Sir Bono - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
the entire English cricket team got awarded an MBE by the queen last year because they managed to win one tournament against one other team

==> who cares
Are you English ?

If not you wont understand.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #77
you are what you is

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by vaz02

Are you English ?

If not you wont understand.
after being losers for 19 years they'd need to give out awards for winning one match
it will be a while before that happens again with the mentality the english players are showing

living in the uk but am not english
big cricket fan

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 12-31-2006, 12:24 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:45 PM
Well as you know its very rare england with anything in sports and against AUZ in cricket for the ashes its a major thing.

I think quite a few members of the english world cup winning rugby team got honours too.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

29th March 2007 - a day of infamy

http://forum.interference.com/showth...hreadid=174591
Old 06-21-2007, 04:16 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

That's pretty naive to believe no one would ever leak it or accidently speak of it...

Bono mentions it in a pub, onlookers go to the papers. Insiders of the queen's go to the papers...this is the world we live in.

Your argument is a crock. The queen's courtiers are very discreet. U2's inner circle are too. Also, there is nothing 'embarassing' in having it subsequently revealed that someone politely refused an honour.

Your argument fails.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...107432,00.html

"Palace officials are always keen to keep quiet those instances when people refuse honours, though poet Benjamin Zephaniah went public about rejecting a CBE in 2003.

The same year, the Sunday Times acquired official documents that it said listed those who had knocked back awards. The list included actors Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave, the painter L S Lowry, Michael Frayn, the playwright, and artist Frank Auerbach.

The paper said Lowry had turned down more honours than anybody else, with a total of five, including a knighthood, a CBE and an OBE.

The leaked files also showed David Bowie and the comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, Sir Benjamin Britten later Lord Britten, and Honor Blackman among those who had refused honours. Author JG Ballard, who rejected a CBE, is on record as saying he was opposed to the "preposterous charade" of the honours system.

· The article above was amended on Thursday June 21 2007. The reference to Sir Benjamin Britten should take into account that he was later Lord Britten. He was created a life peer, Baron Britten of Aldeburgh in the County of Suffolk, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List, June, 1976. This has been corrected."
Old 06-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

The same year, the Sunday Times acquired official documents that it said listed those who had knocked back awards. The list included actors Albert Finney and Vanessa Redgrave, the painter L S Lowry, Michael Frayn, the playwright, and artist Frank Auerbach.

The paper said Lowry had turned down more honours than anybody else, with a total of five, including a knighthood, a CBE and an OBE.

The leaked files also showed David Bowie and the comedy duo Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders, Sir Benjamin Britten later Lord Britten, and Honor Blackman among those who had refused honours. Author JG Ballard, who rejected a CBE, is on record as saying he was opposed to the "preposterous charade" of the honours system.

· The article above was amended on Thursday June 21 2007. The reference to Sir Benjamin Britten should take into account that he was later Lord Britten. He was created a life peer, Baron Britten of Aldeburgh in the County of Suffolk, in the Queen's Birthday Honours List, June, 1976. This has been corrected."
Let me get this straight, you are saying my argument that it would somehow get leaked is a crock, yet you show me an article that shows leaked documents of those that turned it down?

Am I understand you correctly?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

What I meant was that, and I grant you sometimes leaks do happen, the fact of those people mentioned in the article turning down awards received little enough publicity - even though many of them were famous figures. Alright the Sunday Times went public, but I certainly don't remember any big hoo-ha over the fact that the likes of Bowie was revealed to have turned down an award, for example.

It is only when a person decides to make a big deal of turning down the award THEMSELVES, does it become a big issue in the media.

My point is that Bono could easily (if he so chose) have turned down the award discreetly, without any repercussions.

I think it's stretching credulity to suggest that, had Bono discreetly and tactfully turned down the award (and I avoid using the word 'honour', I don't consider it an honour, considering the number of crooks, thieves and charlatans that have been given them in the past) - that the British political establishment would have gone "how dare that rebellious Irish pop star turn down our baubles of imperialism - let's get our revenge by not giving him what he wants on African debt relief."
Old 06-21-2007, 07:23 PM   #83
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
What I meant was that, and I grant you sometimes leaks do happen, the fact of those people mentioned in the article turning down awards received little enough publicity - even though many of them were famous figures. Alright the Sunday Times went public, but I certainly don't remember any big hoo-ha over the fact that the likes of Bowie was revealed to have turned down an award, for example.

It is only when a person decides to make a big deal of turning down the award THEMSELVES, does it become a big issue in the media.

My point is that Bono could easily (if he so chose) have turned down the award discreetly, without any repercussions.

I think it's stretching credulity to suggest that, had Bono discreetly and tactfully turned down the award (and I avoid using the word 'honour', I don't consider it an honour, considering the number of crooks, thieves and charlatans that have been given them in the past) - that the British political establishment would have gone "how dare that rebellious Irish pop star turn down our baubles of imperialism - let's get our revenge by not giving him what he wants on African debt relief."
But my point was never if it was going to be discreet or not, all I said in that post is that it will be leaked and you just proved my point. Your attack on me and calling it 'a crock' and saying it fails was completely uncalled for, and just flat out false.

But you have to love the irony of you calling my post a croc and then proving it right in the same post. That's classic.