Skin Cancer Triples In Women Under 40 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2005, 09:59 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 PM
It's funny but in the Victorian era they viewed pale porcelain skin as a sign of good breeding and a tan as a sign of being 'lower class'.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:17 PM
I am afraid I am another pale skinned girl too. I burn really easily and never wear anything less than factor 25 if it is sunny.

It doesn't surprise me that skin cancer is on the increase though. Loads of my friends regularly go on sunbeds. I can not understand why people go on them - apart from the fact they increase your risk of getting skin cancer you eventally get wrinkles and that is not good either.

This is one instance when faking it (with fake tan) is better!

Old 08-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Interesting!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:17 AM
I'm as white as white gets and I'm absolutely obsessive about sunscreen.

What I hate is when I go off on vacation and get back and people say "you didn't even get a tan! don't you like being outside?"

STFU.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
people say "you didn't even get a tan! don't you like being outside?"
I get that too, also the Casper stuff

It's weird that some people act like a tan is some sort of accomplishment and/or goal

I've tried so many self-tanners and that new self tanning moisturizer, I guess I'm just too lazy and unconcerned about it to put the required effort into it. It does make your legs look better in the summer and gives you the illusion of being thinner. It hides unsightly stuff too
Old 08-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 08:17 AM
I was dx'ed with melanoma last year. I had major surgery to remove it and have a huge scar on my thigh to remember it by. It did not spread to my organs, thank God. Recurrence chances are fairly low (10-20%) if they don't spread to other organs or lymph nodes.

Please, please people, stay out of the sun, especially if you are fair skinned. Wear sunscreen and hats.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:09 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I've had to find a happy medium. I'm not that pale naturally and I spend a LOT of time out in the sun in the summer, basically all weekend long and then for two weeks straight on a family vacation. To slather myself w/ SPF50 everyday would be dangerous b/c you know that ONE time I'd forget and be in the sun for 1/2 hour I'd burn to a lobster red. However, I ALWAYS have SPF 45 on my face and ears since those parts are always in the sun. I try to get a bit of a tan at the beginning of the summer, just by reading outside for a while. I've never, ever gone tanning at a tanning place. I also watch my moles very closely, as does my Dr. (anytime I go in for anything, he will ask to see my moles). I feel like for me, it's more dangerous to try to stay pasty white b/c I spend two solid weeks swimming, canoeing, kayaking, and fishing in direct sunlight, but I can tell when I'm starting to burn or bake and always have suncreen and a big T-shirt handy.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:32 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:17 PM
another pale, pasty sunscreen addict here.

my parents still give me crap about not getting enough sun/colour, even with all the warnings about melanoma out there. i don't know why people haven't figured out that that healthy glow is really an unhealthy glow.

favourite nickname: elvira
Old 08-29-2005, 02:56 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

as someone who gets lightly tan in the summer, wears sunscreen when going to the beach (but not walking around on a saturday), has somewhat of a pasty ethnicity (irish and swedish) and spends the other 8 months of the year under clothes, i'm more concerned about the radiation from my cell phone and the terrible air i breath every day (all that exhaust from those evil, evil SUVs) in the city than i am about skin cancer.

that said, i'd never, ever sit on a tanning bed.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah I have fair skin too. Not really that much of an outdoors person but I do enjoy cycling. Sun isn't as strong over here luckily - but yes, people with fair skin should take the precautions.

Hmmm, a lot of Irish genes on this thread I think.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
What I hate is when I go off on vacation and get back and people say "you didn't even get a tan! don't you like being outside?"

STFU.
I've not gotten those exact comments, but I have gotten comments on my pale skin-one person compared me to a Precious Moments doll, and I've gotten the Casper thing, too.

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird, but I've never had much of a desire to get a tan . I'm not a person who fusses much with any part of her body, don't mess with my hair, don't bother tanning, don't wear makeup, don't put on nail polish or perfume or jewelry... If other people want to do that stuff, that's entirely up to them, I don't care. But it's just never been an interest of mine *Shrugs*.

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Hmmm, a lot of Irish genes on this thread I think.
. I've got some Irish ancestry in me. And German, too-aren't those people also known for being rather pale-skinned?

Angela
Old 08-29-2005, 03:35 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
. I've got some Irish ancestry in me. And German, too-aren't those people also known for being rather pale-skinned?

Angela

Yeah most of the Northern Europeans are.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm relatively pale, Polish/Russian and English/Scottish/Irish genes in there. But I can tan, and like to every once and awhile, just not excessively. Of course my friend is half Irish, half Swedish, complete with freckles, and she got the most gorgeous tan this summer.

So yes I am jealous of people with nice tans, but I realise you can't overdo it. And I cannot understand why people would go to tanning salons.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

So yes I am jealous of people with nice tans, but I realise you can't overdo it. And I cannot understand why people would go to tanning salons.
Even if skin cancer didn't exist, why the fuck would you PAY to tan when the sun is FREE?

I LOVE being outside and I get depressed (like that SAD thing) without enough sun light and fresh air (Michigan winters, Sept - May, are torure for me). Going outside instead of to a tanning salon lets me kill lots of birds w/ one stone, so to speak. If I'm going to do homework or study, I do it outside. If I'm going to do chores on Sunday, I go outside and trim hedges. If I'm going to trim my nails or groom my cats, we go outside. Sun exposure (not necessarily tanning, but being outside in the fresh air and daylight) is really healthy.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:15 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

I guess people in cold climates do it sometimes. I know many who go off to Mexico/Florida/Jamaica, etc in winter like to get a base tan.

Then you have the orange people who are like walking Oompa Loompas all year long. Totally weird to me!