Silly Mrs. Clinton - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

i really liked when you came in here and started that thread. you kick ass
thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #227
Refugee

Quote:
It's a different one or two posters in every thread - very rarely do the logic-less anti-marriage posters return (at least to FYM) once they have experienced this 20-on-1 facts-on-assertions phenomenon that "keep right" guy (can't remember the numbers in his username) ran from.

But it also makes for a boring thread - the same 8 posters (sometimes myself included) reiterating the same logical points while somebody spouts one of the four items on the list you made and then ultimately gives up or, in the case of one recent poster, gets himself banned. They are usually relatively new posters, at least to FYM, and as someone pointed out earlier, often young enough that they can't legally marry themselves (perhaps hence that angle of argument?). Obviously they can't be ignored - it's too hard for many of us to stay silent when faced with that kind of hate, especially when it is not composed as a solid argument. But it makes for a really boring thread over and over and over again.

edit: I forgot! It's also a conversation that nearly always occurs in a thread that started out with a different topic (though I agree with Yolland's assessment about this thread).
Varitek,

*clears throat* -- are you referring to me as following this 'method'?

Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #228
Refugee

Quote:
Nothing like Christian conservatives blathering on about the "sanctity of marriage" and then wanting a couple to get divorced when even they don't want to!
Melon,

Yes, it is a privilege to address you by your proper, original interference name again. The winky at the end would imply that this was a 'joke', as it literally was copied and pasted from an unfortunately forwarded email.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #229
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
winky

Thanks MadelynIris. I think this thread needed more winky. I don't know why but that word has put me in a fit of giggles tonight.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #230
Refugee

What the world needs now, is more winky.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM   #231
She's the One

Local Time: 03:01 AM
And no quoting of yolland?
Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #232
Refugee

Yolland rocks.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #233
Blue Crack Supplier

the medications are making my head swim and glad i avoided this thread.

MI: your semantics are really transparent. i know, you're trying to lead us on some (il)logical path that will some how get us to see that all hell will break lose if i get married because then everyone will get to do what they want and when we all get to do what we want then no one gets what we really want because sacred totems or whatever will be broken and once they're gone we'll see why we needed them in the first place.

crap. come off it. please come to see that what makes my romatic relationship tick is no different than what make your romantic relatoinship tick, and the fact that we both have penises is utterly incidental to the love that binds us.

you can dance around this all you want, pretend your'e being really progressive (!!!) and people like BluerWhite will ignore the fact that the Democrats have all basically said that they simply won't support marriage equality for political reasons -- which is cowardly, but Obama brought up, recently, how MLK never focused on Virginia's anti-miscegenation laws in the early 1960s and stressed pragmatism, which is something i can listen to now rather than either Republicans who say they hate me, won't even acknowlege my presence, or people like you who are so patronizing and think that such dazzling anti-logic logic will suddenly get us all to realize just how special opposite genitalia actually is -- and at the end of the day all you are saying is that you are a better, more worthy, more important person than i am predicated on the basis of sexual orientation.

it's really that simple. there's no two ways around it. from a political standpoint, i can understand strategery when it comes to marriage equality. on a personal level, opposition to marriage equality is evidence of one's own bigotry and ignorance and refusal to view gay relationships as worthy as straight ones.

if you want to say that, just come out and say it. please, do us the favor of that. none of this brother/brother stuff. just be honest.

oh, and as for whatever else this thread was about, i am startled to say it, but i've totally warmed to "Mrs. Clinton." i have great fears about her, but at this point, she's clearly the frontrunner, she'll destroy the Republicans, and despite all my issues with her she is the one thing Bush is not: COMPETENT.

you might love her or hate her, but she knows that government exists for things other than to get Brownie a job.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:01 AM

Welcome back, Irvine.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #235
Blue Crack Supplier

thanks.

now that i've typed it, i wish my semi-official "first post back" wasn't so angry sounding, but perhaps that just means i'm on the mend.

no worries, MI, sorry if i was a bit harsh sounding.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #236
Refugee

Irvine,

Hmmm... what you fail to see here, is that I am ok with you getting married. Knock yourself out.

But, I say expand it beyond sexuality. How does that hurt you or anyone?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #237
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

But, I say expand it beyond sexuality.
Here's the thing, you haven't shown any use for this.

If brothers want tax cuts and health insurance there are ways to do this without marriage.

If friends want this just let them get married, they'll have a sexless marriage. Most marriages do become sexless sooner or later.

The fact is that you just haven't shown anyone who wants this or why there is a need for this.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #238
Refugee

BVS,

Here is a quote from a governmental page in Canada. Although, it gives no specific examples, it explains that they have arisen over the years and the intent of this law is to recognize them:

Quote:
11.) Why were current Alberta laws changed?

Over the years, courts and lawmakers have recognized the need for laws to address the financial and property issues of people in committed relationships outside of marriage.

Because committed unmarried relationships create financial dependencies and responsibilities, the government must:

ensure our laws clearly outline the responsibilities people willingly take on when they enter into a financially and emotionally interdependent relationship; and,
provide access to the courts or other legal mechanisms to settle disputes when these relationships come to an end.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #239
Refugee

Apparently Mexico City passed similar law:

http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?2006/11/09/6

Quote:
Mexico's government has a long history of feuding with the church, but the Mexico City law's sponsors insist it does not undermine heterosexual marriage. They call the pending unions legal contracts between two individuals in a homosexual, heterosexual or even platonic relationship, Reuters reported.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #240
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
They both just sound like a way to apease the bigots.

Separate but equal, or in this case separate and less equal.