Sir Bono - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
I can see both sides of this issue. I understand why Irish people in particular would be upset. But even back when the band wrote Sunday Bloody Sunday they were all about healing the divisions - remember, Bono said "This is not a rebel song." So is he really betraying what he's said/done in the past?

It's hard to say. I'm just glad he's not going to have "Sir" in front of his name because that would sound ridiculous and pretentious.
And who can forget the infamous "F___ the revolution" during the Rattle & Hum period.

Perhaps Bono's not as much of a "patriot" as some would like him to be.

Whether he accepts the award or not is of little consequence to me, personally. But I do think that refusing to accept the award will be as much of a political statement, if not more, than refusing to accept it, and I just don't see Bono wanting to go on that direction. Refusing the knighthood would probably hamper his priorities more than accepting it would.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #32
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:15 PM
I don't support the IRA or Sinn Fein, I am a nationalist though in that I do wish Ireland to be reunited at some point. There are many crimes and atrocities committed by both sides, I just find it hard for someone knowing all that has gone on in Ireland over the years to accept a knighthood honorary or not from a government that has generally only helped to perpetuate the problems here and the cause of some.

Honestly the knighthood means bloody all, Benjamin Zephaniah who finance_guy mentioned has had more people listening to him since he turned it down than he had before from what I can see. Politely refusing it would not have hampered him in any way, really it is only a personal badge of honour, not a greater signifier of new political power. I also believe Bob Gelfof should have refused as well.

It doesn't make me hate them, tis just something that I dislike that they accepted, that is my own personal take on it though.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:15 PM
It doesn't bother me. In fact, I'm thrlled for him. I certainly don't think it will hurt his political goals. I'm primarily of Irish Protestant stock, from the Southern part of the U.S. Many U.S. Southerners are of Irish Protestant extraction. I don't think his acceptance of Chilean and Argentine awards are a big deal either, even though both of those nations are guilty of injustices of the highest order.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
...the Scottish, or any other group that is being ruled by Britain.
Given that three of the most powerful men in British politics today (Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and John Reid) are all Scottish, given the West Lothian Question and given that Scotland is geographically part of Britain...is your phrasing perhaps a bit out of date? I'm assuming (probably wrongly) that by "ruled by the British" you mean "ruled by the English". What I'm trying to say is that the Scots have a huge amount of influence over British politics at the minute and indeed with the Scottish Parliament are probably the most independent of all UK nations!

And another thing about your post- you forgot the Welsh! They're always being overlooked, poor things

(Sorry Dreadsox. All what I've written sounds like I'm trying to get at you and I really don't mean to. I just don't think you can fairly mention Scottish and Irish nationalism/identity in the same breath. They're too different. Scottish nationalism (it seems to me) has fair more in common with Welsh nationalism than Irish.)

As for Sir Bono, I can see why people might have a problem with it.

I just think he deserves it far more than the usual B-listers celebs who usually crop up on New Year's Honours Lists. I do agree though with some newspapers who were annoyed that Blair has leaked Bono's knighthood earlier than the rest (presumably to gain favourable media coverage for himself). I don't think that was right.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheQuiet1
(Sorry Dreadsox. All what I've written sounds like I'm trying to get at you and I really don't mean to. I just don't think you can fairly mention Scottish and Irish nationalism/identity in the same breath. They're too different. Scottish nationalism (it seems to me) has fair more in common with Welsh nationalism than Irish.)
You would know more about it than I.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
He said himself, he only cares for the white part of the Irish flag.

Declining it based on any past British injustice against the Irish would mean he's implicitily supporting the other side - including the IRA.

It's not like he's been the Irish version of Braveheart all his life and I don't recall any of his quotes bashing the British Queen/King. Unlike his thoughs on the IRA and not taking sides in that particular conflict which do exist. This is IMO consistent with his views.

Too bad he didn't throw the Legion of honour in Chirac's face due to Britain-France past either, the rebel.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:09 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

You would know more about it than I.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #38
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:15 AM
It's seemingly another recognition, another reward or award being offered Paul Hewson aka Bono. Whether he chooses to accept or not is merely his choice and I doubt he cares what anyone else would think no matter his choice. While "Sir" Bono does seem a bit presumptuous, I don't believe this recognition has anything to do with or with compromising his talent-what a ridiculous comment to have been made. to Mr Hewson on this honour.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #39
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Declining it based on any past British injustice against the Irish would mean he's implicitily supporting the other side - including the IRA.

It's not like he's been the Irish version of Braveheart all his life and I don't recall any of his quotes bashing the British Queen/King. Unlike his thoughs on the IRA and not taking sides in that particular conflict which do exist. This is IMO consistent with his views.

Too bad he didn't throw the Legion of honour in Chirac's face due to Britain-France past either, the rebel.
For a start that first paragraph is ridiculous...no it does not mean you are supporting the other side by declining it, does accepting it then mean he's implicitly supporting the UVF, LVF, UFF? No.

You don't have to be the Irish version of Braveheart to take issue with it, i'm certainly not, the problem is that there are many things left unresolved here in Ireland that the British government is partly to blame for, incidents that have occurred in my lifetime (i'm only 20), and within the past 30 years....it is all still very recent...it is not the distant past, as some people seem to believe.

Anyway, for what reason would he throw the legion of honour in Chirac's face? The English-French wars hmm last one being the Napoleonic wars? Quite a while ago, plus Bono's Irish not English...French and Irish relations have been quite alright throughout history, except for the Norman invasion in the 12th century. Though saying that I don't think he really should have accepted that either, considering a quote in 1996 Europe MTV awards"What a city, what a night, what a crowd, what a bomb, what a mistake, what a wanker you have for a President"....not exactly the greatest example of consistency from Bono there, is it?

It doesn't compromise his talent, merely something I disagree with him on, though it is an issue which I feel quite strongly about.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

great post there, LJT.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT

considering a quote in 1996 Europe MTV awards"What a city, what a night, what a crowd, what a bomb, what a mistake, what a wanker you have for a President"....not exactly the greatest example of consistency from Bono there, is it?

That was only about France testing the nuclear bomb in the Moruroa atoll which was supported by Chirac.
I don't think his statement there would be any reason not accepting a French award, or an example of inconsistency.

I understand your feelings about him accepting the British honour very well from that standpoint, I just don't see the artistic integrety issue finance_guy mentioned.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:00 PM   #42
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree with you that it doesn't affect his artistic integrity....it is just annoying me that some people seem to be making light of the history regarding Ireland and Britain in some threads on Interference, dismissing the relevancy of it all, especially in regards to what it means for an Irish person to accept such an award, even though the award is for his humanitarian work, where it comes from is an issue.

I still see accepting the French award as an inconsistency though, going from thinking Chirac is a 'wanker' to gladly accepting an award is incongruous with his original negative opinion of him....unless Bono made a public retraction/apology for his statement.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think that's more an honour he receives from France, not from Chirac.

I don't know how it works exactly, but I think to reject such an award only because of one thing he doesn't agree with Chirac, and for what he blamed him strongly, wouldn't be necessary.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LJT

For a start that first paragraph is ridiculous...no it does not mean you are supporting the other side by declining it, does accepting it then mean he's implicitly supporting the UVF, LVF, UFF? No.

You don't have to be the Irish version of Braveheart to take issue with it, i'm certainly not, the problem is that there are many things left unresolved here in Ireland that the British government is partly to blame for, incidents that have occurred in my lifetime (i'm only 20), and within the past 30 years....it is all still very recent...it is not the distant past, as some people seem to believe.

Anyway, for what reason would he throw the legion of honour in Chirac's face? The English-French wars hmm last one being the Napoleonic wars? Quite a while ago, plus Bono's Irish not English...French and Irish relations have been quite alright throughout history, except for the Norman invasion in the 12th century. Though saying that I don't think he really should have accepted that either, considering a quote in 1996 Europe MTV awards"What a city, what a night, what a crowd, what a bomb, what a mistake, what a wanker you have for a President"....not exactly the greatest example of consistency from Bono there, is it?

It doesn't compromise his talent, merely something I disagree with him on, though it is an issue which I feel quite strongly about.
If accepting this means he's supporting the monarchy and British occupation of N. Ireland, by the same logic declining means he's supporting the other side - the Irish nationalists and the IRA. Stop the double standard.

If he has issues with Britain-Ireland relation, why not have issues with France-Britain past too. (and not due to calling Chirac names) Or how about issues on meeting the Pope - he's never been a fan of organised religion.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:34 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

If he has issues with Britain-Ireland relation, why not have issues with France-Britain past too. (and not due to calling Chirac names) Or how about issues on meeting the Pope - he's never been a fan of organised religion.
well, maybe bono should stop the double standards!