Snitches get stitches! Yo!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yolland said:

Can you say this about those organizations, though?

i don't disagree with the point about homicides, and for what it's worth i've overheard such attitudes in my neighborhood, but my comment was more about the pathologizing of "ghetto mentalities" when they are every bit as prevelant in the corporate world, or the religious world. in fact, the overall attitude of the corporate world is contemptuous of the law itself, not just of those who are asked to enforce the law.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes and you are still wrong.

No I am not. Rap is the same music that got Imus in trouble, and the black community is trying to get rid of, yet Snoop promotes.

Irvine511 said:
my comment was more about the pathologizing of "ghetto mentalities" when they are every bit as prevelant in the corporate world, or the religious world. in fact, the overall attitude of the corporate world is contemptuous of the law itself, not just of those who are asked to enforce the law.
Oh, I agree, and I suspect doing the easy thing and "pathologizing" it is precisely what all this focus on Cam'ron is all about. But they are very different kinds of problems and the temptations for misattributing their causes are different.

Justin24 said:

No I am not. Rap is the same music that got Imus in trouble, and the black community is trying to get rid of, yet Snoop promotes.

Imus got Imus in trouble. Don't try and make him the victim. Maybe you are just listening to the wrong rap.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Imus got Imus in trouble. Don't try and make him the victim. Maybe you are just listening to the wrong rap.

Well then please tell me where I can find some good rap................................................................................ I hope you can sort out the two.

Justin24 said:

Well then please tell me where I can find some good rap................................................................................ I hope you can sort out the two.

Public Enemy

CTU2fan said:

Public Enemy

i was going to list them

along with arrested development

but, what determines the rap artists' material?

who buys it?

at one time we had mc hammer "you can't touch this"

why aren't public enemy and arrested development still at the top of the charts

i don't think gang - bangers are the ones that buy the over-whelming majority of the gangster music

Justin24 said:

:lol:

Justin. . .how did rap music get Imus in trouble? Did rappers invent the word "ho"? And I can assure you that there "nappy-headed" is not a commonly used phrase in rap. And neither is "jigaboo". . .

And there it is "the black community" again. . .We black folks are not all thinking in lockstep you know. . .

Why don't you read Yolland's posts on this thread. She's got some really good points you should consider!

Justin24 said:
More proof that rap music does nothing

Hip-hop's Simmons wants to remove offensive words

By Daniel TrottaMon Apr 23, 2:27 PM ET

Prominent U.S. hip-hop executive Russell Simmons on Monday recommended eliminating the words "bitch," "ho" and "******" from the recording industry, considering them "extreme curse words."

The call comes less than two weeks after radio personality Don Imus' nationally syndicated and televised radio show was canceled amid public outcry over Imus calling a women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos."

Simmons, co-founder of the Def Jam label and a driving force behind hip-hop's huge commercial success, called for voluntary restrictions on the words and setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

"We recommend that the recording and broadcast industries voluntarily remove/bleep/delete the misogynistic words 'bitch' and 'ho' and the racially offensive word '******'," Simmons and Benjamin Chavis, co-chairmen of the advocacy group Hip-Hop Summit Action Network, said in a statement.

"These three words should be considered with the same objections to obscenity as 'extreme curse words'," it said.

Ho is slang for whore and commonly used in hip-hop music while ******, a derogatory term for blacks, is among the most highly charged insults in American culture. The slur "nappy," used by Imus, describes the tightly curled hair of many African Americans.

CHANGING STANCE

Monday's statement changed course from another one by Simmons and Chavis dated April 13, a day after Imus' show was canceled, in which they said offensive references in hip-hop "may be uncomfortable for some to hear, but our job is not to silence or censor that expression."

The Imus controversy stoked a debate in the United States about how to deal with inflammatory words that are widely considered highly offensive but at the same time commonly and casually used in youth culture.

U.S. black leaders such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have led the charge to suppress offensive words while many artists have argued for freedom of expression. New York City declared a symbolic moratorium on the so-called N-word in February.

"Our internal discussions with industry leaders are not about censorship. Our discussions are about the corporate social responsibility of the industry to voluntarily show respect to African Americans and other people of color, African American women and to all women in lyrics and images," the statement from Simmons and Chavis said on Monday.

The network recommended the formation of a Coalition on Broadcast Standards that would consist of leading executives from music, radio and television.

tmz.com

Cam'ron is apologizing for his comments on Sunday's "60 Minutes," where he told Anderson Cooper that he wouldn't turn in a serial killer if he were living next door to one. Good thing he doesn't host a radio show.

As part of a story about snitching, Cam'ron said, "If I knew the serial killer was living next door to me? I wouldn't call and tell anybody on him -- but I'd probably move. But I'm not going to call and be like, 'The serial killer's in 4E.'" Word?

In a statement, Cam'ron tried to explain what he said, "Where I come from, once word gets out that you've cooperated with the police that only makes you a bigger target of criminal violence. That is a dark reality in so many neighborhoods like mine across America. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality."

Cam'ron went on -- "Looking back now, I can see how those comments could be viewed as offensive, especially to those who have suffered their own personal tragedies or to those who put their lives on the line to protect our citizens from crime," the rap star said in a statement issued today. "Please understand that I was expressing my own personal frustration at my own personal circumstances. I in no way was intending to be malicious or harmful. I apologize deeply for this error in judgment."

I see Cam's hired a publicist...what a punk. If you're anti-snitch, you're anti-snitch. Have the guts to stand behind your statements, not hide from them. I hate phony apologies.

Back
Top Bottom