Single-Sex Education in Public Schools - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lynnok
Remember that these children have brothers and sisters, live in the community, participate in coed extra curriculars and have ample opportunities for interaction.
Remember this isn't true for everyone. Please don't assume so.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

My sibling and I are both products of single sex education. Neither of us have noticed an inability to interact with
members of the opposite sex nor does he suffer from lack of self esteem.
Is this in the public or private sector?

Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Is this in the public or private sector?
both private
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I liked being in class with boys. How else would Robert have asked me out in 2nd grade?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I went to private schools b/c the local public school in my district is a joke and it's probably the worst elementary school around. So I always went to school with pretty much an equal number of girls and boys, even through college. I never noticed either sex struggling as a whole. I think different individuals might learn differently, but I'm not sure the average differences between sexes are so significant that it's worth segregating classes.

I asked Phil for a more informed opinion, since I am a computer technician and he is student teaching right now. He started making angry gestures at the ceiling and then said we would talk about it later.

As an aside, I have worked with all men for the past 5 years and I love it. I had mostly girlfriends as a kid, but now I prefer working with men.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The public high school I teach at has not made AYP in a few years. As part of our restructuring plan the freshman core classes (English, Social Studies, Math, Science) are now gender specific. This is our pilot year. In fact, my school has implemented the middle school model of small learning communities. The freshman are paired with the honors students (b/c supposedly the honors kids will set a good example for them. )

There was a little complaining at the start of the school year but the gender specific classes are really a non-issue now. I'll reserve judgement until the end of this school year.

fyi--> about 72% of the students who attend my school qualify as low socio economic status students.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I teach 7th grade languages arts in a middle school.
We do not currently have same gender classes, but I have been advocating them for several years.

I also teach in our districts summer school program (which has same gender classes) and it changes the entire tone of the classes. The students focus on the assignments and do much better work.

One interesting thing is that the boys are more willing to dicuss things and read their compositions to the class.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #23
She's the One

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:

My sibling and I are both products of single sex education.
This is something to consider. Parochial schools have been doing this for centuries. There should be a body of research about it somewhere.

And that's what bugs me about this guy. He's backing up his claims with old research that doesn't really back up his claims. Does he cite any research actually done on single-sex education? Because that would be the place to start, one would think. Sure brain research is important, but educational research might at least be considered.

And as I alluded to before (and was roundly misunderstood), when education was the exclusive right of boys, no one was all that worried about how boys did in school. Now that teachers have been women for tens of decades, and now that girls are doing well, suddenly we have concerns about the "feminization" of education and how boys can't handle it the way it is. Is that a coincidence? Is it a causal relationship? I suspect it's a combination of things, and at least one ingredient is the upset of male hegemony.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
The public high school I teach at has not made AYP in a few years.
Ouch.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
One interesting thing is that the boys are more willing to dicuss things and read their compositions to the class.
This is the kind of thing this guy should be researching!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #26
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
In fact, my school has implemented the middle school model of small learning communities. The freshman are paired with the honors students
So they're actually in class with students who are from multiple grade levels? (Sorry if I'm being dense here--I know in a general sense what "small learning communities" are, but can't quite picture the specific setup you're describing.)
Quote:
As part of our restructuring plan the freshman core classes (English, Social Studies, Math, Science) are now gender specific.
So you have some classes which are mandatory single-sex for everyone, but then all students also take some coed classes? Interesting. Is there a reasoning behind doing it that way rather than 'all-or-nothing' (meaning they're either in exclusively coed or exclusively single-sex classes)? and why those particular classes?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #27
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Also...question for either WHA or iron horse...are the teachers for your single-sex classes necessarily of the same sex as the students?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Also...question for either WHA or iron horse...are the teachers for your single-sex classes necessarily of the same sex as the students?

In our summer school program I work with a core team of four teachers for our assigned students.

-two females
-two males

In my experience and from what I hear from the other teachers, the gender of the teacher does not matter in how the students respond.

Like I said before, it just cuts out a lot the distractions and gender games that so often go on with middle school age students.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:44 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

So they're actually in class with students who are from multiple grade levels? (Sorry if I'm being dense here--I know in a general sense what "small learning communities" are, but can't quite picture the specific setup you're describing.)
Only students entering 9th grade for the first time are in gender specific classes. The repeaters are not in gender specific classes. Small learning communities are made up of a group of teachers that all share the same students. My school has taken it one step farther by dividing up the building into 3 different "houses." (Green House, Gold House & Rocket House-->freshman & honors) I'd like to go on the record and say I don't like the idea of segregating the building.

Quote:
So you have some classes which are mandatory single-sex for everyone, but then all students also take some coed classes? Interesting. Is there a reasoning behind doing it that way rather than 'all-or-nothing' (meaning they're either in exclusively coed or exclusively single-sex classes)? and why those particular classes?
The reason is financial. District will not pay for extra sections of art, foriegn language, business, or Family & consumer science classes.

9th grade students actually have 6 gender specific courses. I forgot PE & reading; all PE classes (9-12) are gender specific. As part of our restructuring plan, freshman students are required to take a reading class if they do not meet a certain standard on their entrance test.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Ouch.
Tell me about it. This year has been horrible.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
No. Although for next year teachers were allowed to request boys or girls.