SMELL OF BLOOD IN THE AIR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
block you have become what you say you deteste. as an outsider to this, you look foolish.

as an added bonus, i will do everything in my power to ban you from interference and all of its functions.

------------------
-death bear

Originally posted by bonovista:
BLOCK is the perfect person to use as a poster child for anti-drug use. See what happens?? Geesh..

P.S. Not saying ALL drug users act this way, but obviously his brain took one hell of a whipping.

Agreed. The prosecution rests!

For once, I must agree Block went too far. The problem is that it doesn't seem that nobody want to understand, they just want to make their point.

As for the main point, it's the same thing. And if the Americans are over-patriotic and it's Great Britain who invented it, maybe it's time to reinvent. Doubt, even in ourselves, is good. Why does nobody doubt of what they are thinking? Where's the point of being the best, when there is no one to beat? I mean, like I said before, I think we would win a lot more by working together, as humans, instead of dividing, as Americans and Talibans and shit... The white flag, that's what it means. No colors. We're all the same.

Originally posted by soul service:
For once, I must agree Block went too far. The problem is that it doesn't seem that nobody want to understand, they just want to make their point.

As for the main point, it's the same thing. And if the Americans are over-patriotic and it's Great Britain who invented it, maybe it's time to reinvent. Doubt, even in ourselves, is good. Why does nobody doubt of what they are thinking? Where's the point of being the best, when there is no one to beat? I mean, like I said before, I think we would win a lot more by working together, as humans, instead of dividing, as Americans and Talibans and shit... The white flag, that's what it means. No colors. We're all the same.

Amen! but I still support BLOCK

Have either of you posted an alternative to war? Have you taken notice that:

1) the U.S. was attacked first by terrorists, resulting in nearly 6,000 dead, billions in property damage, and much more in long-term economic damage?

2) that the Taliban willingly chose to harbor foreign terrorists and terrorist organizations, even after we gave them weeks to surrender these terrorists and their camps?

3) that Al-Qaeda attacked us not once (WTC in 1993), not twice (U.S. embassy bombings in 1996), not thrice (U.S. military ship off of Yemen), but four times (September 11th)? As much as I abhor war, and, admittedly, I could never fight in one, is there really an alternative? If the U.S. does not act, do you really think the terrorism is going to stop?

But I know what would happen if, let's say, Canada, Europe, or Australia were being repeatedly attacked by terrorists. You'd expect the U.S. to come in to save your ass.

Trust me. I'm quite critical of government, especially in ones run by Republicans, but there is a basic goodness to Americans, and, like any nation, we should be guaranteed reasonable security.

We allowed bin Laden to attack us on three previous occasions without going after him. We gave the Taliban weeks to hand over bin Laden, but, in the style of Jerry Falwell, they tried to play the victim, and also repeatedly lied about knowing his whereabouts. I think that's it's suffice to say we didn't go hastily into this.

Of course, what I fear is that, like the Gulf War, we are being lied to about specifics through our media, merely so the U.S. can be painted in a perfect light--only to find out the truth 10 years after the fact. I also fear that Bush will exploit this opportunity to permanently take away many of our freedoms, particularly when it comes to privacy issues. Regardless, it is clear that something has to be done to rid this world of terrorists and terrorist organizations. Sitting on our hands will do nothing.

It is my hope that war is only the first step, only to be followed up by properly rebuilding this nation (and potentially other nations) the U.S. attacks. We should have learned our lesson from the last world wars. By leaving the world in a mess after World War I, the Allies only caused the strife that led up to World War II, an even larger and more serious conflict. However, after World War II, by rebuilding Germany and Japan properly, we not only diffused the threat once and for all, but we brought an unprecedented peace to the Western world. Likewise, in rebuilding these desperate, destitute, and chaotic nations, we have an opportunity to not only to diffuse the threat, but to finally bring stability to nations terrorized by oppressive and unstable governments. If the U.S. simply blows up nations and then leaves once their objectives are complete, it will only serve to create further and more severe tensions--like the end of World War I and the half-assed Gulf War. All I have to say is that Bush II had better not fuck things up further like Bush I.

And that's all I really have to say regarding this topic.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Melon you have several good points. But you speak of the taliban as if they were animals (which they most definetly are), do you sugest that The Us sink to the level of the perperators themsleves? I'm glad the US attacked I just wish there was an other way to do it, so that innoncent Afghans dont get killed. I find it disturbing that people around me treat the civilians as if they were the scum of the earth. If the only option is to fight then so be it, would it now be possible to send in special forces utilizing snipers perharps? that way the only deaths would be militants.

[This message has been edited by Gcat (edited 10-25-2001).]

Well, that, of course, is a valid concern regarding the status of the civilian population. However, as sad as this is to say, Afghanistan has been labelled on the list of "dying nations" for years. Innocent Afghans have been being slaughtered, oppressed, and maimed by their own nation for well near two decades now. If anything, this might be the liberation the innocent Afghans have been looking for all along. This, of course, assumes that the U.S. doesn't leave the nation in chaos after accomplishing their aims.

As it stands, though, it is mostly military targets being attacked. I really hope you aren't listening to Taliban reports, because they are incredibly unreliable and they are using this war as a propaganda tool. You heard how they flip-flopped on their stories regarding the whereabouts of bin Laden following Sept. 11th. How can you trust their reports now? As it stands, the U.S. is targeting strategic positions: military targets and Taliban government strongholds. Any civilian tragedies are unfortunate accidents, but, in the long run, I believe that more Afghans can be saved, assuming that a stable and humanitarian government is installed after the Taliban is defeated. As it stood, the Taliban were not defending their civilian population, and were only using them as tools.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by Gcat:
Melon you have several good points. But you speak of the taliban as if they were animals (which they most definetly are), [This message has been edited by Gcat (edited 10-25-2001).]

The Taliban are NOT animals. Animals are far and away superior to anyone who has anything to do with those walking pieces of shit. Animals attack only in order to survive and to protect their loved ones. The taliban are not even equal to a maggot.
mad.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

It's the damndest thing... Every time I visit Canada I am struck by how friendly, thoughtful and self-deprecating the Canadian people are. And yet, every time I encounter a self-professed Canadian on the internet I end up gritting my teeth at their rudeness and arrogance. The internet has turned friendly Canadians into the ultimate "rude American" cliche.

How sad.
MAP

Originally posted by melon:
Have either of you posted an alternative to war? Have you taken notice that:

1) the U.S. was attacked first by terrorists, resulting in nearly 6,000 dead, billions in property damage, and much more in long-term economic damage?

2) that the Taliban willingly chose to harbor foreign terrorists and terrorist organizations, even after we gave them weeks to surrender these terrorists and their camps?

3) that Al-Qaeda attacked us not once (WTC in 1993), not twice (U.S. embassy bombings in 1996), not thrice (U.S. military ship off of Yemen), but four times (September 11th)? As much as I abhor war, and, admittedly, I could never fight in one, is there really an alternative? If the U.S. does not act, do you really think the terrorism is going to stop?

But I know what would happen if, let's say, Canada, Europe, or Australia were being repeatedly attacked by terrorists. You'd expect the U.S. to come in to save your ass.

Good stuff, Melon. My apologies if I misunderstood your position on this in the past.

------------------
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to just tell them to fuck off. I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen.

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
It's the damndest thing... Every time I visit Canada I am struck by how friendly, thoughtful and self-deprecating the Canadian people are. And yet, every time I encounter a self-professed Canadian on the internet I end up gritting my teeth at their rudeness and arrogance. The internet has turned friendly Canadians into the ultimate "rude American" cliche.

How sad.
MAP

that's because on the internet it's less confentational so we feel we can do it. (and plus..canadians don't get even..we write a letter to the editor..haha)

------------------
PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom