Skin Cancer Triples In Women Under 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
financeguy said:
It's funny but in the Victorian era they viewed pale porcelain skin as a sign of good breeding and a tan as a sign of being 'lower class'.

this is because poor people worked outside and had tan, leathery skin from so much sun exposure. it's simply classism -- just how being ultra-thin today is considered beautiful. in general, or at least in the West, and certainly in the US, the poorer the community the more obese the population (on the whole). you'll never see an ounce of body fat on the Upper East Side or West Hollywood.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I've had to find a happy medium. I'm not that pale naturally and I spend a LOT of time out in the sun in the summer, basically all weekend long and then for two weeks straight on a family vacation. To slather myself w/ SPF50 everyday would be dangerous b/c you know that ONE time I'd forget and be in the sun for 1/2 hour I'd burn to a lobster red. However, I ALWAYS have SPF 45 on my face and ears since those parts are always in the sun. I try to get a bit of a tan at the beginning of the summer, just by reading outside for a while. I've never, ever gone tanning at a tanning place. I also watch my moles very closely, as does my Dr. (anytime I go in for anything, he will ask to see my moles). I feel like for me, it's more dangerous to try to stay pasty white b/c I spend two solid weeks swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing in direct sunlight, but I can tell when I'm starting to burn or bake and always have suncreen and a big T-shirt handy.

Sunburn is not paramount to skin cancer. Neither is cloud, or natural skin colour, or how frequently you spend time out in the sun. I hope you understand that your beliefs of what is dangerous is slightly off kilter. What is dangerous is your risk of exposure to UV rays.

Slip, Slop, Slap, America. It's a better alternative to freezing off your moles or changing your lifestyle.
:(

Angela Harlem said:

Sunburn is not paramount to skin cancer. Neither is cloud, or natural skin colour, or how frequently you spend time out in the sun. I hope you understand that your beliefs of what is dangerous is slightly off kilter. What is dangerous is your risk of exposure to UV rays.

I do wear sunscreen, just not SPF 50. I've read that anything less than 15 doesn't really help, so I have 15 and 30 and then some 45 for my ears. I also buy swim suits that keep my big mole covered. My grandma has terrible skin cancer on her face, which is literally peeling off, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! I just feel like you don't have to live in fear of having fun outdoors; you CAN stay safe and healthy and not have to hide inside all day. People have been living under the sun for ages, there has to be some happy medium. Also, here in Michigan where we have an 8 month winter (and the month of December averages TWO days of sun), we have higher rates of health problems due to a lack of the vitamin you get from mild sun exposure (can't remember which one...B?..D?) than places that have warmer climates. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Around here, you're more likely to get a bad burn from the sun skiing in the winter!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Around here, you're more likely to get a bad burn from the sun skiing in the winter!

Most of that is actually windburn, although it's just as painful.

Ah, ok. I must have misread then, sorry! I thought you had said you prefer to get acclimatised to the sun incase you do forget, and thus forgo the sunscreen when on holidays or about to spend a while outside. Not in those words of course.
I live in an opposite climate. I think skin cancer is one of our 3 biggest killers. We get 3 months of cold a year. :lol:

Tanning is a bit shit, IMO..I'm always being told I should "get more sun" etc but I'm happy being pale and issues like skin cancer make me even less inclined to bake in the sun for hours.

Angela Harlem said:
Ah, ok. I must have misread then, sorry! I thought you had said you prefer to get acclimatised to the sun incase you do forget, and thus forgo the sunscreen when on holidays or about to spend a while outside. Not in those words of course.
I live in an opposite climate. I think skin cancer is one of our 3 biggest killers. We get 3 months of cold a year. :lol:

Well, it's both, b/c even If I'm wearing SPF 30 the entire summer, I'm still in the sun enough to get tan. So yeah, if I DID forget to cover for a day, I wouldn't burn. Basically, I'm saying I don't think people should fear the sun, you just have to know how to protect yourself. I know people who never spend more than 5 minutes outside the entire summer, or women who won't let their kids play outside b/c they're so freaked. IMO, I think it's just as dangerous to encourage kids to sit around inside all day, eating junk and playing video games.

Sunburn.jpg

Yep, this is a great look! No sunscreen but hey, a nice healthy brown. Yep! Lovely, looks about 90 is probably about 50ish. Tragic really.

Slip, slop, slap. This is preventable and will save us all a lot of money if we stop trying to look like her.:huh:

My grandma is 80-something, already has skin cancer, and also has terribly thin, wrinkley, frail skin from all the steriods and meds she's on for rheumatoid arthritis, and she STILL looks better than that!

*looking at that pic* :ohmy:

I live in south america, so I'm more exposed to the sun radiation. Although I live in Bogotá (a cold place... trust me), and my skin is dark I wear sunscreen and SPF 45 everyday, even when is a cloudy day (something good I learnt from my Goth period). I try not to get too tanned when I go to the beach either.

I still have no idea why women (and some men) obsess over the color of their skin. Its absurd. Television is inundated with beauty ads ad nauseam...

I mean come on...spray on orange glow tan...not sexy..not hot...

even less hot- wrinkly skin and an antisocial butterfly known as melanoma. He's not afraid to slum.

I for one think "porcelain" women *cough nicole kidman cough* are unbelievably sexy.

The sun is a big ball of radiation...no one likes to get radiation sickness from a nuclear bomb...why would you want to get it from the sun just to please your boyfriend or girlfriend?

Back
Top Bottom