So, how much good did Live Aid actually do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Live Aid, not Live 8. I've heard many times that it was basically a waste of money because they threw money at the African leaders who spent it simply to empower themselves. I'm not too educated on this subject, but if someone who is could tell me how it really was it would be appreciated.

How many lives did we actually save?

I think there was a certain naivety back then that money was the answer. Also they realzed that the money they put towards the issue was only a small drop in the bucket.

Well, I'd like to say if it affected one person postively then it was a great success. Let's take the most obvious example, Bono. Bono went to Ethiopia with Alli and worked there teaching people valuable, life sustaining skills, and it didn't stop there, he's gone on to be a person to help bring about debt relief for countries, gotten wells built in his name, and made DATA and the ONE Campaign a huge success....I mean and that's one person...think about all the lives he's touched for this emergency...it's countless. The ripple effect is a huge factor here.

starsgoblue said:
Well, I'd like to say if it affected one person postively then it was a great success. Let's take the most obvious example, Bono. Bono went to Ethiopia with Alli and worked there teaching people valuable, life sustaining skills, and it didn't stop there, he's gone on to be a person to help bring about debt relief for countries, gotten wells built in his name, and made DATA and the ONE Campaign a huge success....I mean and that's one person...think about all the lives he's touched for this emergency...it's countless. The ripple effect is a huge factor here.

Very good point!

I know I've seen Bono asked this question in interviews and he always answers how back then, they thought all that money they raised was an amazing sum and were really pumped....until they realize that Africa pays more just on interest in a single year than that amount. So the money didn't really do anything, but read stars' post for a more encouraging answer!

If people can recite the reason for Live Aid, then it succeeded in raising awareness about something that is too easy to overlook.

Back
Top Bottom