Silly Mrs. Clinton - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #211
Refugee

Local Time: 12:43 PM
Back to the subject at hand:

Quote:
Dear Abby,
My husband is a liar and a cheat. He has cheated on me from the beginning, and, when I confront him, he denies everything. What's worse, everyone knows that he cheats on me. It is so humiliating. Also, since he lost his job six years ago, he hasn't even looked for a new one. All he does all day is smoke cigars, cruise around and bullshit with his buddies while I have to work to pay the bills. Since our daughter went away to college he doesn't even pretend to like me and hints that I may be a lesbian. What should I do?
Signed: Clueless

Dear Clueless,
Grow up and dump him. Good grief, woman. You don't need him anymore! You're a United States Senator from New York running for President of the United States. Act like one!!!!
Silly Mrs. Clinton!

Old 08-13-2007, 09:48 PM   #212
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Be careful, 2861 may call that hate speech.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #213
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Considering its trajectory, I have to disagree with the insinuation that this thread ever really had a 'subject'...

I do find it ironic that so many people seem to find it easy enough to perceive Hillary Clinton (agreements or disagreements with her actual platform aside) as a dutiful 'good wife' who forgives her husband's iniquities for the relationship's sake, when such an attitude almost certainly wouldn't be extended to a male candidate whose wife had such a (public) history. Then again, I don't think these kinds of relationship crises and how the two people involved choose to handle them are really anyone else's business, and in any case, it's an unworthy basis for judging her political acumen.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #214
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 AM
Well Madelyniris just cleaned everybody's clock-quite handsomely I might add.

dbs
Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #215
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:43 AM
How so?

Did you read the same thread I did?
Old 08-14-2007, 12:10 AM   #216
She's the One

Local Time: 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I do find it ironic that so many people seem to find it easy enough to perceive Hillary Clinton (agreements or disagreements with her actual platform aside) as a dutiful 'good wife' who forgives her husband's iniquities for the relationship's sake, when such an attitude almost certainly wouldn't be extended to a male candidate whose wife had such a (public) history. Then again, I don't think these kinds of relationship crises and how the two people involved choose to handle them are really anyone else's business, and in any case, it's an unworthy basis for judging her political acumen.
But it's all they got.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #217
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
Back to the subject at hand:

Silly Mrs. Clinton!
Nothing like Christian conservatives blathering on about the "sanctity of marriage" and then wanting a couple to get divorced when even they don't want to!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #218
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Well Madelyniris just cleaned everybody's clock-quite handsomely I might add.

dbs

I give credit to MadelynIris for not being blindly biased, unlike many opposing gay marriage.

Congratulations on another hit-and-run post that brings nothing to the topic.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

What exactly does her marital relationship have to do with her run for President?

Rudy Giuliani's kids apparently hate him too Where's the dear Abby letter for that?

Many people choose to stay with spouses after affairs and infidelities of many different types, whose business is that but theirs?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Jesus. Does no one read the fucking countless threads on this anymore? Or do they forget what they posted?
It's a different one or two posters in every thread - very rarely do the logic-less anti-marriage posters return (at least to FYM) once they have experienced this 20-on-1 facts-on-assertions phenomenon that "keep right" guy (can't remember the numbers in his username) ran from.

But it also makes for a boring thread - the same 8 posters (sometimes myself included) reiterating the same logical points while somebody spouts one of the four items on the list you made and then ultimately gives up or, in the case of one recent poster, gets himself banned. They are usually relatively new posters, at least to FYM, and as someone pointed out earlier, often young enough that they can't legally marry themselves (perhaps hence that angle of argument?). Obviously they can't be ignored - it's too hard for many of us to stay silent when faced with that kind of hate, especially when it is not composed as a solid argument. But it makes for a really boring thread over and over and over again.

edit: I forgot! It's also a conversation that nearly always occurs in a thread that started out with a different topic (though I agree with Yolland's assessment about this thread).
Old 08-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #221
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
But it makes for a really boring thread over and over and over again.
Indeed. Can you imagine the poor sods who have to have that arguement in real life everytime they come across someone like that? :shudder:
Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

You seem to be suggesting the 'romantic' and 'religious' aspects are one and the same. But civil marriage presumes a longterm romantic relationship just as clearly as religious marriage does. Why does broadening that definition to include gay couples (a type of romantic relationship) call for dismantling the whole premise altogether? I think this is why you're attracting suspicion--it's hard not to see it as a way to avoid legitimizing gay relationships as 'real' romantic relationships worthy of founding a household deserving of government benefits upon. Because that, of course, is what all the controversy out there ultimately boils down to. It's not about whether adults with dependent relatives or friends deserve certain special legal benefits to assist them in that effort.

Sounds like Alberta (which also recognizes same-sex marriage, so this isn't an 'alternative' to that) had quite a different set of interests in mind in implementing this act.

I was going to write a response like this, but Yolland's is perfect.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Indeed. Can you imagine the poor sods who have to have that arguement in real life everytime they come across someone like that? :shudder:
That's why I happily live in the only state where gays can get married (and my mothers were among the first to do so), and why I happily attend a very liberal college, and so forth. We've got diversity on a number of counts but biggoted opinions are not one.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #224
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That's why I happily live in the only state where gays can get married (and my mothers were among the first to do so), and why I happily attend a very liberal college, and so forth. We've got diversity on a number of counts but biggoted opinions are not one.
i really liked when you came in here and started that thread. you kick ass
Old 08-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #225
She's the One

Quote:

See. This is why I say the kids will save us.