So, how much good did Live Aid actually do? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:27 PM
So, how much good did Live Aid actually do?

Live Aid, not Live 8. I've heard many times that it was basically a waste of money because they threw money at the African leaders who spent it simply to empower themselves. I'm not too educated on this subject, but if someone who is could tell me how it really was it would be appreciated.

How many lives did we actually save?

Old 07-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
I think there was a certain naivety back then that money was the answer. Also they realzed that the money they put towards the issue was only a small drop in the bucket.

Old 07-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Well, I'd like to say if it affected one person postively then it was a great success. Let's take the most obvious example, Bono. Bono went to Ethiopia with Alli and worked there teaching people valuable, life sustaining skills, and it didn't stop there, he's gone on to be a person to help bring about debt relief for countries, gotten wells built in his name, and made DATA and the ONE Campaign a huge success....I mean and that's one person...think about all the lives he's touched for this emergency...it's countless. The ripple effect is a huge factor here.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by starsgoblue
Well, I'd like to say if it affected one person postively then it was a great success. Let's take the most obvious example, Bono. Bono went to Ethiopia with Alli and worked there teaching people valuable, life sustaining skills, and it didn't stop there, he's gone on to be a person to help bring about debt relief for countries, gotten wells built in his name, and made DATA and the ONE Campaign a huge success....I mean and that's one person...think about all the lives he's touched for this emergency...it's countless. The ripple effect is a huge factor here.
Very good point!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
I know I've seen Bono asked this question in interviews and he always answers how back then, they thought all that money they raised was an amazing sum and were really pumped....until they realize that Africa pays more just on interest in a single year than that amount. So the money didn't really do anything, but read stars' post for a more encouraging answer!
Old 07-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 AM
If people can recite the reason for Live Aid, then it succeeded in raising awareness about something that is too easy to overlook.