Slaughter in the Jungle - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Slaughter in the Jungle

This cover story of this weeks Newsweek is very heart breaking. The story proceeds to tell of the mass killings of silver back gorillas. Some of them were killed execution style.

This made me well up when I saw while I was grocery shopping and I haven't been able to think of anything else today.

Please be aware that the photos are graphic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20012317...wsweek/page/0/

Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: At Tim Horton's with Kristen and Val talking about Tan Adam and fashion disasters.
Oh my God, so sad!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

its just horrible and sensless.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

People can be very cruel.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Whats cool is that gorillas being slaughtered gets more sympathy and attention than human beings, of course there are more of us so maybe were cheaper.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

What I don't understand is that these poor innocents didn't fight back or attack.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Whats cool is that gorillas being slaughtered gets more sympathy and attention than human beings, of course there are more of us so maybe were cheaper.
I never understand it when people say things like this. Whenever anyone talks about animal cruelty there are always people around like you who say something like "there are people suffering so why do animals who suffer get attention?" So are you saying that until all human suffering the world is over nobody should talk about animal suffering?

By the way, I completely disagree with your statement that "gorillas being slaughtered gets more sympathy and attention than human beings." I think this is the first gorilla cruelty thread that I've seen and I have seen many human cruelty threads. So your argument has no basis.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

I agree.

Human life seems to very cheap today.

People are being slaughtered in Africa daily yet this human suffering gets very little, if any media attention in the West.

We are more concerned that the ice caps might be melting because we're driving a SUV or that a whale is stuck in San Fransico Bay.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

People are being slaughtered in Africa daily yet this human suffering gets very little, if any media attention in the West.
Maybe you should reconsider your news sources.

Quote:

We are more concerned that the ice caps might be melting because we're driving a SUV or that a whale is stuck in San Fransico Bay.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Why can't cruelty to animals AND humans be on equal grounds??

I mean don't psychologists usually consider animal abuse/cruelty as "red flags" for potential behavior against people and suggest mental problems?

And not for nothing, most animals that are abused are animals that have been brought into someone's house and care. I will never understand why anyone would voluntarilly bring a dog or something into thier own home...only to starve or beat it.

It's not a question of what is more reprehensible...they both are.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I agree.

Human life seems to very cheap today.

BTW: I brought this to attention because I thought it was the most sensless item I have read in along time.

Plus there are more than one cause in this world. I am tending to both.

No one is right or wrong. There's a cause for everyone.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 08:50 AM
Maybe people are sometimes moved to publicize the plight of animals (knowing full well that they will be subjected to the same tired and hypocritiical arguments) because unlike even the most downtrodden or oppressed human beings, animals really ARE totally helpless. They really cannot fight back, not unless its a one on one situation where one human is attacking one animal, then they can attempt a defense with tooth and claw. Assuming the man is not after them with a gun of course. When it comes down to brass tacks, we really do hold the power or life and death over our fellow creatures. They have absolutely no say in the matter, or any potential power. They continue to exist because we give them permission to do so,.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040
Maybe people are sometimes moved to publicize the plight of animals (knowing full well that they will be subjected to the same tired and hypocritiical arguments) because unlike even the most downtrodden or oppressed human beings, animals really ARE totally helpless. They really cannot fight back, not unless its a one on one situation where one human is attacking one animal, then they can attempt a defense with tooth and claw. Assuming the man is not after them with a gun of course. When it comes down to brass tacks, we really do hold the power or life and death over our fellow creatures. They have absolutely no say in the matter, or any potential power. They continue to exist because we give them permission to do so,.
I agree with you 100%.

What bothers me is that it is a criminal act to kill endangered animals while killing, and even cruelly killing, un-endangered animals goes without even a fine at times. People go as far as criminally prosecuting the murder of endangered species so that the earth doesn't lose that species, but at the same time these people don't care if individual creatures within un-endangered species are tortured or murdered.

Its like saying that its okay to torture or murder animals as long as their species is not endangered. A few posters said that humans are cheap to people. But animals are not protected against cruelty or murder because there are not endangered shows that these people see these animals as cheap. Very hypocritical if you ask me.

And by the way, I do NOT think that human life is cheap. There are tons and tons of issues out there to argue for or against. Just because I am arguing for animal rights doesn't mean I think cruelty towards humans is okay.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If by hitting a monkey in the head with a hammer I could save a human life. I would do it.

~a paraphase of something I heard Ted Nugent say on a talk show several years ago when confronted with animal rights activists.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Killing monkeys to save humans is a worthwhile excercise, how much has that sacrifice done for the cause of medical science - although killing a Gorilla for food, meh, too gamey.