Snitches get stitches! Yo! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Snitches get stitches! Yo!

Dumb ass or a just plain evil ass dude?
Quote:

(CBS) Rap star Cam'ron says there's no situation — including a serial killer living next door — that would cause him to help police in any way, because to do so would hurt his music sales and violate his "code of ethics."

Cam'ron, whose real name is Cameron Giles, talks to Anderson Cooper for a report on how the hip-hop culture's message to shun the police has undermined efforts to solve murders across the country.

Cooper's report will be broadcast on 60 Minutes this Sunday, April 22, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me?" Giles responds to a hypothetical question posed by Cooper. "I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him — but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.' "

Giles' "code of ethics" also extends to crimes committed against him. After being shot and wounded by gunmen, Giles refused to cooperate with police. Why?

"Because … it would definitely hurt my business, and the way I was raised, I just don't do that," says Giles.

Pressed by Cooper, who says had he been the victim, he would want his attacker to be caught, Giles explains further: "But then again, you're not going to be on the stage tonight in the middle of, say, Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, with people with gold and platinum teeth and dreadlocks jumping up and down singing your songs, either. We're in two different lines of business."

"So for you, it's really about business?" Cooper asks.

"It's about business," Giles says, "but it's still also a code of ethics."

Rappers appear to be concerned about damaging what's known as their "street credibility," says Geoffrey Canada, an anti-violence advocate and educator from New York City's Harlem neighborhood.

"It's one of those things that sells music and no one really quite understands why," says Canada. Their fans look up to artists if they come from the "meanest streets of the urban ghetto," he tells Cooper. For that reason, Canada says, they do not cooperate with the police.

Canada says in the poor New York City neighborhood he grew up in, only the criminals didn't talk to the police, but within today's hip-hop culture, that has changed. "It is now a cultural norm that is being preached in poor communities … It's like you can't be a black person if you have a set of values that say 'I will not watch a crime happen in my community without getting involved to stop it,' " Canada tells Cooper.

Young people from some of New York's toughest neighborhoods echo Canada's assessment, calling the message not to help police "the rules" and helping the police "a crime" in their neighborhoods.

These "rules" are contributing to a much lower percentage of arrests in homicide cases — a statistic known as the "clearance rate" — in largely poor, minority neighborhoods throughout the country, according to professor David Kennedy of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice.

"I work in communities where the clearance rate for homicides has gone into the single digits," says Kennedy. The national rate for homicide clearance is about 60 percent. "In these neighborhoods, we are on the verge of — or maybe we have already lost — the rule of law," he tells Cooper.

Says Canada: "It's like we're saying to the criminals, 'You can have our community … Do anything you want and we will either deal with it ourselves or we'll simply ignore it.'"

Produced By Andy Court and Keith Sharman
© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Maybe there will be some uproar about this or maybe his record sales could go through the roof!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:37 PM
It's just ignorance. A warped sense of code, kinda sad.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

it's sad, pathetic and only goes to further stereotypes against the black community...

and it's what sells.

sad sad sad
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Al Sharpton should be debating issues like this within the black community. that, however, doesn't make front page news, so oh well.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^ What they both said.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:37 PM
You see the same lack of cooperation with police among many non-black communities, but hey, rapper-bashing sells.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
Al Sharpton should be debating issues like this within the black community. that, however, doesn't make front page news, so oh well.
Spot on.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Pretty sure Al's a grown man, and should debate whatever he sees fit. Emancipation happened.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Spot on.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #10
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Rappers appear to be concerned about damaging what's known as their "street credibility," says Geoffrey Canada, an anti-violence advocate and educator from New York City's Harlem neighborhood.
What's really sad is that Cooper is giving more time to people like Cam'ron than people like Geoff Canada, whose Harlem Children's Zone centers have enabled thousands of kids from some of the poorest and highest-crime neighborhoods in NYC to finish school and move on to a better future. If it's true that there are too many Cam'rons to go around and not enough Geoff Canadas, it's also true that it's too easy to waste time clucking about the former rather than supporting and learning from the latter. People are only paying Cam'ron to entertain them anyhow and he manages that feat well enough. As for distrust of the police and valorization of the "strong" silent approach that leads to, that's a much, much bigger issue than just rap stars.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-21-2007, 09:00 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by UberBeaver
Why should Al Sharpton be responsible for debating any particular issues in "the black community"? Let me ask you this: what are the issues of the "white community" and who should be at the forefront of debating those issues? Would that be George W. Bush or Ted Kennedy? Who are the "spokespeople" for YOUR community?

Cam'ron is a despicable opportunist cynically making money off his shocking statements (or hoping to make money, after all he's not that big a star--I'd never even heard of him until today). In that respect he, and say, someone like Ann Coulter aren't much different.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #12
New Yorker

I think Cam'ron is actually relatively popular and he's popular to an audience that doesn't need that kind of philosophy, entrenched in their heads- young black men.

Wonder what Anderson Cooper was thinking when he heard Cam'ron spouting off.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
You see the same lack of cooperation with police among many non-black communities, but hey, rapper-bashing sells.

What communities? Are you a Cam'ron fan?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Flying FuManchu
I think Cam'ron is actually relatively popular and he's popular to an audience that doesn't need that kind of philosophy, entrenched in their heads- young black men.
Do you really think he or any other rapper singlehandedly "entrenches" that sort of attitude towards the police in people who before listening to his music felt a high degree of trust in them?
Quote:
Wonder what Anderson Cooper was thinking when he heard Cam'ron spouting off.
How great the titillating shock factor of having Social Pathology Incarnate appear on his show would be for ratings, most likely. What audience is Cooper popular with?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-22-2007, 07:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I just watched this, man, that's fucked up.

Although, the snitch credo is not exclusive to rap music or black youth. I remember kids in school getting in trouble along with troublemakers for ratting out a misbehaving classmate. The teacher asks who threw that pencil which hit a classmate in the eye, no one says a word and no one comes forward afterwards either. People are always saying " no one likes a rat". We have legislation now for people who come forward with the truth for whistleblowers. Telling the truth needs legal protection in our society, wtf?!?. Big businesses and governments have this no snitching code too. Sad sad sad.

This is not just a Camron thing, it's pervasive throughout our society. Doing the right thing gets a person a medal these days when it should be the norm.