so long paul martin, so long canada, hello superfreaks - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:33 AM
Canada is indeed in a very difficult position these days.

The Liberals have governed for too long and are corrupt. But so are the other parties.

Should we punish the Liberals? I think so. The problem is that no other party can expect to win, really. At least not with Harper as leader of the Conservatives.

I'm from Québec and I can't relate AT ALL with Harper. And neither can most Québécois. His social stance is the opposite of ours and the man doesn't speak French all that well. It is impossible to have a majority government without at least some support in Québec. And Harper's Conservatives will never get support here. Mulroney did. But Harper won't.

So the best they can do is get a minority government that will fall even faster than the Liberal's. But this will probably spark the independance debate in Québec, once again, since the federal system might look impossible to function... and the Québec Liberals (provincial party) are probably the worst government we've had since Duplessis.

Politics are very interesting these days, to say the least...
(I have more to say but I have to go...!)

Old 04-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #17
Acrobat

I expect the Québec Liberals (Jean Charest & co) to lose the following elections; the independantist Parti Québécois will win and probably do a third referendum...

Alfonso Gagliano is predicting the end of Canada. I won't go as far; I believe Canada will remain whole but this issue is far from being resolved.

The sponsorship scandal brought the worst in the Liberals. They have to understand that we Canadians do not accept this kind of behaviour (I know it is unfortunatly very common). But letting Harper move into 24 Sussex is definatly not the best way to do that.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:48 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:33 AM
i read in the paper yesterday that paul martin is trying to set up a meeting with jack layton to drum up some support from the NDP.

it seems that the NDP could be the big winners out of this mess--many disgruntled liberals won't vote for harper, so that doesn't leave much choice.

i don't know if this is how things will play out, but i would be happy to see it happen.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:26 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 12:33 AM
What Canada needs desperately is another party - the NDP, the Liberals and the Conservatives have been around far too long and are all way too comfortable. We need more Independent candidates that have NO ties to ANY party. As far as Bono bitching about Paul Martin - good for him!!! Martin should of done what he said he was going to do in the first place. It's not like Bono didn't warn him he would be a "Pain in the ass" if Martin didn't come through.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I'd never vote conservative, never, and im from ALBERTA!
but you're from edmonton, so that's not too surprising now is it?

though i do agree with you. what the PC's have done in this province has completely turned me off voting conservative anytime, anywhere.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:27 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 11:33 PM
See the thing is that paul martin isnt that 'great of a man' He's someone that still has his company registered offshore, which, until that ends, i'd never vote for him.

I am from Edmonton, and i know lots of people that are hard line conservative, and it makes me sick! how could a city like Edmonton produce any conservative when the majority of people that make good money (100K+) are working class! It really boggles my mind!

I'd neer vote liberal or conservative, either NDP or nothing!

They are the only party that are passionate about my values. The problem with the liberals is that they like the middle of the road and i hate that sort of politics! If your conservative then alright, i wont agree with you but those are your opinions! But dont vote for the liberals that couldnt give a fuck, they are middle of the road and tow the party line!

I'd vote for my rep. if he or she represented what i stand for, and usually its NDP.

I'm a union man through and through and believe in free secondary education, and lost cost living. If you meet those three concerns, especially the first one then you'll have my vote.

But if anyone is considering Pual Marin as a great man then your being close minded, i agree that Harper isnt any better, of not worse, but amrtin is no hero!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
And now every Conservatiuve will be screaming "even Bono is against him", just to add fuel to the fire. This is kind of where I widh bono would take time to do his homework...and pout his own remarks in context. Given the situation just now, those kind of remarks might better have been made in a private phone call. (see News thread.) He doesn't know what power he has. Becuase of him, Wolfowitz is coastng to the World Bank job, while his companion, John Boton, (who did NOT get on the phone with him), is getting grilled and his nomnation to the UN post delayed.

Damn it, he is so discreet about US elections.... why is he doing this now??? He is usuallu more clued in about this stuff.

I wonder if Bush secretly instigated this thing, just to get the Liberals out of power, just to make US drug companies happy...Harper, I sense, might be less sympaythetic to Americans buying cheap Candian prescription drugs. Among other issues. Heck, maybe Pfitzer is secretly funding this...

Bush would sell his Mama to keep the drug companies happy.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I'm a union man through and through and believe in free secondary education, and lost cost living. If you meet those three concerns, especially the first one then you'll have my vote.

But if anyone is considering Pual Marin as a great man then your being close minded, i agree that Harper isnt any better, of not worse, but amrtin is no hero!
bonoman. i'm from edmonton too, and a teacher, so i guess i'm *sort of* a union woman. obviously, issues concerning children and education, be it post-secondary or general, are close to my heart. ndp values do align closely with mine, but unfortunately their representation in alberta government essentially ensures that the voiceless people they stand for remain pretty much that: voiceless.

and don't get me wrong. i'm hardly endorsing paul martin or the liberals either, but he does seem the lesser of two evils, doesn't he? i mean this province is debt free, but that debt has been paid on the backs of the sick and the poor, AND the children in our education system. ralph klein has widened the divide between the haves and the have-nots in alberta and with stephen harper as prime minister, the PC's in this province will continue to do so, unabated.

ralph klein
stephen harper
conservatives
Old 05-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

conservatives
Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #26
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by lmjhitman

bonoman. i'm from edmonton too, and a teacher, so i guess i'm *sort of* a union woman. obviously, issues concerning children and education, be it post-secondary or general, are close to my heart. ndp values do align closely with mine, but unfortunately their representation in alberta government essentially ensures that the voiceless people they stand for remain pretty much that: voiceless.

and don't get me wrong. i'm hardly endorsing paul martin or the liberals either, but he does seem the lesser of two evils, doesn't he? i mean this province is debt free, but that debt has been paid on the backs of the sick and the poor, AND the children in our education system. ralph klein has widened the divide between the haves and the have-nots in alberta and with stephen harper as prime minister, the PC's in this province will continue to do so, unabated.

ralph klein
stephen harper
conservatives
Nice to see some NDPers!

How insane was it that most of the mainstream media echoed Harper's message-box that the Martin Libs had made a "pact with the Devil" with regard to the Liberal-NDP budget compromise?

Right, if helping students with post-secondary tuition, calling for more social housing and assisting the most downtrodden in society is Satanistic, well then sign me up...
Old 05-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:33 AM
how's this for an explosive and unexpected development at the eleventh hour?

Conservative Stronach joins Liberals

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...als050517.html

Quote:
OTTAWA - Belinda Stronach, the millionaire businesswoman who ran for the leadership of the Conservative party in early 2004, has crossed the floor to the Liberal party and will sit in Paul Martin's cabinet as minister of human resources and skills development.

She will also help the Liberals implement the recommendations in the Gomery report when it is delivered later this year, Martin said Tuesday morning.

Paul Martin welcomes Belinda Stronach into the Liberal Party.
"After difficult reflection, I reached a conclusion," Stronach told reporters in Ottawa. "I cannot exaggerate how hard this was for me, but the political crisis affecting Canada is too risky and dangerous for blind partisanship."

She also said Conservative Leader Stephen Harper is not sensitive to the needs of all parts of the country, and is jeopardizing national unity by allying himself to the Bloc Québécois.

"The country must come first," she said.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:33 AM

i was much relieved to hear this when i arrived at my office this morning. she has joined the party she belonged with to begin with.

her boyfriend (ex?) is likely unimpressed.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken
Alfonso Gagliano is predicting the end of Canada. I won't go as far; I believe Canada will remain whole but this issue is far from being resolved.
I don't know if Quebec's support for the Bloc necessarily translates into support for separatism. I think it translates more into Quebec's disgust with the Liberals currently and downright hatred of the Conservatives.

Anyway, calling it the "end of Canada" is a strong word, but I do think that, regardless, Canada has never been a very united country, merely because of Canada's large territory and fairly sparse population. Whereas the U.S. is "united" perhaps by our larger, more interconnected population, it always feels as if Canada is merely a confederation of vastly different and generally isolated cultures that rarely mix. Honestly, I question as to whether Canada can stay "united" forever anyway.

Melon
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Melon your dead right!

How the hell can you understand Canada so well? You should move your ass up here! You know more then most Canadians!

This country is extremely seperate. The West hates the East, the East hates the West and everyone hates Quebec and Quebec hates everyone else!

I was at work today and one of the truckers was helping me fix a load that fell in transit. He was a bit off his rocker, typical Alberta Redneck. The shipment was loaded in Montreal and the guy went nuts about how the liberals are evil and how he wants to start a Alberta miltia and how he would "love to grab 'Jean', tie a piece of wire around his neck, tie him to the back of his pick-up and go for a drive" This is the type of shit I've gotta deal with! The best part of the story was when i let him talk for about 15 minutes and then he asked me who i'd vote for in an election. I told him that i wouldnt vote Liberal, but that i wouldnt vote conservative, he looked at me funny then i said id have to vote NDP. I thought he was going to explode. He pretty much stopped talking to me and then left.

This country is in dire need of a Liberal leader from Western Canada. I know that sounds like 'poor old alberta us' talk but it is the only thing that would ever bring the two sides of the country together.

Also, an update on the confidence vote, Harper has said that he will support the budget but not the amendments from the NDP, which is bad news for us NDPers.

Also, Judah, was at an NDP candidate form on Saturday evening, my good friend is running in Edmonton Spruce Grove. I'm giving him a hand with his campaign (if there is one), he doesnt have a hope in hell in winning, but he's going againist Rona Ambrose and would love to get into a few debates with her!
Melon, if you were to cast a vote in Canada, who would it be for?