Sincere question.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Sincere question....

Sorry if this is the wrong forum in which to post this question. Feel free to move a more appropriate forum if one exists.

Is there a guide somewhere that addresses what kind of topics/discussions are unacceptable around here (Feedback as a whole, not just FYM), and what leads to "banishment" or closing of threads? I'm not trying cause trouble, and I'm not trying to say that we need such a document, I'm just wondering if there is one out there. I find myself increasingly cautious about what I post, simply because I'm getting more and more confused about what's considered a "bad" thing around here. It's making it less fun around here.

Also, if this has been discussed recently, just point me to that thread. I'm not trying to bring up a sore subject or rehash old news.

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

"You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." - TMBG

[This message has been edited by Spiral_Staircase (edited 01-11-2002).]

Old 01-11-2002, 04:55 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 AM
There is, obviously, an unwritten code of political correctness. I think that, honestly, you should just use your best judgment. You know which kinds of subjects push PC buttons.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Old 01-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:41 PM
I think moderating powers are sometimes threatened too quickly. I would not mind this forum having a somewhat more laissez-faire attitude.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 01-11-2002).]
Old 01-11-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mug222:
I think moderating powers are sometimes threatened too quickly. I would not mind this forum having a somewhat more laissez-faire attitude.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 01-11-2002).]

Yeah, I would have to agree with you.

Healthy and sometimes heated discussion is what makes Free Your Mind so interesting. If everyone posted pure PC posts, it would be a bit boring in here.

CK
Old 01-11-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
FROM ELVIS:
Everyone upon joining agrees to the terms of the forum, they are LOOSELY enforced... if you abuse your privledges here on the forum, and it deals with those terms, mods and admins will be enforce the terms of use as needed. We do want this forum to be as free and open as possible, but certain people do not know when 'enough is enough'.
------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP
Old 01-11-2002, 05:18 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheU2:
Healthy and sometimes heated discussion is what makes Free Your Mind so interesting. If everyone posted pure PC posts, it would be a bit boring in here.
I only have one piece of advice to you. You have severely compromised your own reputation by your posting style, which is generally flippant, sarcastic, and most certainly not serious.

That may be all well and good, but how do you expect people to take you seriously ever like that? Personally, I was not offended by your thread, and I was fully prepared to answer it thoroughly before it was closed. I am disappointed that it was closed, but certainly not surprised.

My suggestion to you is to take up a newbie moniker for your serious posts, never reveal it is you, and never use it as flippantly as TheU2. As much as one may not want to admit it, the source determines the accuracy more than the message at times.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 01-11-2002, 05:27 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
I only have one piece of advice to you. You have severely compromised your own reputation by your posting style, which is generally flippant, sarcastic, and most certainly not serious.

That may be all well and good, but how do you expect people to take you seriously ever like that? Personally, I was not offended by your thread, and I was fully prepared to answer it thoroughly before it was closed. I am disappointed that it was closed, but certainly not surprised.

My suggestion to you is to take up a newbie moniker for your serious posts, never reveal it is you, and never use it as flippantly as TheU2. As much as one may not want to admit it, the source determines the accuracy more than the message at times.

Melon

Yes, I do realize that some people may initially characterize the "Gay Voice" thread as being sarcastic or insincere due to the style of my previous posts. That is why I blatantly defended the post when it started to receive negative posts. You can also refer to a post on the first page where I explicitly say that the generation of the thread and my subsequent replies were not to be taken for any form of sarcasm.

Alas, I don't think that is the issue of why it was closed. I guess its not a wise thing on the board to challenge what a mod said or disagree with what they said.

CK
Old 01-11-2002, 05:29 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:

Melon

And melon, I'd be curious to see what your opinions on the issues I presented in the "Gay Voice" thread are. SInce I believe that the admin of the board doesn't think that this is a proper place to have this discussion, drop me an email.

U2_kennedy@yahoo.com

CK
Old 01-11-2002, 05:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Alas, I don't think that is the issue of why it was closed.

It was going to be closed to begin with. I just gave you a break and you blew it, so what's your point?

Quote:
I guess its not a wise thing on the board to challenge what a mod said or disagree with what they said.

No one says you cant disagree with a mod. You just dont know when to quit.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP
Old 01-11-2002, 05:51 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:

Alas, I don't think that is the issue of why it was closed.

It was going to be closed to begin with. I just gave you a break and you blew it, so what's your point?
Let me preface by saying I'm not being sarcastic or insincere.

I'd rather end the discussion here. However, you have asked a question that I will try to answer once you tell me where I blew it. If you don't want an answer from me, lets end the discussion.

CK

Old 01-11-2002, 05:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm done with you.

And I believe Elvis told you to lay low.

Obviously you are not one to heed authority.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP
Old 01-11-2002, 06:08 PM   #12
War Child

I definitely agree that sometimes people don't know when "enough is enough".

I assume the terms referenced by Elvis are these (and those surrounding them at http://forum.interference.com/cgi-bi...&COPPAcheck=OK ):
"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

I realize that, in practice, most of these are often violated in here. I'm fine with that. It's good that things are LOOSLEY enforced.

Looking at that list, I would say there seems to be little tolerance here for the inaccurate and the harrassing, while the vular, the obscene, the profane, and the sexually oriented go nearly entirely unchecked.

I know I'm making way too much of a big deal about this. I realize this is only an internet forum.

Ahhhhh nevermind! This is an enjoyable place. Let's try and keep it that way without all the bickering, posturing, and threats.

In other news:
Hey, remember that time me and Billy were pickin' apples. That was the best! Just a shoe horn and a little elbow grease. That's all I ever needed to pay the bills! I guess she flipped that thing about fast as anybody could've hoped. Man, those were some good times...good times.
Old 01-11-2002, 06:16 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I think the best way to go about things is just to use common sense. If you start a thread, knowing that it may offend people, then you set yourself up for flaming. It's that simple.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!
Old 01-11-2002, 06:18 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah you forgot this part...

"We at Interference.com reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever"

Anyway... being a mod is not very easy, though most people seem to think it is. And its impossible to check EVERY thread and EVERY post. I wish people werent so quick to pass judgement.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP
Old 01-11-2002, 06:19 PM   #15
Refugee

The one and only reason i dont post as much is because of Mods. Period. Some are great, others are power hungery.

I do however read every post posted on FYM and look over Everything you...

The Gay voice thread is not offensive. Give me a fuckin break this isnt high school. Cant people disscuss things that are politically incorrect without getting their heads chopped off.

You go into a topic that you fell uncomfortable with. Leave. Not to hard.

And lastly mods should never insert themselves into topics that are heated because if anything ever makes them mad they have the power to end the topic or ban people. Its a conflict of intrest!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono