Smilies and Apologies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
i have been gone from my computer for the past few days...a forced interruption, but that is not my point...

I USED THE WRONG SMILIE ON THE "BURN CARE" THREAD...I MEANT IT TO BE A "SCREAM" I AM SORRY THIS THREW EVERYBODY AND MADE IT SEEM I WAS TOTALLY BORED WITH THE DISASTER...can you give me the benefit of the doubt and think maybe i made a little mistake, it really is hard for me to deal with all the different emotions...and put them in the right place at the right time! So, please forgive me for seeming so callous, i meant the OPPOSITE!

really, with my life in quite disarray right now, it's been difficult for me to say everything in the most gentle way...

in sum, I am sorry:( ("a liar won't believe another person" eh?)

(i am also sorry i did not cite the real author of that quote above)

So.. just checking, did you mean to post an angry face on your christian thread?

Sicy said:
So.. just checking, did you mean to post an angry face on your christian thread?

yes, that was the best i could do. There is a lot to discuss about the earlier subject, but because no one really cared, the thread just got locked. The "angry" smilie means, in my interpretation, that i am angry to have to go and dig up a real link...other people here are much better at finding relevant articles and such. There is TONS on D. Hunt and the End Times.

Pardon my self-righteousness, because really that is all it is, but hey, am i "buggin' ya?" cause maybe, you should really be "bugged." :shrug: or maybe, my ideas are disregarded because i'm crossing a few too many boundaries here...i do apologize for that! But, I really wanted to turn some people on to a good read...also conceited, i suppose. ah well, just "out in the summer rain" that's my best excuse...i'll try to calm down now...all respect to Sicy and mods who are doing very well monitoring some heated issues...:yes:

there's a difference in being bugged and being offended. you have offended most people including myself in this forum with your threads lately, especially with the racist topics you seem to have a fondness for posting recently. you remind me of my exhusband. im glad i divorced him.

icelle said:
there's a difference in being bugged and being offended. you have offended most people including myself in this forum with your threads lately, especially with the racist topics you seem to have a fondness for posting recently. you remind me of my exhusband. im glad i divorced him.

ok, then it's just me in the dark. What is the difference between "being bugged" and "being offended."

Is it that what I am saying is attacking you personally? I don't mean to confront anyone on a personal level, unless I mention their name, I'm trying to tone my arguments for general reading.

Maybe I am being too "forensic" and going for the jugular...again, that is just a metaphor and I don't INTEND to harm anyone, least of which intelligent people who like to discuss interesting topics...seems whenever I hit on a topic (like about coltan and Africa) I get ACCUSED of being OFFENSIVE...yet no one plays DEFENSIVE, maybe these two attitudes are passe...you got me, I'm just stating what's on my mind, i'm sure it's too abrasive for some folk...just let me know, i'll back off again...:silent:

daisybean said:

Being bugged is reading a post that you disagree with, but you get over it.

Being offended is reading posts that include slurs toward: Blacks, Jews, Middle Easterners, Irish, etc...

yeah, that.

DebbieSG said:

ok, then it's just me in the dark. What is the difference between "being bugged" and "being offended."

Well IMHO, if you're just "bugged" by something then it means you're annoyed because you disagree with something, or you're tired of hearing about something.

On the other hand, you're "offended" by posts which contain offensive statements about certain people, such as Black people, people of a particular religion, women, lesbian gay or bisexual people, or any other group.

Like with all the threads about Iraq. I feel "bugged" by some of the suggestions that it doesn't matter what the UN says, because I think it does matter. However, I still think people who say that have a right to express their opinion - I just don't agree with them. However, if someone were to suggest it doesn't matter if hundreds of thousands of Iraqi people die because "they're just Muslims" or "they're just Arabs" then I'd be hugely offended, and I don't think a person has the right to express such opinions here.

But at the end of the day, why is it a good thing to upset someone, whether you're "bugging" them or "offending" them? :(

This was kind of you to post this Debbie.
I dont want to close another thread, so I'll leave this for now (its not FYM related technically Debbie but I get what you're saying), perhaps we can all just accept it as is, and continue on.

:)

Back
Top Bottom