silver lining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
ok,

the election did no go the way you wanted

Every rain cloud has a silver lining

is there any silver lining in your local election results

In California we passed a bond issue to fund stem cell research.

and we modified our 3 strikes law
so people will not get a life sentence for stealing a pizza.

We also passed an open primary law so the corrupt parties have less of a strangle hold on elections.

Last edited:
deep said:
ok,

the election did no go the way you wanted

Every rain cloud has a silver lining

is there any silver lining in your local election results

In California we passed a bond issue to fund stem cell research.

We also passed an open primary law so the corrupt parties have less of a strangle hold on elections.

:up:

Yeah, nice sentiment, but my man Carville just as good as called it for Bush just now. Said he wishes he didn't have to, but it looks like his sources in Ohio say it's over.

I was way too hopeful this time 'round. Given what happened last time, I really don't know why. I hope the bloody pollsters got some nice info on *why* the hell this happened. I hope it was fear, but fear it was something else. or I dunno; maybe it *all* comes down to fear in the end, blech.

I am going to have a shitty day tomorrow I can feel it.
sulky for sure. i can feel my eyebrows taking on a good hard knit and it's giving me a headache just to think about.

silver lining; silver lining; I hope I see some tomorrow in the light!

If Kerry loses, could this be one reason?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20041102/tc_pcworld/118431

Me thinks it could be one good possibility.:yes:

deep, I'm glad that you're happy with several voting referendums in California - some kind of silver lining for you.

Down here in Texas, I lost my Congressman to Tom DeLay's underhanded redistricting tactics, so the rain clouds are very black where I am. :|

But I never give up! Don't you either.:hug:

.....or more votes were stolen from Kerry, headache.

It's all how you look at it.

Following you logic, why is Bush even the President when more people voted for Gore in 2000? :scratch:

Let's not argue - my comments were to show support for deep.

In terms of the EU strengthening (very slowly though) it is a good thing for European capital (and only for the capital) that Bush is going to fuck up U.S. economy.

Europe is finding its own identity those years.

I think that political polarization in America is a good thing. If Bush is President for another 4 years - which is not cast in stone yet, with new ballot counts in Ohio etc. - but anyway is very likely - we have many more Americans who protest, people who are politically motivated, people who are actually interested in politics. That´s a good thing.

hiphop, you are completely correct.

The one thing that Bush has been successful in is in motivating people to learn more about political issues and getting them involved in the political process - if only to mobilize against him and his cronies.

I really don't think that the Republicans know the underlying anger toward them in the USA for tampering with and trying to steal the democratic fabric of the USA from us. :ohmy:

I can only tell you - this doesn't stop tonight. :up:

Oh please, this is democracy in action - the majority have given Bush a mandate - don't go crying about the death of democracy if you don't win because it looks just like what it is - pathetic.

Jamila said:
hiphop, you are completely correct.

The one thing that Bush has been successful in is in motivating people to learn more about political issues and getting them involved in the political process - if only to mobilize against him and his cronies.

I really don't think that the Republicans know the underlying anger toward them in the USA for tampering with and trying to steal the democratic fabric of the USA from us. :ohmy:

I can only tell you - this doesn't stop tonight. :up:

maybe, but I fear that it's deeper than that. I fear that there is an incredible polarization, and that if he wins the popular vote by a good margin that it will mean there are people out there in big numbers who think he's pretty lousy but who sooo disagree with those who supported kerry on things like gay marriage, stem cell research, separation of church and state etc that we're talking about very very deep divides. It goes beyond cronies. It's as if even those voting for bush are willing to believe he's looking out for cronies and big oil and whomever, are willing to look past trashing the environment, are willing to look past convenient misinterpretation of intelligence, lack of it, all of this...
for the sake of something bigger. I hope that's not what the pundits tell me tomorrow but I worry that it is...

Last edited:
I voted for Kerry today, but I'm glad Bush is probably going to win. I hope he does. I think my vote was turned around again today because I really compared the two guys and I just do not like John Kerry. I can't warm to him. Bush definitely has the values this very conservative country looks for. Period. Other western countries can't understand a very conservative and becoming more conservative, religious country. Like they said on one of the stations tonight, the U.S. is more like Saudi Arabia, etc., then other western countries when it comes to conservatism and religion, which to me is quite a compliment, BEING a conservative, religious American.:)

I think, bottom-line, like everything else in this world, and especially in America, it all comes down to religion, and yes, how closely tied it is to politics here - which other western societies just don't understand. That's really why they have such a hard time with Bush and about how Bush can get reelected.

Basically they are saying this election was decided by religious people who go to church at least once a week. I agree.

I don't even think the states on the fringes of the country that went democratic can understand the center of the country (which is part of their problem).

So, is there a big silver lining for me. I certainly hope so, being a conservative, religious American. I think that somehow this is a good thing that Bush gets reelected. Something to do with religion. Sure, it'll be hard for the American people in the Middle East. But, I think the Americans wanted that, are up for the task. I think Americans are great people. Amazing. Like Fidel Castro once said about us, Americans are "noble people." I think the message being broadcast to people all over the world by religious people all over America is that we, the religious people of the world are up for and ready for a fight. We are willing to stand up for what we believe in, and our God.

Really, when it all comes down to it, all this fight in America, between America and Europe, between the Middle East and America comes down to religion. That's the way it is. America isn't a religious country for no reason. God knew what he was doing.

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

maybe, but I fear that it's deeper than that. I fear that there is an incredible polarization, and that if he wins the popular vote by a good margin that it will mean there are people out there in big numbers who think he's pretty lousy but who sooo disagree with those who supported kerry on things like gay marriage, stem cell research, separation of church and state etc that we're talking about very very deep divides. It goes beyond cronies. It's as if even those voting for bush are willing to believe he's looking out for cronies and big oil and whomever, are willing to look past trashing the environment, are willing to look past convenient misinterpretation of intelligence, lack of it, all of this...
for the sake of something bigger. I hope that's not what the pundits tell me tomorrow but I worry that it is...

Yeah. I like that. It radicalizes politics. Brings it back to the man on the streets.

Sure it´s gonna hurt. What did ya think? We can just hope there is no violence involved.

But it´s better than silent sheep mass idiocy. Americans care so much about politics right now that they were and will be on the streets. That´s fine. Political action is not a chocolate cake.

Last edited:
U2Traveller said:
I think the message being broadcast to people all over the world by religious people all over America is that we, the religious people of the world are up for and ready for a fight. We are willing to stand up for what we believe in, and our God.

Really, when it all comes down to it, all this fight in America, between America and Europe, between the Middle East and America comes down to religion. That's the way it is. America isn't a religious country for no reason. God knew what he was doing.

Ready to fight heh?

No offense intended, but from my personal Catholic view: Shame on you and your misled religious ideals. You are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus condemned fighting.

It is sad to see this "religious freedom fighter" emotions. I wonder when you´ll start burning the flags. It´s only a matter of time.

But like I said above, that´s better than sheep mass idiocy.

Agreed HipHop, one need not fight for the purpose of fighting, or make enemies of former allies, or create a divine authority to rule - the "religious freedom fighter" is motivated by the same feelings as those who seek wholesale destruction of all that we hold dear.

No more angry christian nation - more dedication to the protection of human rights and liberty the world over through all available avenues.

Thats the spirit :wink:

Buy calenders now, you can start crossing out the days.

Hmm but since Bush wasn't really elected in 2000 he should be able to run in 2008 :hmm:

Last edited:
deep said:

66 Passed?

The one thing that reduced crime in this state over the last 10 years.

Watch the crime rate go up and wonder why it happened.....

U2Traveller said:
I voted for Kerry today, but I'm glad Bush is probably going to win. I hope he does. I think my vote was turned around again today because I really compared the two guys and I just do not like John Kerry. I can't warm to him. Bush definitely has the values this very conservative country looks for. Period. Other western countries can't understand a very conservative and becoming more conservative, religious country. Like they said on one of the stations tonight, the U.S. is more like Saudi Arabia, etc., then other western countries when it comes to conservatism and religion, which to me is quite a compliment, BEING a conservative, religious American.:)

I think, bottom-line, like everything else in this world, and especially in America, it all comes down to religion, and yes, how closely tied it is to politics here - which other western societies just don't understand. That's really why they have such a hard time with Bush and about how Bush can get reelected.

Basically they are saying this election was decided by religious people who go to church at least once a week. I agree.

I don't even think the states on the fringes of the country that went democratic can understand the center of the country (which is part of their problem).

So, is there a big silver lining for me. I certainly hope so, being a conservative, religious American. I think that somehow this is a good thing that Bush gets reelected. Something to do with religion. Sure, it'll be hard for the American people in the Middle East. But, I think the Americans wanted that, are up for the task. I think Americans are great people. Amazing. Like Fidel Castro once said about us, Americans are "noble people." I think the message being broadcast to people all over the world by religious people all over America is that we, the religious people of the world are up for and ready for a fight. We are willing to stand up for what we believe in, and our God.

It sounds like you're very confused. Yes America is growing increasingly conservative a trend that when history proves itself is dangerous.

I don't think you could be anymore wrong. I've been a Christian all my life and Bush couldn't be any farther from my values.

Last edited:
The only "silver lining" I can think of right now is that Bush can never run again

I look forward to his retirement :|

At least the Red Sox still won the World Series..the Republicans can't do anything about that, can they? :wink:

I've been a Christian all my life as well and he doesn't represent my values either.

I think we need to be careful in making generalizations like that.

Jamila said:
If Kerry loses, could this be one reason?

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20041102/tc_pcworld/118431

Me thinks it could be one good possibility.:yes:

Maybe you oughta, you know, actually read the articles you post:

Reports of problems were evenly spread across states leaning toward Democratic challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) or toward Republican President George Bush (news - web sites), as well as in states that could go either way, Doherty said from Arlington, Virginia, where Verified Voting set up an "election protection nerve center" that had fielded more than 50,000 calls by midday Tuesday.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It sounds like you're very confused. Yes America is growing increasingly conservative a trend that when history proves itself is dangerous.

I don't think you could be anymore wrong. I've been a Christian all my life and Bush couldn't be any farther from my values.

Eh. No one really measures up to my values, either. So, I voted for Kerry.

Back
Top Bottom