Sir Bono - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #46
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

If accepting this means he's supporting the monarchy and British occupation of N. Ireland, by the same logic declining means he's supporting the other side - the Irish nationalists and the IRA. Stop the double standard.

If he has issues with the Britain-Ireland relation, why not have issues with past of France-Britain too. (and not due to calling Chirac names) Or how about issues on meeting the Pope - he's never been a fan of organised religion.
Why should he have issues with the British-French past? He is neither British nor French....the Napoleonic Wars have nothing to do with current English and French relations at this point in time, that relationship has never directly affected the people of Ireland, except when it conincided with the English-Irish relationship, such as French troops being sent to support the Irish a few times (never quite helped that much though)

I fail to see who declining it means supporting the IRA....would you say that turning down an American award is supporting Al Qaeda? Declining it just means you are recognising the problems that the government have caused in your country and the world. There is no double standard there, declining is taking neither side, I do not see him taking awards from Sinn Fein or the IRA, nor should he. The pope meeting is something else I have issues with, but that is another discussion.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

And I fail to see how accepting it means supporting the Brit troops in Ireland or the Queen, not least of all since the award isn't a political one but a recognition for his activism (and music services).

I said Britain-France because he probably spends a lot of time in the UK (for all we know he may have a Brit citizenship too) and if we're to drag in past conflicts, by all means let's not stop at Brit-Ireland one.

I'm just saying let's apply the standard to both options: if he's a hypocrite and supporting monarchy (and the troops in Ireland) by accepting - he's just as much a hypocrite for declining because then he is supporting the other side - and this doesn't have to include getting awards from IRA. (now that would be hypocrisy since he's never approved of the IRA)

I felt that was consistant with his "taking no sides" values.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

don't you think he would nurture his "taking no sides" values better by adopting a "no, thanks, i won't take any awards from any side" policy?
Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #49
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It is political no matter what it is for, i'm not saying it means supporting Brit troops in Ireland or the Queen I see it as disregard for the injustices carried out here. It is not about what the award is for, but about where it comes from, and I personally in good conscience could not accept it.

The problem here is that British-Irish conflict is not over 130 years ago like the French and British conflict....incidents have happened even in my short lifetime...it is all too recent....and there is nothing similar at all about British-French relations to the relations between Britain and Ireland....the comparison just does not stand.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 AM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
don't you think he would nurture his "taking no sides" values better by adopting a "no, thanks, i won't take any awards from any side" policy?
That or he accepts any/every award, from anyone. You think there wouldn't be newspaper titles on how he's too good to take recognition from the Queen if he declined?

To me saying "no" to an award says more about taking sides than accepting.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

That or he accepts any/every award, from anyone. You think there wouldn't be newspaper titles on how he's too good to take recognition from the Queen if he declined?

unless, of course, that you have already told everyone that you're not going to accept anything.

you are right about the tabloids, though. they will find a way to attack him, regardless of whether he says yes or no.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #52
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Quote:

Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #53
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:46 AM
I completely agree with u2girl on this one.

Plus, he's more interested in using his politics for Africa now. He wants Britain's support on that. Do you think saying "I don't want this cause you are British and I'm Irish" would help his cause for Africa?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #54
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^You put it in too simple terms. If he had politely declined I doubt it would affect his politics. The papers will have a go at him no matter what, doesn't matter whether he accepted or declined. The honorary knighthood will not really benefit Africa anymore than his current position has.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 AM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
"I don't want this cause you are British and I'm Irish"
and why would he have to say that?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
^You put it in too simple terms. If he had politely declined I doubt it would affect his politics. The papers will have a go at him no matter what, doesn't matter whether he accepted or declined. The honorary knighthood will not really benifit Africa anymore than his current position has.
I still think shunning the queen would turn off some of the real politicans there and woud effect his work for Africa.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT

It doesn't compromise his talent, merely something I disagree with him on, though it is an issue which I feel quite strongly about.

In the big scope of things it means little. I am disappointed that he'd accept though.

If he'd quietly turned it down before it was officially offered I doubt anyone would have known. He wouldn't have to make it a slap in the face.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

buckingham palace have obviously asked bono about whether he was going to accept this or not before they made it public. he could have peacefully declined here, and no one, not even on this board, would ever have known about this.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

and no one, not even on this board, would ever have known about this.
You're fooling yourself!!!
Old 12-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

You're fooling yourself!!!
nah, i bet lots of people are offered all kinds of awards and offers from politicians and royal families all the time. many of which are declined, you just don't hear about these.