be able to squeak through another election.

The Canadian Alliance...err..."Conservative Party" is pretty scary, but most of their power is still concentrated in the usual three provinces: Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. They may be able to get Ontario to swing narrowly in their favor currently, looking at the poll numbers, and they certainly won't get Quebec, who will just swing more to the Bloc (although they really can't swing in that direction anymore than they currently have, really).

In short, the Conservatives may be able to squeeze into a minority government of their own, but I predict it would collapse even faster than a Liberal minority government, because if the Liberals can't get along with the NDP and the Bloc, the Conservatives certainly won't be able to.

And, of course, the inevitable salvo of hate that will seep out of the Alberta Conservatives will lead to some very interesting sound bites for the media. While the politics of hate has won the GOP elections for decades here in the U.S., Canadians usually don't take too kindly to bigotry.

Melon

Old 04-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 AM
I'm just pissed off that this would be more money wasted on another election. This whole sponsorship scandal is not news to me. What, politicians greasing palms of their buddies, surprise, surprise. Of course, in this case, no services were rendered. I don't agree with it but the corruption runs deep into the bureaucratical level of federal services and will continue regardless of political party in office.

On the other hand, I don't want Stephen Harpur as PM. I hope Canada is not headed towards the Italian system of new government's every year or so. I have faith in Canadians so I'm sure we will come out ok.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 03:24 AM
I thought you meant you were moving to the U.S.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:47 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jay canseco
I thought you meant you were moving to the U.S.
me too
Old 04-21-2005, 11:58 PM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The Canadian Alliance...err..."Conservative Party" is pretty scary, but most of their power is still concentrated in the usual three provinces: Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. They may be able to get Ontario to swing narrowly in their favor currently, looking at the poll numbers, and they certainly won't get Quebec, who will just swing more to the Bloc (although they really can't swing in that direction anymore than they currently have, really).

In short, the Conservatives may be able to squeeze into a minority government of their own, but I predict it would collapse even faster than a Liberal minority government, because if the Liberals can't get along with the NDP and the Bloc, the Conservatives certainly won't be able to.
This is exactly accurate....the best the Conservatives can do is to get their own minority, if that. Frankly, I think that the Liberals will still probably win a general election, since even with all of the scandal they're still about 50-50 with the Conservatives in the general poll. Actually, I saw one interesting poll in the paper the other day saying that when asked the question of 'Who would be the better PM?' Paul Martin got 44% to Harper's mid-twenties percentage. Maybe the problem is that the Conservative party needs a new figurehead, more than anything the Liberals do.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:53 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:24 AM
our local cbc radio has a call in show on in the morning, and you can guess what the topic of conversation was this morning. a rather disgruntled man called in and said that it's not that he doesn't care about the corruption involved with the sponsorship scandal, but that he prefers paul martin's corrupt government to steven harper as prime minister.

i must say that i wholeheartedly agree.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:56 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dandy
a rather disgruntled man called in and said that it's not that he doesn't care about the corruption involved with the sponsorship scandal, but that he prefers paul martin's corrupt government to steven harper as prime minister.

i must say that i wholeheartedly agree.
As do I. Stephen Harper is bad news, no matter which way you look at it. The day he becomes PM will be a very unsettling day for Canada indeed.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I really hope Canadians don`t punish Paul Martin and the entire Liberal party for this scandal. It`s sounding more and more like it was confined to a few bad apples and not anything too widespread amongst the party.

I don`t believe the Conservatives could win an election - I think Canadians will see through their opportunism (especially Ontarians who remain very apprehensive of Harper). I think Paul Martin was right last night in suggesting that we wait until the outcome of the Gomery Commission before going ahead with an election and according to most polls, Canadians tend to agree with this.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:24 AM
im not as confident as the rest of you that the conservatives will be wholly unable to make inroads in ontario to the extent that they could secure a solid minority and perhaps creep into majority territory.

combine that with a quebec dominated by the bloc and there will be very little stability in canada.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #11
War Child

What i'm peed off about most is how this may delay the same-sex legislation bill (not to mention the legislation on marijuana laws). If Conservatives come in, say goodbye to both of those for a while.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

The only difference between the Liberals and the other parties is that they had the misfortune of getting caught stealing public money. That's all.

An election is a huge waste of money, but I guess it's coming.

It will be a cold day in hell before I vote for the Conservatives, but I have not been voting for the Liberals nor will I in the next election. NDP voter here, even if my riding is hopeless.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:24 AM
I'd never vote conservative, never, and im from ALBERTA!

I've seen what conservative gov't do, their attitydes towards the less fortunate it the worst.

I'm an NDP voter and hopefully the NDP will be the big winners out of this!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #14
Refugee

And now every Conservatiuve will be screaming "even Bono is against him", just to add fuel to the fire. This is kind of where I widh bono would take time to do his homework...and pout his own remarks in context. Given the situation just now, those kind of remarks might better have been made in a private phone call. (see News thread.) He doesn't know what power he has. Becuase of him, Wolfowitz is coastng to the World Bank job, while his companion, John Boton, (who did NOT get on the phone with him), is getting grilled and his nomnation to the UN post delayed.

Damn it, he is so discreet about US elections.... why is he doing this now??? He is usuallu more clued in about this stuff.

I wonder if Bush secretly instigated this thing, just to get the Liberals out of power, just to make US drug companies happy...Harper, I sense, might be less sympaythetic to Americans buying cheap Candian prescription drugs. Among other issues. Heck, maybe Pfitzer is secretly funding this...
Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:24 AM