Six Year Old Suspended For Sexual Harassment - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Would you have suspended a student for putting his hands inside a girl's pants and onto her back on one occasion? What about the age-old tradition of bra-snapping?
Honestly.....

I do not feel comfortable answering as I am/have/will be dealing with situations like this....and I would hate to think that should someone who knows me think I have set in stone the way I would handle a situation.

I will say this, you cannot treat it as if it happened when I was in school twenty years ago.

There are so many things that are going through my head....

The way our discipline system is set up is that there are categories of offenses. If there are multiple offenses within a category, the penalty increases.

There are offenses in which there is NO EXCEPTION and I have no leway in the punishment. For example, I have had to suspend students for bringing a weapon to school.....I have no wiggle room on this issue. It is set in stone.

Sexual Harrassment could very well fall into this category as well if it is proven.

That is why I said earlier.....there is a difference in my mind between sexual harassement and harassement and I do believe that a fifth grader has a better understanding than a 1st grader about what is going on.

Girls Gone Wild commercials have influenced children to do things......probably more than Victoria's Secrets....and because the commercials are on up to 7:00 AM on some stations.....kids see them.....

Old 02-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Home » Research a Topic » Discipline » Sexual Harassers Can Be Elementary School Students

Sexual Harassers Can Be Elementary School Students

Communicator, PR Primer » October 1993 » page(s) 5

by June Million, NAESP Director of Public Information

Have you inspected your school's bathroom walls lately? By overlooking graffiti—or taking for granted student behavior once considered "horsing around" or "boys will be boys"— a federal law could be violated; your school could suffer a public relations disaster.

Three circumstances have brought this to a head. The stage was set by Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill. Then, in April 1993, the first elementary school peer harassment case "stuck," when the U.S. Department of Education found a Minnesota school in violation for "failing to take timely and effective responsive action to address...multiple or severe acts of sexual harassment" among boys and girls, mainly on buses. Finally, last summer, the American Association of University Women pronounced sexual harassment in schools "epidemic" in a nationwide survey of 1,632 students.

As superintendents, school boards, guidance counselors, and PTAs grapple to develop guidelines, curricula, videotapes, and printed material to explain school sexual harassment and heighten awareness, principals must face the issue openly, squarely, and quickly—using classic public relations.

Check the climate. Ask your staff and colleagues what they've been hearing. Collect local newspaper reports, articles in educational journals; watch TV news, talk shows. How aware is your community?

Adopt a policy. If your district doesn't have a clear policy on sexual harassment (between peers, teachers and students, and employees), start one. Be sure it explains grievance procedures and disciplinary actions that will be taken against offenders. Policies should be published in student and parent handbooks, and clearly understood by staff.

Define the issue, but not in jargon. Staff, students, and parents must understand what sexual harassment is and then know what to do about it. "Speak about it in a way that isn't fearful," suggests Nan Stein, director of the Sexual Harassment in Schools Project at the Wellesley College Center for Research on Women. (For young children, one principal recommends saying that if it makes them feel bad or scares them, it's the real thing.)

Spread the word. Discuss the policy and procedures with staff, who in turn should discuss it with students. Tell parents, too, perhaps in the newsletter and as part of a PTA meeting. Stein, who's developing an elementary school curriculum, urges educators to speak about sexual harassment in a normal tone of voice, always in easy-to-understand language. She recommends intensive training for every man and woman in the building, "point people" who, as experts, can train others and monitor the school community.

One Minnesota school system created a drama depicting several sexual harassment scenarios for all district personnel. As school opened, the topic (in age-appropriate language) was introduced as a matter of course during first-day procedural discussions with students. School newsletters told parents that schools are concerned, that they have a responsibility also, and to expect phone calls and consequences for any offenders.

In Arlington, VA, guidance counselors have written materials for the elementary, middle, and high school levels and, once they are approved, will work with students on awareness. An important part of the lesson is teaching victims to be assertive.

In Houston, TX, school personnel were required to attend a film on sexual harassment and school police presented the topic, along with other safety concerns, to parents on back-to-school nights.

It is critical that principals act quickly and take sexual harassment very seriously. Remember that anything that is offensive to the opposite sex can and might be considered sexual harassment, including tugging at clothes, name-calling, and playground teasing. Cracking down now not only is best for students; it will also create a better climate for learning. And it's certainly good PR.

http://www.naesp.org/ContentLoad.do?contentId=281

Old 02-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #33
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
For young children, one principal recommends saying that if it makes them feel bad or scares them, it's the real thing.
I guess for me, this goes to the heart of what parents need to be keeping the focus on--regardless of whether our children are the ones being harassed or the ones doing the harassing. A sense of respect based on empathy is such a powerful thing. I have never been an administrator (though I would like to, if/when I get tenure) so I can't really speak to the more involved dimensions someone in your place has to consider.

When you say it's not like twenty years ago, do you mean more the legal aspects involved, or do you believe that kids today are simply more inclined to harass than kids were back then? I have never even heard of Girls Gone Wild, probably because we don't own a television (though we do watch DVDs on our PC, and I'll admit to having taken up treadmill running partly because it offers the enticement of watching TV in our gym at work --no cable there, though). But honestly, I can remember so many incidents like these, as well as other forms of "nonviolent" cruelty towards other children, happening in my own grade school. And most of those kids came from homes far too poor to own a television set. Yes, I do realize it's more widespread nowadays, but I'm more inclined to attribute that to the general decline in parental guidance and discipline I see so many other manifestations of all the time. Perhaps I'm just naive?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #34
The Fly

Quote:
What bothers me is that the school is seemingly taking the "cover your ass" approach rather than teaching the boy about appropriate behavior. Punishment is not going to make him learn.

This is the world we live in. People can sue for anything. So the cheapest thing to do is to 'rid yourself of the problem'.

The funny thing is there was no sexual connotation until the 'mature' adults saw it.

society sucks.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]What bothers me is that the school is seemingly taking the "cover your ass" approach rather than teaching the boy about appropriate behavior. Punishment is not going to make him learn.[/Q]

If you believe that you know what the school did based on the article and repeated comments in the article that because the child is a minor the school would not go into the specific details of what happened....more power to you....and may I have your chrystal ball?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by djfeelgood

The funny thing is there was no sexual connotation until the 'mature' adults saw it.

Funny, do you have a daughter?

Mine is raised that if anyone touches her inappropriately she is to yell stop it as loud as she can.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

If you believe that you know what the school did based on the article and repeated comments in the article that because the child is a minor the school would not go into the specific details of what happened....more power to you....and may I have your chrystal ball?
The litigious society we live in dictates that almost an institution take the cover your ass approach. Everything from fast food chains to medicine have been effected. School is no different in that they see plantiffs in civil suits and not common sense.

FYI - I don't have a crystal ball, I read tea leaves.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:25 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

The statement that I quoted indicated MORE than CYA...it indicated that the school did nothing to educate the child....

and that cannot be determined based on the article....
Old 02-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #39
Refugee

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Re: Six Year Old Suspended For Sexual Harassment

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
boston.com

Dorinvil said school administrators told her that her son's infraction was to place his hand inside the waistband of a girl's pants, touching the skin on her back.

I'm sorry! Have i missed something , how is this in any shape or form sexuall harrasment.
He did not touch her bottom,genitals or breasts, maybe the school is looking for a excuse to get rid of the child for other reasons!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]maybe the school is looking for a excuse to get rid of the child for other reasons![/Q]

Like what?

And as for what he touched or did not touch, you cannot discern from the article what happened. I have read about seven articles on this story and the MOTHER who is the only one talking about it has not repeated the same story.

I can say as a vice principal, no one gets suspended without an investigation, and documentation. If it is the policy of the school that this is a non-negtiable penalty (Like weapons in the school) the administrators had no choice.

What leads me to believe there was no choice was the fact that it was reported to the police and district attorney. That would indicate to me that they are following procedures laid out by the elected officials within the community (SChool Committee).

And yes, if a child, no matter what the age brings a weapon into school, it is the policy that the superintendant notify the police and possibly DSS.

While we run around blaming the school, this may very well be a situation where the policy, laid out by an elected SCHOOL COMMITTEE, leaves an administrator's hands completely tied.

WE have no knowledge over the circumstances in the classroom, nor do we know what the state of the little girl was.

Ever delt with a little girl or little boy who thinks she/he was touched inappropriately?

I have. It is not an easy situation since there are many lives that can be affected when such accusations are made.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #41
Refugee

Maybe.... the parents are not paying fees .... or maybe.... the kid's just not fitting in like the drone menatlity that some schools want.... maybe the kid is talking too much in class.... hell i don't know, but what i do know that the whole thing sucks from top to bottom.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!
Maybe.... the parents are not paying fees .... or maybe.... the kid's just not fitting in like the drone menatlity that some schools want.... maybe the kid is talking too much in class.... hell i don't know, but what i do know that the whole thing sucks from top to bottom.
I have been a teacher for eleven years......

Not once have I ever EVER seen a child in an elementary school accused of sexual harassment because they talk too much in class.

What fee's would a first grader have in a public school?
Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #43
Refugee

Did the child bring a weapon... see.... i'm missing something! All i got was the hand on the back thing the other articles were from other cases!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:

I have been a teacher for eleven years......

Not once have I ever EVER seen a child in an elementary school accused of sexual harassment because they talk too much in class.

What fee's would a first grader have in a public school?
We pay "voluntary" fees from kindy! That does not stop some schools from not making you feel bad if you can't pay them!!!
Old 02-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #45
Refugee

Quote:
[Q]maybe the school is looking for a excuse to get rid of the child for other reasons![/Q]

I have. It is not an easy situation since there are many lives that can be affected when such accusations are made.
So, what about the life of the boy, do honestly think he deserves this kind of backlash! And you talk about how the mother keeps changing her story, have you considered that it could be possible that its the media distorting it!
Maybe placing this child elsewhere maybe the best thing the mum can do, because these sorts of accusations stick like mud!